R6 Gauges on FZ6?

td301

Reaction score
Visit site
I know the FZ uses the R6 motor. Are the R6 gauges plug and play on the FZ6? I acquired a wrecked FZ6 without the front fairing or gauges. I figured used r6 gauges can be had cheap. I know I can build a mount for it, just concerned about the plugs/wiring.

(I've used magnetic bicycle speedos on streetfighters before but I'd prefer real gauges if it doesn't require much tweaking.)

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
I seriously doubt that the wiring harness will work as plug and play. About the actual speedo, I doubt it`ll work as well, since I would assume the ECU between the R6 and the FZ6 are different as well (different maps, different sensors...), but I may be wrong... even if the ECUs are different, the signals may be similar enough to be interpreted properly by the R6 speedo, however, my bet is that it won`t work at all.

I am using the Koso RX1N speedo from here: :: KOSO NORTH AMERICA :: gauge, gauges, motorcycle gauge, car gauge, motocross gauges, automobile gauge, atv gauge, speedometer, tachometer

I got speed, tacho, neutral + turn signals, clock, trip meters, 0-60 timer (plus a whole bunch of other fun timers you can use to time yourself from a stop)... I do not have the engine warning light, nor the oil pressure indicator. The koso does come with 2 temp. sensors that you can use if you want to (I didn`t).

Other than that, did you consider getting a used FZ6 speedo? what year is your FZ?

Good luck :)

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
I seriously doubt that the wiring harness will work as plug and play. About the actual speedo, I doubt it`ll work as well, since I would assume the ECU between the R6 and the FZ6 are different as well (different maps, different sensors...), but I may be wrong... even if the ECUs are different, the signals may be similar enough to be interpreted properly by the R6 speedo, however, my bet is that it won`t work at all.

I am using the Koso RX1N speedo from here: :: KOSO NORTH AMERICA :: gauge, gauges, motorcycle gauge, car gauge, motocross gauges, automobile gauge, atv gauge, speedometer, tachometer

I got speed, tacho, neutral + turn signals, clock, trip meters, 0-60 timer (plus a whole bunch of other fun timers you can use to time yourself from a stop)... I do not have the engine warning light, nor the oil pressure indicator. The koso does come with 2 temp. sensors that you can use if you want to (I didn`t).

Other than that, did you consider getting a used FZ6 speedo? what year is your FZ?

Good luck :)

So, Wavex, how fast is the 0-60 time and any others you can track with that speedo.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................:hijack:

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
haha I was waiting for that... I think last time I played with it, I did a 0-60 is like 4.1 seconds, which is pretty bad, but it was just a test from a light... yes, it was in city traffic lol.

I have to find a place where I can spend some time really trying to set my best time, and I have not done that yet.

You can set the timer for 0-60mph, or you can set it for a 1/4 mile, or any distance between 0 and 1mile.... you can also set it so it`ll record all parameters as long as your speed increases... so for example, I take off and go all the way to 6th gear until I get no thrust left and brake... as soon as the speed starts decreasing, the timer stops... then I can review how long it took me to get there, along with the max speed reached, and the max rpm the engine put out.

It's a pretty fun speedo, but LA traffic is not great to test it out :D

td301

Reaction score
Visit site
Those Koso gauges are really nice but a bit pricey for me. The RX1 and the RX2 models look the part. The simple tachs they have are tempting and pretty reasonable.

My FZ is an '04 and I'd consider the FZ6 gauges too but a quick look at eBay showed several R6 gauges available. How about FZ1 or R1 gauges? I want to avoid the LCD tachs though.

I'm illiterate on how those gauges work. You mentioned the ECU. I know the Trailtech Vapor gauge uses the spark plug wire. My brother has one on his NT650 Hawk...it's not the best. The tach jumps all over the place.

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Those Koso gauges are really nice but a bit pricey for me. The RX1 and the RX2 models look the part. The simple tachs they have are tempting and pretty reasonable.

My FZ is an '04 and I'd consider the FZ6 gauges too but a quick look at eBay showed several R6 gauges available. How about FZ1 or R1 gauges? I want to avoid the LCD tachs though.

I'm illiterate on how those gauges work. You mentioned the ECU. I know the Trailtech Vapor gauge uses the spark plug wire. My brother has one on his NT650 Hawk...it's not the best. The tach jumps all over the place.

Well yes, if you get an aftermarket speedo, you`ll have to tap your coil ignition wire, setup your speed sensor etc... but your question was to put an R6 speedo on your bike... these won`t come with the wires/sensors you need to do that. Same with the FZ1, R1 etc etc gauges... so you`ll only have the wires that come from your ECU to get the speed and tach signals... in other words I don`t think any of these speedos will work. I might be wrong, but i`d bet on it :)

Last edited:

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
haha I was waiting for that... I think last time I played with it, I did a 0-60 is like 4.1 seconds, which is pretty bad, but it was just a test from a light... yes, it was in city traffic lol.

I have to find a place where I can spend some time really trying to set my best time, and I have not done that yet.

You can set the timer for 0-60mph, or you can set it for a 1/4 mile, or any distance between 0 and 1mile.... you can also set it so it`ll record all parameters as long as your speed increases... so for example, I take off and go all the way to 6th gear until I get no thrust left and brake... as soon as the speed starts decreasing, the timer stops... then I can review how long it took me to get there, along with the max speed reached, and the max rpm the engine put out.

It's a pretty fun speedo, but LA traffic is not great to test it out :D

It looks like you need to take a trip to texas. Plenty of roads around here to test it out on.:thumbup:

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site

Yea the R6 ECU and FI is completely different. We use a batch fire system where as the R6 uses sequincial (spelling) injection. It would be neat to try maybe you could some how put together some sort of harness. It would be neat for sure. But it sure wont be a plug and play.

However the injection has nothing to do with the cluster. If you could figure out which wires controlled the tach and speedo. The fuel level and coolant temp wouldnt be too toug, it would just depend on what teh scale of the gauge is. Ie would a half tank of gas read half tank on the gauge?

The really tricky part would be the error codes, and that would be the major issue with the different ECU. You might just have to put in a red LED so it would just light up when ever you threw a code.

-bryan

Last edited:

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
However the injection has nothing to do with the cluster. If you could figure out which wires controlled the tach and speedo. The fuel level and coolant temp wouldnt be too toug, it would just depend on what teh scale of the gauge is. Ie would a half tank of gas read half tank on the gauge?

The really tricky part would be the error codes, and that would be the major issue with the different ECU. You might just have to put in a red LED so it would just light up when ever you threw a code.

-bryan

The FZ6 has one single wire carrying the tach and speed data from the ECU to the speedo... so forget about tinkering with it...

I don`t have error codes on my Koso... these are for kids anyway :D

phxtravis

Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 has one single wire carrying the tach and speed data from the ECU to the speedo... so forget about tinkering with it...

Yep...from my understanding and memory, only the Neutral, power, turn signals, and high beam can reall be read by anything other than the OEM unit...Thats the picture I got from starring at the wiring diagram for hours.

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, I got to that conclusion too after staring at it for the same amount of time (if not more lol).

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site

I agree with you on the codes , however some people need them to know that the bike is messing up. Other like ourselves can tell by the seat of our pants, so to speak.

I havent had time to study the wiring diagram from our bike, or that of the R6, but I am sure it would be an interesting mod.

I am assuming you have already been through it with your aftermarket cluster.

-bryan

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with you on the codes , however some people need them to know that the bike is messing up. Other like ourselves can tell by the seat of our pants, so to speak.

I havent had time to study the wiring diagram from our bike, or that of the R6, but I am sure it would be an interesting mod.

I am assuming you have already been through it with your aftermarket cluster.

-bryan

Yeah Bryan I tried to use the ECU signal with the Koso, but forget about it. It's a modulated signal that needs to be interpreted by the speedo, and I believe only the FZ6 speedo can do that. You may be lucky with the R6 speedo, but again, considering the different FI maps, tachs etc... I doubt you`ll get it to work... and if it works, it won`t be accurate.

I agree about the codes, I am sure I could use them too in case something happens, but I`ll have to figure it out the good old way by troubleshooting :)

phxtravis

Reaction score
Visit site
Just a quick note...I still have the oem wiring harness stuck in the fairing, so technically I could run both the Vapor and the OEM unit...

Easom

Reaction score
Visit site
Guages / Ignition

Ok I have a guage/ignition question to ad.

I have option to buy a wrecked 2004 R6. Only front end damage. No structural damage except for the front fairing bracket. Upper fairing broken in half, Lights are gone, guages are gone. Looks like the wiring plug for the guages is bent up/broken. The bike looks very well taken care of. clean gas tank like Mint. minor/minor little scratches on rest of the fairing panels. Estimate less than 10,000 miles. It's been sitting for 2 years. Needs new rear tire.

Oh! Key is missing... Nice.... Clear non salvage tittle.

I can get the bike for $1,100 USD. It's been years since I've owned a bike and was looking for something to build up a batpod style bike. I'm good mechanically and can fabricate aluminum stuff. Plate or cnc. This seemed like such a good deal till I found out about the ignition/guage issue.

Ok, My question. Is this a nightmare, or can I throw down 1,100 and bypass the ignition (easy toggle hack) and drive this thing around with my own headlight and fairing mod without the guage pod. Or does this bike need the guage pod and actual keyed ignition to run properly. I don't know anything about the computer controlled issues with speed/tach and fuel dilivery stuff.

Or.... Could I rebuild with oem parts for about 1,200 + the 1,100 initial and sell the bike for around 4,000?

Any sugestions or help would be greatly appreciated. Oh! it has one of those fancy steering damper thingys bolted to the forks.

Thanks....

Cory