just got my first bike .

Limey

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi folks brand new rider here just bought my first bike yesterday FZ6 Blue 2006 model
Loving every minute of it.
riding in the Okanagan ,BC:Sport:

Limey

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks .

Thanks for the response. I am also new to the forums so was not sure if I had posted.

I am not sure I will appreciate the tru "Blue Speed" for a couple of years.
Still Just feeling My way on two wheels.

W

wrightme43

Welcome
If your a new rider this can be a very dangerous time for you. I would highly reccomend some reading (D. Hough's Profcient Motorcycling) is a great start.
I would also reccomend gearing up in your best crash protection, and several hour for several days in a row of parking lot practice. If you covered in sweat, and your arms ache, and your legs are throbbing and jumping when your done, your doing it right. Its work practicing emergency stops, and swerves. Figure eights get hard as speed, increases, and diameter goes down.
I am very glad your here. I hope you keep coming back.
I do want to be very upfront though, this is just your very life. The skills you take with you into traffic are what you have to use when the time comes.

One last thing. All motorcyclists start out with a empty bag of experince, and a full bag of luck. The trick is to fill your experince bag, before the luck bag runs out. Nobody knows how big your luck bag is.

This is great fun, I love riding, you will love riding. Just approach it with your mind.

Limey

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the welcomes and advice

Thanks All for welcoming me.
Thanks Also to Wrightme43 for the tips.
I did take a riding course from V-Twin School In Okanagan, Highly reccomend to any one in BC interior.

These guys gave me the confidence to buy the bike a full weekend of parking lot training followed by another of road and street training plus a whole lot of theory.
I still have a very limited bag of knowledge but will continue to practice and learn all ai can.

W

wrightme43

Good deal, keep that practice fresh, and you will be fine. I had no idea what I was getting into, and luckly for me some old timers sat me down, and explained what I needed to do. I thought I was good to go with a helmet, lace up hiking boots, and blue jeans. I didnt know how far I could lean, or how fast I could stop. I thought the front brake was dangerous. One of the guys I look up to most is basicly a total ***, but he is a good, safe, fast, and effcient rider and bike mechanic. If I have a problem or a question, he will take the time to answer it, or give me crap untill I figure it out for myself. I try real hard to just be nice about the advice I give. I think he has just given it and not had it taken so many times, its gotten old.
Anyway sorry for the rant, welcome and again, I am very glad your here, and I hope you stay around.
Steve

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
the most important thing...be comfortable with your bike. that should be your #1 goal.

Everything else grows out of comfort with your bike.

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
Practice, Practice, Practice

Congrats on your new purchase.
I have been riding since i was about 7. My dad started me out on motocross, until i got up to 11, then i went into the junior road coarse class they have here. I have fallen many times and been in the hospital a few. Wrecks happen, more so when you race everyweekend on the track. Just remember gear can save your life. It may take a few more minutes to gear up, but it only takes a second for an idiot driving a car and taking on the cell phone, to mess you up for the rest of your life. Just like wrightme43 said, spend many hours practicing in a parking lot. I have been riding for awhile now and i still spend 2 hours everyother sunday (weather permitting) practicing braking and figure 8's. I go to the local mall parking lot at about 9 o'clock, all of the stores close at 6 so this gives time for everyone to leave. Don't worry about cops, at least the cops around here, if you are practicing to get your road skills up they will usually encourage it.

Take your time and have fun.

P.S. Getting "over confident" is the main reason for most first time rider accidents. Respect the bike and she will respect you.:thumbup: