FZ6 wheelie truth or really myth

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Right, I am not an expert, got my knee down once by accident. I have a reasonable level of machine control and ability. How do you wheelie one of these things with out:A. Falling of the back.
B. Buying a new chain & sprockets avery other week.
C. Turning black leathers brown.
I must admit I can get the front up after canning the FZ6 for a few yards and the front skips of the floor. I would really like to execute a nice floating front in the air kind of wheelie. Any advice, or if this is not do able on a standard geared motor what do I need to d:needpics::Sport:eek:. The apprentice awaits.......

S

sportrider

to carry a wheelie far you have to get to the balance point and carry it there.
I don't ride wheelies far but the two ways I have done them is
1. bring the Rs up to 9000 RPMs very quickly roll off the throttle than get back on it WOT the front end will come up extremely fast!!! when you get it where you want it back off the throttle a little the front will stop raising, before it starts to fall get back on the throttle and you will ride out the gear on a wheelie.
2. at a slow speed in first slip the clutch ( I use one finger) while revving up the engine, drop the clutch while keeping the Rs up, the front will jump up so be ready to cover the rear brake!!! if you get it up to the "balance" point you can ride a wheelie as far as you want by maintaining throttle control and rear brake pressure, I'll pop a wheelie like this,( I don't try to ride them out at the balance point) but I'm getting to old for that stunting game, I like my bike too much and I just don't heal as fast as when I was younger!!!

I prefer to use method #1 if I'm playing around. I don't let the front end come up very far,maybe 3 or 4 feet off the ground. its good enough to have a little fun but I don't feel like I'm on the verg of looping out.
:Sport:

pedwards89

Reaction score
Visit site
Buy a trials bike for 30 quid, find a field, practice.

Why? If you fail, your backside hits grass (Doesn't hurt as much as tarmac) & any bits you bend you can straighten with a hammer.

Plus the public highway isn't the place to be stunting, it's what gets motorcyclists a bad name. If you want to practice on tarmac with your treasured FZ6, be prepared to pay the cost.

Look at youtube & search motorcycle stunts. There's a lot of skillful & competent riders doing some epic stunts. There's even more idiots end up wrecking their bike because it ain't as easy as it looks.

If you're really serious about it, look in MCN, there are no end of training establishments running 'Wheelie Schools'. Usually, they are at race tracks or old airfields, but you get to learn in a safe (ish) environment taught by experienced stunters.

OK, I've finished ranting now. Enjoy your bike, but be safe.

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
easy to wheelie

I wouldnt rev up to 9000, i would rev up to about 4500 to 5000, that way when you roll off and on real quick. the front end isnt as violent when coming up. Plus when you get the hang of it you have more gear to ride on, if you start at 9000 you can only hold it a few seconds before red-lining.

Have fun and be careful.
P.S.
pedwards89 has the best advice yet. It is a lot less painful in the grass than on the pavement. I have been down at 60 miles an hour and slid 40 yards or so before i stopped. It hurts.

:thumbup:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Totally agree about not doing them on HRH public roads. Disused carpark is the venue. used to wheelie my scrambler no probs. Bigger bike comes up super fast. Age, reflexes ect not as good as they were. I also treaure my bike and don't want to bend it. I have recently looked after a young man who wheelied in to an on coming car. Not a pretty sight so I am also aware of the dangers. I am also considering doing a wheelie school. Thanks for the advice non the less.

Rob_the_tyrant

Reaction score
Visit site
take your front fairing off and power wheelie. Crank your throttle to get the front end started upward, then roll off and feather it back on to level it out.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
No worries, Wheelies really arn't my scene at the moment as I'm crap at them. I would like to learn safely though. Cheers.

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
A pointless add to this thread, but, what the hell.

Everyone should practice a few. I think it helps some people realize the power of their bike and others (like me :D) realize that they have just found a new way to get girls attention.

OK...maybe you shouldnt do it around cars, but, if some hot girl wearing a bikini and shaking her pillows wants me to wheelie.....i just might. Plus it makes for good ice-breaking conversation.

S

sportrider

OK so the other day I'm riding a 4th gear wheelie down the freeway splitting traffic, and just as I go to shift in to 5th my alarm clock goes off...

man I hate it when that happens!!!!:thumbup: :D

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This should be a hall of shame thread really (pity its two decades late). When I was younger in my teens I had borrowed a friends Yamaha TZR 125. It was the de-restricted 33 hp version. Very tasty for a 125, there were these girls standing outside the school so I thought I would pop a wheelie (god knows why as all I could do was one of those drop the clutch and lay flat on the bike jobs in first gear). Any way my mate was on the back (of his bike) I dropped the clutch, he fell off the back right in front of them, and I went through a hedge. It certainly got their attention. Lesson learnt showing off in front of people to impress is the best time for “Murphy’s” law to strike.

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
lol...with adequate practice, showing off wont hurt soo much. At least I have been lucky enough for nothing to have happened....:)