Do you critique other riders while you drive?

Do you Critique other riders while you drive?

• Yes, I critique how he or she rides.

Votes: 38 70.4%
  • No, I don't care or pay any attention how he or she rides.

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • No, I'm too busy checking out the bike.

Votes: 13 24.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I find myself doing this more and more while I drive the company vehicle. I see a rider in front of me and not only do I watch how they rides, but what kind of gear he has on. I judge the way how he handles the bike during stops, lane changes and most importantly, lane choice and line. Today, I was following a bike as we came off the surface street onto the freeway. I said to myself, if he had any brains at all, he would merge across the four lanes into the far left. He did, but in my opinion, he choose the wrong line. He was in the right line, where I would have opted the left, allowing some cusion on the right from bad lane changes, plus there was plenty of room on the left emergency lane for an escape route.

Last edited:

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Yup. I critique safety gear and technique.

Here's a hint, if you feel the need to drag your feet all the way through the intersection after the light turns green, you should not be riding on public roads yet.

Also, the helmet is not there to protect your left elbow.

W

wrightme43

I watch everyone. Sometimes I learn good things, some times what not to do.
For example
Today
Fourlane divided (68-80/31w for Charlie) I am heading into town, rider on CBR is head out. I am behind garbage truck, with van in front right lane. Left lane my direction is a truck towing trailer with lawn equiptment.
Rider is turning left.
I see him lock up the rear brake, slide a little sideways, let off, sorta turn into the cut thru to turn left, and then shoot right in front of the van.

There was no one behind him, and no one behind me. He could of stopped and lost less then 3 seconds. Instead he shot in front of a van that almost hit him. Brakes in the truck and van went on, making the garbage truck slow as well. I was already on mine when I saw him start across. I was in my truck on the way to go work.

Helmet, gloves, and backpack.

So hell yes I watch others. I wish wish wish wish I could watch myself. I cant wait to go to a track day with control riders to watch me, or a school with instructors to watch me.

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When I'm on the bike I'm focused on traffic and road hazards so no. When I'm driving the cage I usually don't have riders around me long enough to critique them. They are splitting lanes while I'm stuck in traffic so all I have time for is make/model identification so no there too.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I wish wish wish wish I could watch myself. I cant wait to go to a track day with control riders to watch me, or a school with instructors to watch me.

you'll also get to look at endless pictures and some video which is extremely helpful when paired with control rider instruction.

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
I watch everyone. Sometimes I learn good things, some times what not to do... I wish wish wish wish I could watch myself. I cant wait to go to a track day with control riders to watch me, or a school with instructors to watch me.

+1 to this. I'm going to do the advanced rider course so I can get someone to watch me closely and give me tips.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Even though the results of the poll is still early, it appears that the majority of us do critique other riders while we drive. So in other words, you never know who's watching you ride, so be sure you ride smart!

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I find myself doing this more and more while I drive the company vehicle. I see a rider in front of me and not only do I watch how they rides, but what kind of gear he has on. I judge the way how he handles the bike during stops, lane changes and most importantly, lane choice and line. Today, I was following a bike as we came off the surface street onto the freeway. I said to myself, if he had any brains at all, he would merge across the four lanes into the far left. He did, but in my opinion, he choose the wrong line. He was in the right line, where I would have opted the left, allowing some cusion on the right from bad lane changes, plus there was plenty of room on the left emergency lane for an escape route.
I try not to do it in a negative way, its how I learn.

Nelly

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I spend most of the encounter checking out the bike but if they are doing anything obviously wrong i do notice and usually make a comment if i am with someone around.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I do it, but mainly more so the gear that the rider is wearing, i cringe when i see someone riding in shorts, t-shirts, sandals, etc

Most of the time, most riders tend to be responsible, but occasionally i see someone do something stupid, and think to myself...temporary citizen!

But i spend the majority of the time watching my own butt, it's scary out there, especially in grid lock, cagers love to jump out of lanes, with no indicator, from a standstill, to get to the front of the shorter line in the lane next to them.

:)

H

HavBlue

!
But i spend the majority of the time watching my own butt, it's scary out there, especially in grid lock, cagers love to jump out of lanes, with no indicator, from a standstill, to get to the front of the shorter line in the lane next to them.

:)

OH YEAH!!! Very entertaining and #1 on my list of what to do.

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
Yup. I critique safety gear and technique.

Here's a hint, if you feel the need to drag your feet all the way through the intersection after the light turns green, you should not be riding on public roads yet.

Also, the helmet is not there to protect your left elbow.

I drag my feet sometimes through an intersection, not because i cant ride, there really is no reason. If i am riding for a long ride sometimes i will prop my feet up on the rear pegs to have a different leg position. No real reason except it is different. Sometimes i ride with an ipod but most of the time i dont. Everyone has something they do that will make other riders think they cant ride....you may not notice it but everyone has something. Maybe i do things like ride the clutch for a long time leaving a stop just to make people think i cant ride then when we go out to the road course i whoop up on them......:sinister:

I also never ride out of my garage without a helemt. I agree that helmets look better on your head than hanging from the side of the bike.

AJ_rider

Published FIZZER
Reaction score
Visit site
Generally I will spend most of my time looking at the bike rather than the rider, trying to distinguish year/make/model/mods and stuff like that. After that I'll take a gander at their gear, or lack there of, as the case may be. From what I've noticed for the most part most sport riders around here dont gear up, which to me is strange because we havent but one or two days hotter than 75 degrees. No excuse (not that its a good one) for not gearing up. Oh well, to each their own.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I spend most of the encounter checking out the bike but if they are doing anything obviously wrong i do notice and usually make a comment if i am with someone around.

No comments on our ride so does that mean I did well or you just didn't speak up? come on... I can take it! :D

I always watch others and silently critique them. I do this mostly to view what I see as a bad habit/choice and make a mental note to myself to not repeat what THAT guy did!

Like last night on the highway... steady rain and this guy on a GSXR is riding the bumper of the car in front of him at 60 mph and using the very center of the lane where the water is untouched. When it's raining, isn't it wise to stay in the track of the tires in front of you (thinner water sheet under your tire) for best traction?

Sometimes it's not worth looking. We have FAR too many squids here and I'd rather concentrate on the road ahead than look at the group of sad-sacks we'll be scraping up later! :popcorn:

4fun

Member #1360
Reaction score
Visit site
I always seem to look at how others are riding not to critisize what they are dong wrong but to learn what I should not be doing. Today for example a see too bikes coming the oppisite way on the highway, the first squid was riding correctly although no gear, the second squid was conserving his front tire by riding a wheelie down the highway.:squid: