Experience w/ Variable SPEED Corridor or Interstate. Anyone Have this?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A bunch of new electronic signs are going up the local interstate and I have yet to see our area release any information about it.

Does anyone in the states have highways with electronic signs which change for "whatever condition?"

I'm sure there must be studies on how it makes the roads safer, but it seems we now need engineers to "monitor and set" new speeds, as well document its effectiveness, and well I have to wonder how much of this about safety and how much is about making jobs?

Any thoughts? How do tickets stick? How do you prove what was posted (speed) if cited when you come back and its changed?? It just seems a tad sketchy. :don'tknow::don'tknow:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
We have overhead signs that show the different alerts(AMBER etc.) and travel time to the next pkway/expway.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
We have some speed signs around school in the Chandler/Gilbert/Mesa that change during the day. Not sure on the statistics.

I have been advocating for years that they do something like this on the highway. Imagine during rush hour if the speed limit was dropped to 45, so that it would make merging easier and less likely to have a collision severe enough to block the road. Then at night set the speed limit at 85 (and get rid of criminal speeding altogether). There would be some nights I'd stay up to blast down the highway.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
We have variable speed signs on the SE Freeway, out of Adelaide, and I reckon they are excellent, if perhaps a little slow to update after a hazard has passed....

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
We have overhead signs that show the different alerts(AMBER etc.) and travel time to the next pkway/expway.

Yes, we also have "bill board" sized signs ate varying locations and when those are lit up, they cause their own traffic snarl. Its pathetic to say the least. Example is interstate traffic in region X at time Y is say 60mph. However if that sign is lit, it drops 15 to 45 regardless of what it says if anything...

We have some speed signs around school in the Chandler/Gilbert/Mesa that change during the day. Not sure on the statistics.

I have been advocating for years that they do something like this on the highway. Imagine during rush hour if the speed limit was dropped to 45, so that it would make merging easier and less likely to have a collision severe enough to block the road. Then at night set the speed limit at 85 (and get rid of criminal speeding altogether). There would be some nights I'd stay up to blast down the highway.

This seems closer to what may happen here. No way its gonna exceed 60mph tho. We have many bridges here some of these lead up to that.

We have variable speed signs on the SE Freeway, out of Adelaide, and I reckon they are excellent, if perhaps a little slow to update after a hazard has passed....

True - crashes are often cleared hours before the sign is turned off so, 4 hours of suffering is the norm for a 40min of clean up...

Also - YES, school Zones have variable electronic speed signs here too. They only change between normal and reduced OR 20mph. No guessing as to what it could be as there are NO additional marking or a "range" to speak of.

Should be interesting, I think I should be traffic engineer!

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
seems that any major road into the city has dropped from a standard 60kmh to 40 kmh from 8am til at least 10 pm every day of the week.
the "ring" road has variable limits that drop to 80 (common) and up to 100 (really rare) and seem to take a while to change even when the road is clear as a bell.
we too have variable speed limits near schools and all suburban streets are now 50kmh 24/7