One or two tires?

C

CombatPenguin

Ok I got a small brad nail in the the rear tire the other day (stock dunlops) I dont mind the tires and they have only 2500 miles on them. I'm not a fan of patch kits and if the tire needs to come off it's just getting replaced. The question is the front tire is still good do I replace both of them or just the rear? I was thinking of getting the dunlop roadsmart tire. so it kinda matches I guess. Also should I stick with the standard psi the bike sticker says or go a little higher I'm about 220 pounds? also what's and average cost for a tire change?

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
Personally I'd take the opportunity to change them both. The stock tires are ok, but I's prefer to put some after market tires on. As soon as I can justify changing mine, they are history.

J

jsteinb95

If you only replace one tire, make sure it is the same one. You don't want to run mis-matched tires. How "good" is the front tire? If it's close to done, just replace both.

W

wrightme43

At 2500 miles if I were you I would replace the rear with a stock replacement tire. That being said you have the Dunlops. They dont last very long compared to the bridgestone stocks. I have not had good experinces with dunlops. I am sure the aftermarket high quality ones are great. I just havent had them, I had the stock ninja 250 dunrocks that were basicly rim protectors. LOL

Cycle gear is having a special on frt/rear pair of pirelli that you might look into.

H

HavBlue

If you only replace one tire, make sure it is the same one. You don't want to run mis-matched tires. How "good" is the front tire? If it's close to done, just replace both.

OK, this is true to a point and generally not within the same brand/manufacturer. An example of this would be running the stock D252 front and replacing the rear with a D208 or the Roadsmart. You could go the other way too by putting the Roadsmart on the front for whatever reason and running the D252 stock tire on the rear. The way you don't want to do it and this is due to the characteristics of the various tires from other manufacturers is to run one manufacturer on one axle and another on the other axle. That doesn't generally work out to well and the feedback you get from the tires can be rather confusing.

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
as far as matching tires you should keep both of them the same, as far as a difference you prob wont see one other than possible wear unless you get caught in the rain. Here in upstate NY many shops wont mount tires unless you buy from them my dads shop does but at our discretion! You have to be careful of buying online or out of a magazine because some of them buy rejects or etc. they aren't fully up to snuff. We mount tires they bring in but charge $55/hr and take our time. point is the shop that mounts the tires is liable so that is part of why they dont do it! Just check around first! Plus on top of that if you buy a pair from us we mount and balence for free!