Leo Vince sbk evo 2

SteveCanter

Reaction score
Visit site
I just recently got my set of sbk evo 2 exhaust and it didn't come with any installation instructions. It didn't come with the yellow sbk badges on them either just the Leo Vince logo. Any suggestions on where to go from here?

Thanks.

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
No worries, a couple things, make sure you don't mix up the M6*14 and the M6*20 screws when you put it together...
I wasn't paying attention and ended up trying to use a 16 where a 20 should have been, of course it was to short and would just not fit!
Took me 10 minutes to realise my mistake, had to go back, unscrew the 20, put the correct 16 instead and put the 20 where they should be...

Also, don't screw everything tight straight away, you won't be able to align it properly.

When i did mine, i mounted everything snug but not tight, springs and all, then mounted the rear light/grab handle back on, aligned everything so the cans were centered, removed the rear light/grab handles, and tighten everything down.

I takes a bit more time, but you should be able to get them pretty much perfectly centered.

DSC_3894_zps79590b01.jpg

DSC_3890_zps41ba8ad2.jpg

Last edited:

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Perfect thank you. Mine came with two discs with 4 holes in them. Would you happen to know what those are for?

I remember them being some sort of noise cancellation device...

If you find the exhaust to loud you can insert them in the pipes (not the cans), i think they go at the intersection of the cat delete pipe and the Y pipe.

I didn't get them in my kit so i can't comment on how useful they are. I remember a member putting them on his bike and he said that with both the baffles and the discs the pipes were as loud as stock. He then drilled more holes in the disc to end up somewhere in the middle noise wise.

Here is a thread where they are mentioned:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/8759-leo-vince-install-7.html

Personally i would not use them, the pipes sound great with only the baffles in.

I haven't tried with the baffles out, but i don't feel the need to be louder, and the idle tends to get lumpy without the baffles.

One more thing to mention is that the idle can go weird after the instal, if your bike is post 07 it is recommended to unhook your battery for a while (i unhooked mine wile doing the instal) so that your ECU resets hitself when you plug the battery back.

Here you can hear the weird lumpy idle here:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdnWQVvI5Dc]YAMAHA FZ6 LEO VINCE EXHAUST BAFFLES IN OR OUT? - YouTube[/ame]

If your idle is still weird after ECU reset, it might be worth doing a throttle body sync, it really makes the idle a lot smoother. My idle is a lot smoother than in the video after i did the sync.

Good luck, let me know if you have more questions.

SteveCanter

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm glad you know this much about them. You've given me more info than Leo Vince does out of the box lol. What is involved in a throttle body sync? And did your kit come with two bar shaped brackets?

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
No worries, i tend to do a lot of research before doing something and i picked up all this info on the forum...

I can't think of any bar shaped bracket, apart from the weird bent ones holding the plate holder.

I annotated this picture showing you what i mean, bracket is the left arrow, the right one shows the screw thing i mentioned earlier, be sure to keep the M6*20 for this hole because the M6*14 looks like it could work and barely doesn't.

DSC_3890_zpsf26456bb.jpg

Regarding the throttle body sync, there are a lot of threads on it, search will give you all you need to know.
Basically you need a manometer, either home made or bought ( i bought the Morgan Carbtune, great tool, and it pays for itself in a single use as most mechanics charge a lot to do it), you lift the tank, connect your manometer to 4 vacuum hoses and adjust until everything is in sync. Then adjust the idle.
It takes about 15 minutes to do and is very straight forward.

A member made this video on it:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmLwyAPMBLI]How to synchronize your throttle bodies. - YouTube[/ame]

PS: You might have to adjust the idle anyway after installing the exhaust, adjustment screw is on the clutch side of the bike, between the frame and the tank, it should be between 1250 and 1350rpm.

Last edited:

SteveCanter

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah those look like the brackets. I bought a competition worked fender eliminator that I hoe will work with those plate brackets holders. Is the idle an issue before doing the TB sync. I watch the video that you attached and I didn't mind the sound.

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Brackets are direct replacement for the stock parts, they worked with my Evotech performance fender eliminator, i don't see why they shouldn't work on another brand.

Not sure about the idle thing, i thing it has something to do with change in backpressure.
When i changed my exhaust the idle was lower than with the stock exhaust, probably a 200 rpm drop.
I raised it back to the regular rpm and then did the sync and it really got rid of most of the weird lumpiness.

Technically the throttle body sync isn't about liking the sound or not, it's about making sure all your cylinders work right together. It affects your idle sound, but also your throttle response, mileage, engine vibration,general engine responsiveness...

I don't think the change in exhaust can screw the sync, but it will make a bad sync more apparent noise wise.

You don't HAVE to do it, but if your bike has more than 20k miles it is worth doing. Mine had 6000 miles and was barely out, but out enough to feel better after a precise sync.
My friends FZ6 had 10k miles and was completely out, it ran a lot better after i did the sync.

IMO if you can afford the tool or are able to build one, it is worth doing.
If you can't don't worry about it, your bike will not explode if you don't do it, but be aware that it is meant to be done at each service according to the shop manual, but i doubt most shops actually do it.

Last edited: