Air filter K&N vs. OEM

SteveCanter

Reaction score
Visit site
I just installed Leo Vince SBK cans on my 07 FZ6 and am wondering wether to go to a K&N air filter or just stick with OEM. If theres any mods that may work well with the new exhaust it would be appreciated.

JKJ-FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I just replaced the original air filter in my '05 FZ6 with a K&N filter. I went with the K&N simply because I couldn't find a standard aftermarket filter that would fit. I figured that if filters are hard to find now, it will only be harder next time. The K&N was only a little more $$ than an OEM filter, and I can re-use it probably for as long as I have the bike.

As for performance, there doesn't seem to be any difference for me. But I'm not trying to squeeze out the last bit of MPH. It will take some more time to see if it improves the MPG. Anyway, the K&N fit perfectly...no hassles.

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
No improvement in power or MPGs. Only advantage is that it's reusable. So if you plan to keep your bike for a long time, it's worth the investment.

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
The whole K&N vs OEM thing is a massive can of worms and was discussed many times on the forum and pretty much on every other motor forum.
Just google "K&N vs oem filter FZ6" and you will find more threads than you will be able to read.

You will also find this page:

K&N Air Filter Review - Debunking the Myths (and why OEM is better)

I personally don't use them, don't see the need for them, and would not use them if given the one.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The whole K&N vs OEM thing is a massive can of worms and was discussed many times on the forum and pretty much on every other motor forum.
Just google "K&N vs oem filter FZ6" and you will find more threads than you will be able to read.

I personally don't use them, don't see the need for them, and would not use them if given the one.

That link is EXTREMLY INFORMATIVE!!! Agreed 100% ^^^^^

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I just installed Leo Vince SBK cans on my 07 FZ6 and am wondering wether to go to a K&N air filter or just stick with OEM. If theres any mods that may work well with the new exhaust it would be appreciated.

Unless you're tweaking the bike, I see no reason for using the K&N unless you can't find an OEM replacement air filter.
That happened to me with my SV1000s. Couldn't find a shop locally that stocked one and a K&N ordered on line was surprisingly not much more than the OEM so I pulled the trigger on one.

I can't say that my bike runs better with it because to tell the truth I haven't tried to push it off the line. I don't try to wheelie but I do push it out of lots of turns.
I have read on the SV1000 portal where a member was cleaning his K&N and put the OEM back in. While riding his bike he thought something was wrong with it. It lost power. He didn't think there could be that much difference. He finished cleaning and re-oiling his K&N, installed it and his bike was back to what he was used to. Maybe the volume of air that a 500cc cylinder (1000cc V-twin) verses a 150cc cylinder (600cc I-4) for the same stroke makes the difference? The 500cc is using 3 times the volume of air that the 150cc is using. Then there is frequency. How many time per minute of requiring that volume of air on a larger twin verses....
I'm not trying to say any filter is better but I am thinking about why claims seem to be so controversial in oil, spark plug, oil filter and air filter threads. No doubt the filters that have the highest particulate stopping power seem to be the most restrictive to immediate and long term volume of air.

Maybe saying one device/product is more or less beneficial could be related to it's application with different designs and/or performance parameters.:)

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Carlos, Good Read! Tks! That confirms what most folks knew for some time. I mean, there is a place for oiled filters but it won't be in my car or bike. But my 650 Kawi Stand up ski has one as it survives getting wet! It has 5x the surface area of the stock filter and is a custom fit to the 44 Mikuni! :0)

Notice the AC Delco pulled the greater vacuum (bad) with its restrictive filter "Initial Restriction: IN H2O", but passed the least amount of debris "Accumulative Gain:" and lasted the longest. What a trade off!

If a filter inhibits flow enough to create a pressure drop, the engine will feel these during "instantaneous throttle crack" (pressure drop after the throttle plates). Meaning a restrictive filter typically impairs quick RPM transitions. That doesn't mean it hurts steady state power but it can!

It would be great to see this K&N run with a "sock" on it which is the norm but obviously not possible in our application.

darth47

Reaction score
Visit site

This is really an eye opener... AC Delco seems to be the way forward... I use AC Delco brake pads for my car and they're pretty good and durable... maybe I start using their air filters...