Racing Cost

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
So if a track day cost 100-200, how much does it cost to get involved in racing? Forget the kit and bike stuff, I know about that. It's the fees associated with it that I'm wondering about.

For example, in the UK to race enduro and H&H you have to be a member of the ACU and a club. ACU yearly cost is around £45 for the year and a club membership is around £35 for the year. Then there's a per-race entry fee that varies anywhere from £35 to £50 per individual and for longer races (i.e. the 12-hour team event I'm doing on the 21st) £100 for the team. So that gives:

ACU Fee 45
Club Fee 35
Race Fee 40 (avg)
Total 120 <-- First race then just the race fee after that

You still have to have the ACU license to road race in the UK, but what about the other costs? Is it similar in the US?

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
You can make a small fortune racing motorcycles....

....you just have to start with a big fortune.

Check out the CCS or WERA boards if you're interested in US racing

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So if a track day cost 100-200, how much does it cost to get involved in racing? Forget the kit and bike stuff, I know about that. It's the fees associated with it that I'm wondering about.

For example, in the UK to race enduro and H&H you have to be a member of the ACU and a club. ACU yearly cost is around £45 for the year and a club membership is around £35 for the year. Then there's a per-race entry fee that varies anywhere from £35 to £50 per individual and for longer races (i.e. the 12-hour team event I'm doing on the 21st) £100 for the team. So that gives:

ACU Fee 45
Club Fee 35
Race Fee 40 (avg)
Total 120 <-- First race then just the race fee after that

You still have to have the ACU license to road race in the UK, but what about the other costs? Is it similar in the US?

Oh the million dollar question. I haven't road raced the motorcycle in 20 years, however I have done many seasons of bicycle racing.

My last season, in 2005, was about 4 months, 12 weekends in total, I spent out $8,000 with equipment and coach.

The big hidden cost isn't fees but travel. Gas, food, hotel. I would budget $300 to $500 a weekend for travel. Most of my trips were from Austin to Dallas or Houston, about 500 to 600 miles round trip and the family came with me so we stay in mid-priced hotels.

My annual USCF international licence was $125, club membership fee, $50 for the year, four races for the weekend was about $60.00 to $75.00. Tires, $60.00 each, 4 to 6 a season, chains, uniforms (to replace the ones you crash in) $200.

Also don't down play the maintence of your bike, oil changes, brake pads, tires, brake fluid, etc. When I was racing I changed oil every other race weekend, bleed brakes each weekend, replaced brake pads twice a season, tires every three to four weekends. It all depends on how hard you ride and how anal you are about maintenance. I look at it this way, a good maintenance plan help ensure you finish the race and protect your, and your fellow riders safety.

If you can find a buddy to go with, and friends to stay with you can save a lot of money, but regardless it ain't cheap, however it is SO much fun and you will meet some really cool people.

If you can swing it, DO IT! oh and post your stories. :popcorn:

Last edited:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Honestly i get as much enjoyment out of working at the track as i think i would racing. I get to hang out with all the same people, I get to see the racing up close and personal (I am a corner worker and pick up the riders that crash, and am training to be a corner captain, so i am out there making the calls as well) I get to work on the bikes (but not have to pay for it ;)) and and all the riders really appreciate what i do to help keep them safe.

I also get in for free for the weekend, get free lunch, get free dinner, and get paid $55-$85 per day, plus free camping, and many times they give you US Marshall shirts, jackets and such...

??:hijack:??

Just my take on it, but it is a way to get "Into" racing without going broke in the process, and a way that not many think of.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:bow: hellgate

These days, to win, you'd be changing your expensive slicks multiple times a weekend....rubber is the number one cost so long as you don't end up in the hospital.

Very true DI. The best guys in my club changed tires each weekend, I couldn't afford it. In fact I would buy their used tire for $15 to $20 bucks. What the number one guy called bad, the number 100 guy called GREAT!

I ran Michelen Hi-Sport in the R compound and I could get almost a whole season out of them. Remember I weighed only 145 lbs at the time and my bike was only 300 lbs. The guys on the 750s and 1100s ATE tires.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:bow: hellgate

These days, to win, you'd be changing your expensive slicks multiple times a weekend....rubber is the number one cost so long as you don't end up in the hospital.
Thank god we got the NHS, you can be re-built time and time again lol.