300km before F-Trip came on.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well chuffed, terrible windy weather but managed to get 300km before F trip counter came on.

Nelly

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
That's pretty good for cold weather windy riding.

Ive got you beat though, hit 340 km before mine came on one time this past summer.

Worst I've seen was at about 230 km, cold and wet then an hour of hooligan like riding the next day

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've never had more than 300km. I would like to know how you achieve that. I have to ride at less than 6000 rpm on a totally brimmed tank to get 300 km.
Nelly

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
300 km is like what I expect when I'm riding reasonably chilled out, I usually hit it no problem riding a mix of in town and highway type riding, say an average speed of 90 km/h. shifting around 8000 rpm on average.

The time I hit 340 I'd been on strictly highway on a 20 degree Celsius dry day, with an average speed of around 110km/h, so that's cruising at 5500 rpm or so, the speed limits ranged from 70-100 km/h. I live at around 400m above sea level, not sure where you would be but that can definitely cause an impact.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
About 200 meters above sea level. I'm running at about 86 - 90 kph (exact Speedo healer calibrated). Only about 5km of town riding. Nice sweeping country roads. I do short shift so I might give it a go at running the motor out a bit more.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
think the most I have pushed it on a tank is 350km, fuel light usually comes on around 300-320km.

I do ride it like a slightly naughty nun though.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm always puzzled about the actual capacity of the tank the most I ever seem to get in is 17 or so litres. There is some dead space in the top of tank due to the shape. How many litres do you get in when your hitting the 350km range?
Nelly

bob808

Reaction score
Visit site
When I fill the tank as much as possible (when I put the cap it almost spills over) I get a maximum of 280-285km, not mattering how slow I ride.
I guess it's also a function of wind, weight, tires etc.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There may be a + or - 10 percent difference on when that light comes on so mileage would vary between different bikes? :)

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
I think if I remember right the most ive seen go in is 18.5L, When I fill up I tend to try and sit on the bike keeping it level, then the last bit I just keep giving it little squirts of gas and rocking back and forth to work it in. I can always get another 0.5-1L more in once it appears full.

Funny thing is I wasn't doing this that time I got 350 ish, I was filling up somewhere with like 1.40 $/L so I didn't care about squeezing as much in as I could

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have put 18 litres in before when riding in London. All city traffic so the range was actually really poor. I think my bike would realistically have a maximum range of 340 km before running out of fuel.

In the summer I can get as little as 150 km a tank.

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
Holy Crap

I've calculated that I could theoretically go 440 km or so on a tank, furthest I've pushed it is to 410 I think. I am slightly obsessive with getting max distance out of each tank... I know it costs the exact same to fill up more often, just something that bugs me lol

I guess you ride a 2005, and year round for that matter, I put between 15,000 and 20,000 a year on my 2009 riding only between mid April and late October. There must be some losses associated with having an older bike, but I'm pretty sure nothing related to fuel changed between the s1 and s2, maybe yours is tuned differently for an EU standard?

I just couldn't imagine seeing my f-trip come on at 150... Id be on my hands and knees looking for a leak somewhere

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe there are a few tuning differences, I'm ignorant as to the effects of the later S2 model having the O2 sensor. Like you I get a bit fed up with fuelling. The only reason I don't really push the tank range is because the fuel actively cools the fuel pump, which is ridiculous money to replace and very tricky to clean.
Do you think that you would be able to maintain 70 - 90 kph cruising speeds and still get 440 km to the tank?
With my commute being very short (25 km) sometimes the bike has only had 10 minutes of optimum running temperature.
My low Km tanks are associated with 200 kph + riding. So kind of to be expected.
Recently I have tried to optimize fuel efficiency with better riding. I do find though that as soon as I get in the 6000 rpm range the fuel does seem to go quite quickly. I would like to here about your riding style and see if there is anything I can adapt? My biggest fault is that I short shift and get into 6th gear asap.

Nelly

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
the most I have put in the tank is around 16-17l, most I have pushed the bike on the reserve is around 20-30 miles

just reliased that my mileage probably over-reads by about 10% due to having a smaller front sprocket.

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe there are a few tuning differences, I'm ignorant as to the effects of the later S2 model having the O2 sensor. Like you I get a bit fed up with fuelling. The only reason I don't really push the tank range is because the fuel actively cools the fuel pump, which is ridiculous money to replace and very tricky to clean.
Do you think that you would be able to maintain 70 - 90 kph cruising speeds and still get 440 km to the tank?
With my commute being very short (25 km) sometimes the bike has only had 10 minutes of optimum running temperature.
My low Km tanks are associated with 200 kph + riding. So kind of to be expected.
Recently I have tried to optimize fuel efficiency with better riding. I do find though that as soon as I get in the 6000 rpm range the fuel does seem to go quite quickly. I would like to here about your riding style and see if there is anything I can adapt? My biggest fault is that I short shift and get into 6th gear asap.

I think the optimum cruising speed is around 110 km/h, I've been on highways doing average 120-130 which is around 6000-7000 rpm and I find I get slightly worse mileage at those speeds.

I too get up to 6th pretty quickly when I'm just commuting, to pass I drop average 2 gears. I don't by any means ride super conservatively, I usually pass almost every car I come up on, Like you I get really bad mileage when I'm doing multiple 200 km/h runs, I usually hit it once or twice per tank.

I'd tell you to come on over and come for a ride with me to compare our styles and techniques but that cost might negate any fuel savings you'd get haha

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
There's about 4 places where I might have to stop, sometimes it involves filtering for a few minutes to pass traffic. It's usually quite clear.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A trip would be an excellent idea. It sounds like we have a similar riding approach. If the conditions are good and I'm feeling good I will always have a decent thrash for 8 k's or so. It only takes a couple of blasts to drop the tank range significantly doesn't it.
I had a chest infection last week and slept through my alarm. I would normally always turn up for work 30 minutes early and I can't stand being late. I left with only sixteen minutes to get to work and made it. It cost me in fuel lol.

Nelly