Some skills for you all to practice (works on street and track)

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I picked up few really neat *exercises* in my last training and would like to pass them on to you all.

1. This one can be practiced by riders of all levels. Hopefully you already know that initiating turns is done by a deliberate countersteer (press right to go right, press left to go left). Hopefully you also know that once the lean angle is set, there should be no additional handlebar input. We are talking about speeds above 15mph (not the slow-speed counterweight turns).
Throttle input aside, once you've set the lean angle ask yourself: "Do I still need to keep pressure on the inside grip to keep the bike leaned over and turning?"

If the answer is yes, start leaning your upper body into the turn. As you do this, you should feel less pressure on the inside grip. Ideally, you want to get to the point where there's very little pressure on either grip. You can do this in every turn, but it obviously works better in long sweepers (more time to find the balance).

The point behind this technique is to teach you to never *lock* the handlebar. The bike constantly corrects itself and you don't want to get in its way. It will also allow you to get feedback from the bike.. you will feel the front wheel *finding* its path. When you lock the bar, you feel nothing. When you master this, it may also prevent low-siding.. since most riders tend to keep pressure on the inside grip as they go through turns and if the front wheel happens to hit a bump, it's easy enough to steer the bike too much, unintentionally (particularly when you ride close to your limits).

2. This one is more advanced and works particularly well for riders who are already comfortable with trail braking (using front brake). It also helps if you use 1 or 2-finger braking vs all 4 fingers.

Once you spot your line out of a turn (when you can draw a line from apex to exit), begin rolling on the throttle with your ring and pinkie fingers (assuming 2-finger braking) as you continue to ease out the front brake with your index and middle finger.

The benefit: no coasting and more importantly for bikes like FZ6 and FZ09.. much smoother transition from off to on-throttle! :thumbup:

The potentially safer and less advanced way to practice this is to brake and accelerate in a straight line using this approach. Once you're comfortable with it, begin using the same technique in turns.

Hope you have as much fun practicing these as I do :cheer:

Dumas

Reaction score
Visit site
I have been practicing the second technique you can tell when you do it right. Entry speed is increased even tough your still slightly on the brake. heres a link that explains it.
403 Forbidden
Why it says forbidden i don't know

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have been practicing the second technique you can tell when you do it right. Entry speed is increased even tough your still slightly on the brake. heres a link that explains it.
403 Forbidden
Why it says forbidden i don't know

Increased entry speed is the result of trail braking (vs getting all your braking done while straight up before initiating turn). The roll-on while still braking will result in increased exit speed and a smoother transition from brake to throttle. :thumbup: