California Superbike School - an ad.. sort of

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Watch Keith talk about training and passion of riding.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-wJxHUDcPg]Keith Code talks about training and the passion of riding - YouTube[/ame]

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice, Eric, thanks!

The thing I like about Keith and CSS is that he makes you think. Starting with the track itself, you, what you do, how it effects the bike, etc. I may not 100% agree with everything he teaches, but he gives me the tools to make it work for me. He's written a lot of things that no one had ever written about before when it comes to high performance motorcycle riding.

I did his school in 1984 on a GPZ 550 and have raced for nearly 30 years. I interviewed and was offered a coaching position with Coby and his staff in the mid-90's but couldn't make the commitment. What I didn't like about the CSS is that (unless it's changed), they require you to go through the various levels in their order and for someone like me who's been doing this almost as long as CSS has been in business, I'm not going to go back and do that.

CSS is a good school. There are also several others that are very good as well. But, he has a unique method that works well and is very much suited for adult learning. Read his books, all of them, then read them again and again. I've got them all and they are very well used and have tons of notes in the borders. I still take them with me when I go to the track. Like I said above, what I really like about Keith and his program is that it makes you think. This goes along with a statement he makes in the movie "Why We Ride". He calls the school a 'research project' and it's exactly that. I don't see any of the other schools being in existence for as long as CSS and evolving the way Keith has done.

:thumbup:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice, Eric, thanks!

The thing I like about Keith and CSS is that he makes you think. Starting with the track itself, you, what you do, how it effects the bike, etc. I may not 100% agree with everything he teaches, but he gives me the tools to make it work for me. He's written a lot of things that no one had ever written about before when it comes to high performance motorcycle riding.

I did his school in 1984 on a GPZ 550 and have raced for nearly 30 years. I interviewed and was offered a coaching position with Coby and his staff in the mid-90's but couldn't make the commitment. What I didn't like about the CSS is that (unless it's changed), they require you to go through the various levels in their order and for someone like me who's been doing this almost as long as CSS has been in business, I'm not going to go back and do that.

CSS is a good school. There are also several others that are very good as well. But, he has a unique method that works well and is very much suited for adult learning. Read his books, all of them, then read them again and again. I've got them all and they are very well used and have tons of notes in the borders. I still take them with me when I go to the track. Like I said above, what I really like about Keith and his program is that it makes you think. This goes along with a statement he makes in the movie "Why We Ride". He calls the school a 'research project' and it's exactly that. I don't see any of the other schools being in existence for as long as CSS and evolving the way Keith has done.

:thumbup:

Da-um!! I was 10 years old and you were already attending CSS Blah

That's awesome and I hope everyone reads your reply and at the very least takes away this: This is a life-long learning experience! Good riders, with more experience than some of us will ever have, still continue to read / watch / take courses to continue to hone their skills and learn new ones. :thumbup:

Verharen

~ Wild Child ~
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

You were only 10? I'm sorry. I'm not sure we can be friends anymore now that you've made me feel so incredibly old. :spank:

Just kidding. I hope we're still friends.

I was at AAA Speedway in Fontana, CA to hang out with new track day friends last month. As I walked out of the ladies room I almost ran right into Keith Code. By the time I'd realized who it was and recovered from my surprise, he was around the corner. But I think it would be fun to bump into him again and see if I could get a conversation started. :D

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
I was at AAA Speedway in Fontana, CA to hang out with new track day friends last month. As I walked out of the ladies room I almost ran right into Keith Code. By the time I'd realized who it was and recovered from my surprise, he was around the corner. But I think it would be fun to bump into him again and see if I could get a conversation started. :D

What a missed opportunity! Chase him down and get a selfie w/ him. :D

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You were only 10? I'm sorry. I'm not sure we can be friends anymore now that you've made me feel so incredibly old. :spank:

Just kidding. I hope we're still friends.

Track day friends??? Did I miss something?? :cheer:

Verharen

~ Wild Child ~
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Track day friends??? Did I miss something?? :cheer:

Short version: Wellllll, not really.

Long version: As you know, I've been wanting to do a track day or track school preferably. For me the hurdles fall into 3 categories: equipment, fees, and transportation. I'm really close on the first two, but transportation has kinda stumped me. I live in the boonies section of San Diego County. I have no truck, my car can't pull a trailer, and I'm doubtful I could load my bike by myself.

For that last category, I've been trying to meet new people I might tag along with and I just met friends of a friend that may be my solution. They are husband and wife with a toybox RV that has room for 4 bikes. Within ten minutes of meeting Dan, he'd invited me and my bike to join them the next weekend. With free pick up services! :thumbup: Unfortunately, I couldn't get a spot other than wait list so I asked for a rain check. And I thought it would be better to meet his wife before spending the night with them (ehem).

I still need a back protector, and better gloves and would need to set my bike up for track (tape & coolant alternative, etc). So I'm not quite ready to go at the drop of a hat. They go up the night before, so it would be a two day thing and I need to arrange for a dog sitter. Andddd I need to know I can afford it, but I'm feeling like I'll be ready very soon!

I'm trying to be patient and know that the pieces will all fall into place when the time is right. Dan's wife Doris is a hoot and in the slowest group. We actually talked about going to Streets of Willow for riding school. Cali Rider told me he thought it would be the best for me of all the local tracks/track schools. I have been to Chuckwalla and AAA tracks to watch friends, but they all live in LA. They are always complaining that I seem to be putting off going to track to ride, but none have offered to come to my house and pick me and my bike up.

I've even thought about flying to NJ to visit friends from here and my GSXR forum (one has a wife who's bike doesn't get ridden enough). If I could swing it, I thought I should try to get into an advanced MSF class with you! But that whole scenario is just me dreaming big and not very likely.

Didn't get a pic with Doris, but here's one from that day. True motorcycle people are just the coolest people ever.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Short version: Wellllll, not really.

Long version: As you know, I've been wanting to do a track day or track school preferably. For me the hurdles fall into 3 categories: equipment, fees, and transportation. I'm really close on the first two, but transportation has kinda stumped me. I live in the boonies section of San Diego County. I have no truck, my car can't pull a trailer, and I'm doubtful I could load my bike by myself.

For that last category, I've been trying to meet new people I might tag along with and I just met friends of a friend that may be my solution. They are husband and wife with a toybox RV that has room for 4 bikes. Within ten minutes of meeting Dan, he'd invited me and my bike to join them the next weekend. With free pick up services! :thumbup: Unfortunately, I couldn't get a spot other than wait list so I asked for a rain check. And I thought it would be better to meet his wife before spending the night with them (ehem).

I still need a back protector, and better gloves and would need to set my bike up for track (tape & coolant alternative, etc). So I'm not quite ready to go at the drop of a hat. They go up the night before, so it would be a two day thing and I need to arrange for a dog sitter. Andddd I need to know I can afford it, but I'm feeling like I'll be ready very soon!

I'm trying to be patient and know that the pieces will all fall into place when the time is right. Dan's wife Doris is a hoot and in the slowest group. We actually talked about going to Streets of Willow for riding school. Cali Rider told me he thought it would be the best for me of all the local tracks/track schools. I have been to Chuckwalla and AAA tracks to watch friends, but they all live in LA. They are always complaining that I seem to be putting off going to track to ride, but none have offered to come to my house and pick me and my bike up.

I've even thought about flying to NJ to visit friends from here and my GSXR forum (one has a wife who's bike doesn't get ridden enough). If I could swing it, I thought I should try to get into an advanced MSF class with you! But that whole scenario is just me dreaming big and not very likely.

Didn't get a pic with Doris, but here's one from that day. True motorcycle people are just the coolest people ever.

Fantastic stuff, Jen!! Hope you do get to go soon and hope you have a great, safe time and learn a bunch!!

If you do ever make it to NJ, dream or not, you're welcome to stay at my house. We've got a spare bedroom :thumbup:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Fantastic stuff, Jen!! Hope you do get to go soon and hope you have a great, safe time and learn a bunch!!

If you do ever make it to NJ, dream or not, you're welcome to stay at my house. We've got a spare bedroom :thumbup:

And the carpet is just to die for!Blah

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site

That's awesome and I hope everyone reads your reply and at the very least takes away this: This is a life-long learning experience! Good riders, with more experience than some of us will ever have, still continue to read / watch / take courses to continue to hone their skills and learn new ones. :thumbup:

Thank you, sir!

You're never too old to stop learning. And, with a hobby that can put you in a life and death situation, it would be absurd not to continue enhancing your skills.

Another school that is very awesome is Danny Walker's American Supercamp. Done in the dirt on TTR-125's you'll learn so much and have so much fun doing it, it should be illegal :).

Keep in mind you don't need all the gear, transportation, or even a bike to do a school. Many schools out there have everything and all you need to do is show up with an open mind. :thumbup: