am i running rich

noel aka medic

Reaction score
Visit site
whats up guys I have a 08 fz6 i has scorpion pipes and k&n air filter it has 5600 miles on it the last owner gave me a box with some extras so I notice a box of spark plugs took a look at them and there the old ones they looked burnt and the pipes are starting to change color a lil not bad but for only having 5600 miles do I have to get a power commander and am i doing any damage to the motor if I leave it like that

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
whats up guys I have a 08 fz6 i has scorpion pipes and k&n air filter it has 5600 miles on it the last owner gave me a box with some extras so I notice a box of spark plugs took a look at them and there the old ones they looked burnt and the pipes are starting to change color a lil not bad but for only having 5600 miles do I have to get a power commander and am i doing any damage to the motor if I leave it like that

The 08 has an O2 sensor - so it should be able to fix the mixture on its own. It does seem a bit weird that they were all charred up, but possibly the PO had a Power Commander on there and sold that separately - if he had used that with those old plugs, there's a chance that he had the mixture too rich and it's solved again now that the PC is gone.

Does it smell super gassy? Does it feel like it's bogging down on WOT more than it should? if you're not noticing the symptoms of a bike running too rich, you're probably fine.

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
I anything you are running lean, not rich! Stock bikes are lean from factory, and a K&N filter and pipes will add airflow and lean the engine even more. And yes, running an engine extremely lean can damage it.

The pipes will always change colour, there is nothing you can do about it.

Regarding the power commander, it's hard to say, some people say you don't need it if you have pipes with a stock air filter, some say you need it, some say that as soon as you go full pipes + air filter you have to get one.

Lastly, although post 07 bikes have an O2 sensor, there are limits to how much the ECU can tune itself, and there is no guarantee that the ECU has enough range to correct itself.

If i were you i would post a picture of the current plugs, see how they look, and take it from there.

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey I've been to Rome! :) If it still has the original non modified exhaust system it will have it's catalytic converters intact and hence some back pressure. The later S-2 version 2007 and up bikes also has the O2 sensor added so the ECU could make better changes. You should be okay with just a K&N and aftermarket cans but the only real way to tell is to have someone put a sniffer in the exhaust and have a look. Dark plugs are usually an indicator of richer mixture. :)

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Often these oiled filters are "over oiled" and hurting the performance by restricting the air flow (plus simply left dirty too long). Rare is it that owners under oil so its dry AND improving flow. Granted, Look at it this way - its the same size, same thickness and you oil it. Its very likely its gaining flow. <<perspective>> The filter "NAME" meant something when the OEM designers FAILED and filter was the gating restriction. They created top caps, increase the AREA OF THE FILTER and it literally had more surface area to allow increased air flow. Yamaha did a fair job here and there are little gains in our application. It just can't get any bigger!

As for comparing plugs from the bottom of box, I'd get a fresh reading with known plug and conditions.
Black/brown porcelain indicate = RICH = cooler exhaust temps.
Tan/White porcelain indicate = leaner = hotter exhaust temps.
If the electrode or ground strap are burned/melted, thats lean and or detonation induced.

You really need a fresh read to know what is happening inside.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I anything you are running lean, not rich! Stock bikes are lean from factory, and a K&N filter and pipes will add airflow and lean the engine even more. And yes, running an engine extremely lean can damage it.

The pipes will always change colour, there is nothing you can do about it.

Regarding the power commander, it's hard to say, some people say you don't need it if you have pipes with a stock air filter, some say you need it, some say that as soon as you go full pipes + air filter you have to get one.

Lastly, although post 07 bikes have an O2 sensor, there are limits to how much the ECU can tune itself, and there is no guarantee that the ECU has enough range to correct itself.

If i were you i would post a picture of the current plugs, see how they look, and take it from there.

I have open Scorps but with the stock air filter, no issues.

As posted above, I have also read that just adding the K&N filter(with aftermarket pipes), is just a little too much for the ECU to adjust the A/F mixture. With the stock filter, no issues.. I had put iridiums after the Scorps and the stock plugs I pulled, looked fine (new actually with approx 12,000 miles)..

Again, as noted above, inspect the plugs currently in the bike. If they are whitish at all, its too lean, do not ride it as you can cause damage. Any pinging, same thing...

Putting the stock air filter back in should get you back in correct A/f ratio's the ECU can adjust to and keep some good MPG's.

Adding the PC will also fatten (richen) up the mixture BUT at the expense of mileage.

Last edited:

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
There is also a thread here somewhere where you can go into diagnostic mode on the instrument cluster and adjust fuel mix...hang on while I search.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There is also a thread here somewhere where you can go into diagnostic mode on the instrument cluster and adjust fuel mix...hang on while I search.

I believe , the CO adjustment thru the dash is available on the European bikes only, NOT the US models (at least not without mods).

Should you adjust the CO #'s, write down the stock #'s in your owners manual as the #'s are rarely the same across the board, especially of you need to go back to stock.

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
I believe , the CO adjustment thru the dash is available on the European bikes only, NOT the US models (at least not without mods).

Should you adjust the CO #'s, write down the stock #'s in your owners manual as the #'s are rarely the same across the board, especially of you need to go back to stock.
You are right. US models have to ground a wire in a harness. Europeans models should be able skip over the first part and go to step 6.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-tos/30125-enable-co-adjustment-usa-only-lean-richen.html

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The first Gen FJRs (03-05) were EXTREMLY lean 3k RPM's and under (surging actually).

It didn't take long for the guys on the FJR forum to figure out how to by pass the US version lockout. They messed with a wire (at the ECU connector), and either made a permanent wire mod to change the CO #'s, or just remove the junmper wire once the CO #'s were re-set. As I re-call it was simply setting a new ground. The procedure, going thru the dash was somewaht involved..

I strongly suspect the same can (and has) been done over here in the states already for the FZ.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You are right. US models have to ground a wire in a harness. Europeans models should be able skip over the first part and go to step 6.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-tos/30125-enable-co-adjustment-usa-only-lean-richen.html

Get used to failed links.... That one is busted..... its by "Zanch" in 2010.
Looks like the: How Too section - enable-co-adjustment-usa-only-lean-richen

Perhaps..... http://www.600riders.com/forum/forum15/30125-enable-co-adjustment-usa-lean-richen.html

Thanks [MENTION=19889]dpaul007[/MENTION]

Maybe its my browser cause now it works... Strange....
http://www.600riders.com/forum/forum15 << How To Section...

Last edited:

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
You really need to take the plugs out and look at them to determine rich or lean. Four old plugs in a box as inferred earlier mean nothing. You don't know if the pipes and filter were on the bike when those plugs were removed. Instead of guessing check the plugs or if the bike is not giving you trouble, do what I would do and just ride and enjoy.

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
So, really. All you need to do is make a ground in order to enable the CO adjustment? Seems too simple if you ask me!!
Does this work on the newer style displays like on my 09?

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
I have been doing a lot of reading on this subject, and yes it does work on the 09.

I kinda want to do it on mine, but u am wondering if i should just do it on my own, or pay and have it done on a Dyno.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Its not like its going to make it blubbering rich as it's not within its means to richin the AFR that much.
Unlike a PCIII/Bazaz FC, it has limitations. Its there to compensate per bike to obtain 14.7:1 to keep the CAT happy.

We need a wideband o2 sensor in there to see just what its capable of, but its not the hidden "hotrod" function! Connect this wire to enable Drag Racing 10 second 1320's! Blah

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
Just my $.02 about adjusting the CO settings. When I bought my bike, it already had a K&N filter and open LeoVince exhaust. At idle, it had a noticeable lope and would pop like crazy on deceleration. Doing a bunch of reading, I decided to give the CO adjustment a whirl. After increasing the values, mine were originally at 0, the lope was gone and the decel popping was noticeably reduced. It's been over a year since I've done this and the bike still runs happy.

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine runs well, but since i put the Leo Vince exhaust it pops like crazy to. I don't really mind the popping, but if the O2 trick can give me a couple HP extra i'm up for it!

Do you guys think it's safe to do without spending money on a dyno? Over here a dyno is very expensive and if i can do without it i would rather keep my money.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think, the adjustment mostly works on the bottom end RPM range.

Its not like a replacement Power Commander for the entire rev range. The de-cel popping, etc, should be helped, fattening it up a little with the CO adjustment..