The real way to remove a stubborn oil filter

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
I worked at an oil shop an we used something similar.... they work great, but the filter shouldn't be that tight (especially if you did the last change.)

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Never used the screwdriver method as it sounds really messy. I always use a set of large adjustable pliers...works really well on both my truck and bike.

gomd3

Reaction score
Visit site
I do all my oil changes so the filter isn't super glued onto the bike... but when I bought the FZ I had to use the screwdriver method cause the last owner probably used the oil wrench to tighten that sucker down... tight space on the fz also

DocFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
The best thing to do is swicht to a K&N filter. It has a nut on the housing and all you need is a ratchet and socket set up. Easy on, easy off. It makes it easy to torque to the proper setting as well.

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
The best thing to do is swicht to a K&N filter. It has a nut on the housing and all you need is a ratchet and socket set up. Easy on, easy off. It makes it easy to torque to the proper setting as well.

I've heard too many people complaining that they break the bolt when tightening when no torque wrench is available. May be BS?:don'tknow:

Combat

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah I had to use the screw driver method on my first oil change. Damn dealer had that thing ridiculously tight.

Discofrank

Reaction score
Visit site

effort! :p

just smear a small bit of oil on the seal
and hand tighten works perfect! on bike and my car

plus used same method on every vehicle of have changed the oil on

wish i could have $1 for it too id be a rich man