Grins per Second--> V-MAX FTW!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What can I say I'm an adrenalin junkie! Anyone needing a good kick in the pants coupled with lots of Torquies, hop on the 2014 V-MAX!! Simply put it was a blast to ride! Awkward at low speed (parking lot) as the steering is very heavy but get it moving and its really fairly docile. Yamaha Demo days came and I wanted at least one more run in on something entertaining. Well, that was it!

Bottom line; displacement wins if you want to hall @ss. The first couple times I cracked it open it was an "Oh-My" hang on experience. The beauty of it is it actually handles remarkably well in the corners. Yes, a SS is going carve circles around you but for effortless cruising and powering through anything brought to the table, this thing is outright FUN! And its great if you want to switch things up a bit!

At first I didn't think there would ever be a need to pin until the shift light lit but you just have to know what it has to offer - you know?! I'm pretty sure thats about the time my face nearly broke from grinning to so much! It was like being strapped to a rocket as first and second gear it really gets with the program! It started to lift a tad and I was soon to overrun the chief so I had to back off but OMG what power!!

- Controls: all easy to manage, very smooth, very nice, easy to reach and very much like the FZ6!
- Instruments: just 3 easily visible. Speedo, Tach, & Shift Light! :thumbup:
Comfort: It's wide and your knees are pointed out a tad, not sure I could get used to that. No fly screen so long speeds over 75 would be tiring.
- Brakes: seem adequate but I never hauled it down hard.
- Suspension: Pretty remarkable it handles all that power so seamlessly. IMO this is an engineering marvel as you really just don't notice that the suspension is an active part of keeping you safe and taming the wild beast!! I'm too inexperienced with this kind of power to really comment but you don't feel any obvious short comings or bad behavior. hell, it could have squated and shot sideways lighting up the rear tear but it just hunkers down and GOES! Yes, it will light up the rear (obvioulsy I didn't) but the suspension is amazing considering all its having to cope with. I'm going to say they really did their homework there as damping is near perfect and it would take some riding to pick it apart. Minimal squat under full power, no dive during braking, little imperfections in the road go unnoticed, big dips and bumps are plushly absorbed without changing the bikes line in a corner. This was a 17 mile ride with freeway action, steeper hills, low speed tight switch backs, almost sweepers etc....

Turn in is good despite it being big and heavy and behaves well once you get used to the throttle. Its very smooth and predictable and pulls like a freight train.Although you best not chop the throttle at adverse angles or you'll be in trouble. Seriously, you really have to be smooth with the wrist you'll be fine. Well, as long as you don't crack it open while leaned over. :eek: The power is so smooth and predictable, very linear in nature but it just keeps pulling until it runs out of gear. Its not grabby and on / off although it can be if you treat it that way. Its like a very responsive big block V8 in a light chassis if you've ever driven something like that. Its incredibly responsive both accelerating and decelerating it just takes getting used to after being on our little 600. Thankfully it has a slipper clutch so if you blow it may offer some assistance.

I would ride it again for the entertainment purpose alone. You have to smooth on the wrist in the corners and careful at low speeds and its just another bike! Ya - sure it is... lol If you have a chance to hop on one - Do it! It really handles remarkably well in the corners. To use the term flickable, it is but is heavy and sluggish for quick switch but remember I just got off an FZ-09 which is pretty light and easy to toss.

Take a look at this; much more comprehensive than anything I can say with my limited exposure and experience.
Comparison: 2014 Ducati Diavel Strada vs. 2014 Star Vmax | Rider Magazine

Some specs....
2014 Yamaha VMAX VMX17 Review

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I went to snap a photo an guy hopped on to leave.... So this is all i have a to offer - cell pic... 2014 V-Max
attachment.php

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Great stuff!! :thumbup:

If you have a chance to attend Kawi or Suzuki demo rides.. try the Busa or ZX14. I have a feeling you'll enjoy those too. They *might* make the V-Max seem a bit slow :rof:

Only issue is.. there's rarely enough "room" on a demo ride to get the feel for those things!

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
That's awesome. I really am trying to refrain from attending a "Demo-ride" event because I just know that I'll never be content with my FZ6 if I do. :rolleyes:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That's awesome. I really am trying to refrain from attending a "Demo-ride" event because I just know that I'll never be content with my FZ6 if I do. :rolleyes:

Ya, no intent on buying/selling anything till life settles down a bit. Need a new job after 14 years so here's to landing on my feet!

As for above - it was entertaining and it met my Last minute decision of something that has power and won't drag parts in the corners! lol