Fz9 upgrade path

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
It's been over a year since my 6 was stolen, if I hadnt been a victim I would own my 6 untill the tires fell off, but unfortunately we can't live in the past. Hope this is the right spot even though I own a 9. You guys where my first forum and even though I could join a 9 site, I would rather not :).

Been nit picking the bike a little, searching here and there and decided on a personal upgrade path to really make my 9 my own. I would appreciate my peers input.

First: as Marthy suggested- the shock bounces like a car with bad struts at times. (I went up one on the rear,) so the first upgrade will be the suspension.

2: fender eliminater- I love the look of the bike, but the giant bulbus blinkers (especially the front) but as on most bikes, that LP holder sticks out 3 feet further than it should

3: front blinkers, I will give this a little time to let the aftermarket scene catch up, but I wish I could integrate my blinkers into my headlight. It has like parking brake lights on both sides when the key is on.

4: exhaust- the bike sounds great when you get it up there. But the engine noise is way louder, when they rolled my bike out my wife even went WTF? Is that weird noise??? But they have a quite a bit to choose from, akrApovic has a full exhaust, but at a whopping 1200$ I would rather keep stock. Maybe a two bro M4? You cut your cat off as well. (It's pretty much your muffler)

5: bars, the hight it a little higher than I prefer, maybe these? What yall think?
18036 - Black Clubman Bar, for 1125CR, 1-1/8" center, 7/8" ends

6: airfilter- maybe a k&N to help with airflow. This bike has a AIR (almost ram air)

7:wide band O2 sensor- to help tuning

8:dynojet PCV: as a tuning solution to get some more oomph. Still unsure how they will tune with the 3 map modes.

I saved the power adders for last because this bike will take some getting used to and IMO I can't utilize the full potential yet anyway, so they are kinda a waste of money.

One other thing that will get bought before any of these is good gear as well as a diet. (I just quit smoking give me a break LOL)

Anything I missed? Your suggestions are very welcome!!

Last edited:

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Great bike, wonderful list.

I like your order for the changes: safety/handling, then comfortable position, then performance.

Have you checked to see if the speedometer is accurate? Just wondering. :drool:

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like you are on the right path; very similar train of thought as my own (although I am not sure if I will even touch the engine).

Keep us updated as we all love to see progress!! :thumbup:

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
Great bike, wonderful list.

I like your order for the changes: safety/handling, then comfortable position, then performance.

Have you checked to see if the speedometer is accurate? Just wondering. :drool:

Will definetly check that when I can.

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Ah Mate, didn't know your old ride got stolen... suck!

Like I mention before, get a 2008-10 ZX-10 shock (I just ordered a ZX-14 to test... ) then contact Nick at Stoltec and get some fork springs/10W fluid and send him your ECU with $100. He has a flash ready to go that fix most of the little throttle jerkness. That would solve about 75% of the FZ09 issues.

Hey... forum are like bikes, not jalous from each others. The FZ6R forum is still like my home away from home. But I pop here and there... all good!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
Ah Mate, didn't know your old ride got stolen... suck!

Like I mention before, get a 2008-10 ZX-10 shock (I just ordered a ZX-14 to test... ) then contact Nick at Stoltec and get some fork springs/10W fluid and send him your ECU with $100. He has a flash ready to go that fix most of the little throttle jerkness. That would solve about 75% of the FZ09 issues.

Hey... forum are like bikes, not jalous from each others. The FZ6R forum is still like my home away from home. But I pop here and there... all good!

I like to think I'm mechanically inclined, but very green around the ears when it comes to motos. The biggest thing I have done is F-R sprocket and chain on my old gsxr. Time to do some research.

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
All easy stuff. No fairing to remove, takes 1/2 the time to do everything. LOL

ECU is under the tank, on top of the airbox.

Shock you might need a bit of help but there's 2 bolts... search "Marthy's built" Lot if nice info with pictures...