Operator Error?

Chaching

Reaction score
Visit site
On my way to work today, I slowed down for a school zone. At 25MPH, I was at 2500 RPM (I think was in 4th gear). I went to accelerate and the engine stalled. Tried to shift it into 1st and could not get it 1st gear. Started going in 2nd and stalled. Lucky I was at a red light and no one was behind me. After about five tries…finally I got her in 1st gear and no more problems rest of the way to work.

Question- What caused me not able to get it back in 1st gear?
:jawdrop::jawdrop:

2008 FZ6 (240 Miles)

Last edited:

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
The tranny doesn't always line up very nicely when downshifting from higher gears. Next time try rocking the bike back and forth when downshifting at a stop. Or start the engine and let the clutch out just a bit to where you can feel the engine starting to apply power to transmission, then try to downshift. Either way you do it, the result should be the same. Just gotta line everything up. Good luck.

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I had something similar a couple weeks ago. After a minor rear-wheel skid slowing down from 50 to 0 for a line of stopped cars, I was a little distracted and didn't downshift properly. I find I have to fully remove my foot from the lever for it to "ratchet" back into position so that I can push it down to a lower gear. I guess I was tapping it down too quickly without letting it reset itself, and that doesn't cause the gear to drop. So I didn't know quite what gear I was in when I stopped, still being a little flustered from the skid, but it seemed like I'd tapped it down about 10 times, so I thought I must be in first by now. Stalled trying to start. Probably was still in 2nd or 3rd gear. Stalled a couple more times, getting more flustered as I was backing up traffic. Finally got my head back on, figured it out, and was on my way.

Keits

Dela-Where?
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.myspace.com
I had something similar a couple weeks ago. After a minor rear-wheel skid slowing down from 50 to 0 for a line of stopped cars, I was a little distracted and didn't downshift properly. I find I have to fully remove my foot from the lever for it to "ratchet" back into position so that I can push it down to a lower gear. I guess I was tapping it down too quickly without letting it reset itself, and that doesn't cause the gear to drop. So I didn't know quite what gear I was in when I stopped, still being a little flustered from the skid, but it seemed like I'd tapped it down about 10 times, so I thought I must be in first by now. Stalled trying to start. Probably was still in 2nd or 3rd gear. Stalled a couple more times, getting more flustered as I was backing up traffic. Finally got my head back on, figured it out, and was on my way.

I've done exactly what you just described (more than once) minus the skid. I'm sure most of it is a direct result of me being a new rider with a new fizzer. Now that I've figured out how to deal with the tranny not always downshifting properly, I have minimized the frequency of the embarassing stall in traffic...

OkieDavid

Reaction score
Visit site
Tip: Remember- To cover those embarassing "stalls", immediately begin lightly slapping at your throat/chest as if a wasp was stinging you. We're on motorcycles and folks always expect us to be getting covered up with bugs. A quick two handed swat/brush as if to remove a stinging insect from your collar converts it from an operator error to an intentional act......Adding in a glance at the ground (to spot the offending culprit) upon restart adds another touch of realism to the theatrics. Cagers won't have a clue and other bikers will think "hey...that's a cool way to cover a screwup"...

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
Tip: Remember- To cover those embarassing "stalls", immediately begin lightly slapping at your throat/chest as if a wasp was stinging you. We're on motorcycles and folks always expect us to be getting covered up with bugs. A quick two handed swat/brush as if to remove a stinging insect from your collar converts it from an operator error to an intentional act......Adding in a glance at the ground (to spot the offending culprit) upon restart adds another touch of realism to the theatrics. Cagers won't have a clue and other bikers will think "hey...that's a cool way to cover a screwup"...

NICE! :rof:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you go to all those lengths just stalling a motorcycle. What are you like at work:sinister:

Nelly

H

HavBlue

Depending on what is actually going on with traffic and the hazards therein, I probably wouldn't have bothered with first as the bike will take off from a dead stop in 2nd without too much hassle. Reason being, I want out of there so I won't be wasting time looking for first.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Man, I needed to read that last summer when I was learning! :rof:

Keits

Dela-Where?
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.myspace.com

Hilarious!! But WAY too much to go through:p