scorpion exhaust pressure

sonny

Reaction score
Visit site
i have a 2008 Fz6R.
the exhaust pressure from my left muffler is alot higher than my right muffler. is that normal for the scorpion exhaust ?

thanks in advance.
Sonny

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I can't answer specific to your model as different manufactures obtain different results. The slip-on themselves are nearly restriction free. This leaves the Y pipe and any diverter installed to balance the flow.

On most after market cans, the right side typically flows more volume as its virtually a straight shot from the mid-pipe out the right side.
In addition; the bikes under tail OEM design leaves little space to divide the Y pipe equally for flow to both sides. So manufactures can employ discs and minor restrictions to balance the flow.

Lets see what others have to say. I'm running Two brothers and the right side flows just slightly more at low RPMs. Not sure about higher RPMs and under load.

sonny

Reaction score
Visit site
So manufactures can employ discs and minor restrictions to balance the flow.

just by looking, i see a restriction disk in the right Y pipe. i wonder if its part of the Y pipe or if the previous owner put it in. can anyone using after market exhausts let me know if you have that restriction visible at the Y pipe ?

thanks

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
In my open Scorpions (checked it today), the pressure seems about even however the exhaust is definitly hotter on the left side. I suppose the elbow heats up a bit and transfers it..

Now, looking down both pipes, there are NO restrictor plates, period.

It does appear that in the "Y pipe, right before the muffler would bolt up, you can see the hole machined on the "Y" pipe. IE, just prior to welding the Y together, they didn't open that RS hole fully (I suppose to even out the flow some).

The opening in the RS of the "Y" pipe is probably 2/3 to 3/4 the size of the left (which flows straight thru the bend in the "Y" pipe), no restrictions...

Perhaps for Canada, they did something different, ...

Last edited:

bigdog9191999

High-tech Redneck
Reaction score
Visit site
Seems like mine on our fz6 was the same way. And as there is minimal restriction to the other side I didn't bother to do anything. But the mentioning to even the flow makes good sense!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

sonny

Reaction score
Visit site
The opening in the RS of the "Y" pipe is probably 2/3 to 3/4 the size of the left (which flows straight thru the bend in the "Y" pipe), no restrictions...

Perhaps for Canada, they did something different, ...

it appears to be less than 2/3. maybe i'm making a fuss over this.. .i'll check when i take the muffler off. but i think i'll make the hole abit larger to 2/3 to 3/4. but i'll wait till the snow melts .. :(

thanks everyone !
Sonny

oh... i got the bike from someone in NY.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
it appears to be less than 2/3. maybe i'm making a fuss over this.. .i'll check when i take the muffler off. but i think i'll make the hole abit larger to 2/3 to 3/4. but i'll wait till the snow melts .. :(

thanks everyone !
Sonny

That's about how mine is.

IMO, unless someone modified it, I'd leave it. I'm sure the engineers could have made it larger if need be... :thumbup:

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

thanks everyone !
Sonny

Exactly how my Scorps are. I have uneven flow, heat, etc as well.

Ride on, my friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
In terms of area and flow, the 90° upshot from under the bike has to be the worst. I'm guessing its smaller inside and hurts the flow more with that sharp bend than anything downstream of it. IIRC the cat pipe was 1.65" ID.

On my 2 bro, the Y pipe did not drop in is size anywhere so effectively, one can on the right side and I'd be set! Just looking kinda funny! Blah

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
In terms of area and flow, the 90° upshot from under the bike has to be the worst. I'm guessing its smaller inside and hurts the flow more with that sharp bend than anything downstream of it. IIRC the cat pipe was 1.65" ID.

On my 2 bro, the Y pipe did not drop in is size anywhere so effectively, one can on the right side and I'd be set! Just looking kinda funny! Blah

Actually, there's two parts that make up the "Y" pipe on the Scorp.

The main part is formed and welded (no accordian kinks in the pipe), same large ID/OD, then to the left side is a 90 degree pre-bent pipe (again same ID/OD), as wide a sweep as you can to get the mufflers positioned as designed) which is welded to that other "Y" piece (appears to MIG welded).

Yes its 90 degrees, but the pipe is large and smooth. I suspect thats why they decided on a slightly smaller hole drilled bleeding to the "straight thru" right muffler..