Track bike - registration, insurance, 600 or bigger?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm thinking about getting a dedicated track bike for next season.

My reasons for wanting to get one:

- I don't want to make any mods to my FZ1 which will make it a better track bike, by sacrificing street comfort. It's my main mode of daily transportation and I occasionally do ~300 mile day trips on it.

- FZ1 Handlebar is much too high for track use (this may just be my opinion, but I feel like it's one of the things that makes it harder for me to ride it on the track).

- FZ1 is a bit of a piggy. Would be nice to have something ~100 pounds lighter for track use.

- I prefer to run sport touring tires on my bike, which typically last 2 seasons. It would be nice to use tires meant for the track (I know I can get around this by getting another wheel set and swapping it in for track days)

Registration and insurance

I've talked to my company (Progressive) about track day coverage. I was told that as long as I wasn't racing, the coverage would be in effect. I've read some conflicting stories on this subject. Does anyone have real-life experience with this?

Is there any point to registering a track bike? If I don't, how does the title thing work for a used bike? Typically, the seller writes his info in, as does the buyer. The title is turned over to MVC and the buyer gets new title, listing him as new owner. What happens if I never turn the title in and I want to sell the bike?

Which bike?

Based on a bit of research, the 2 bikes at the top of my list are 06+ R6 or 06+ GSXR 600. I have no personal experience with either. Any reason to NOT get one of those? Any reason to go bigger than 600 for track only?

I know it was far easier to throw my FZ6 around, compared to FZ1.. I wouldn't want to sacrifice flick-ability for more power (though I did do a track day on S1000 and that thing was effortless when it came to turn-in and it felt very light.. after FZ1).

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Karate.Snoopy

Reaction score
Visit site
I would get a SV650 ~ 1500$ as a track toy and may be move up in a couple of years. There are plenty available this time of the year. I would check the Track day forums for NJ Thunderbolt or whatever track is closest to you.
Parts for the SV are readily available and you could also consider getting the fiberglass body kit at a fairly low price. Some folks throw on the GSXR body kit as well.
Fairly reliable and light bikes with decent HP (Gen 2 is about 75 HP I think) but a hell lot of fun for trackday hobbyist.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
not sure what it's like over there, but you can normally pick up a sorted track bike for much less than the road legal equivalent.

I picked up a GSXR600 K3 with upgraded suspension, track fairing, spare wheels (with new tyres), steering damper, racing cams, etc. for £1500 (~$2000)

It's not road legal and can't be registered as such (blank frame). It still has engine numbers, so I know it's not stolen.

Over here it's pretty much unheard of for insurance companies to cover you for trackdays. You can get 3rd party cover, which is pretty much in the case that you injure somebody else and they sue you. Most people don't bother with insurance.

With a track fairing, and crash bungs you can mitigate most damage from a low side, some bikes crash better than others. My friend races his Superduke and has crashed it many times, including sending it rolling sideways, and it's mostly survived.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
ERCI - you are reading my mind. I've been thinking about getting a track bike for the last couple of months (with your influence of course of repeatedly saying getting a track bike would be better than fixing up the Fz1 more).

I am planning on getting a 2006+ R6. I almost had a line on 2007 GSXR 1000 last week but they wanted a little too much. From what I've heard in purchasing a track bike it is best to find a bike that somebody wants to get rid of quickly (the GSXR 1000's friend ran from the cops on the bike, so the guy that actually owned the bike wanted to get out from under the note) or the find a bike that went down and got a salvage title because of plastics damage but is mechanically sound. The guy I was talking to said never spend more than $2,000-3,000 because you will end up thrashing it at the track anyway and it's better to use the funds on racing plastics and setting up the bike for the track. Getting a solid bike on Salvage title that you can thrash and not worry about, and not worry about insuring or even registering sounded like a reasonable approach to me. Basically just keep the bike off the streets and truck it to/from the track was the idea I had.

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Daytona 675! You want a flickable bike... it feels like a 250 and that triple is sick, powerful and has torque. Only thing, parts may be a little more than on a Japanese bike.

If you're trailering it to the track I think you'll be okay not registering it. I think even if you don't register it you should complete the title transfer - you'll need a notary and a few bucks for taxes depending on what you say the bike is "worth". Not sure what registration would do to insurance, etc...

OneCheekRider

One Cheek On The Seat!
Reaction score
Visit site
If you're looking at getting a truly dedicated track bike (ie: no street use) then dont bother with insurance. You'll be paying money for something you don't ride everyday and will be a challenge to deal with in the event it goes down. A properly setup track bike will have aftermarket clip-ons, rearsets, track fairings, etc. These are designed to take a beating, be easily replaced (individual parts if needed), and not cost that much. Track crashes aren't that bad (unless you REALLY screw up).

If you buy a track bike with a title, then just get the title transferred (it's $25 for me). This will prove the bike is yours and will make make for a higher resale (people generally like bikes with titles). The other (cheaper) option is buying a fully setup trackbike with a bill of sale. I've done this before and it's actually quite common. Just make sure to run the VIN and maintain the bill of sale.

As for bikes, from my experience, it is much cheaper to buy a fully setup track bike with aftermarket goodies versus building it up as you go. I understand you're "new" at this and I warned you earlier about the addiction, but if you continue the track-path you WILL start to upgrade things. You can find many track-ready bikes on WERA Classifieds and NESBA forums, as well as many others.

What bike should you get? My suggestion would be to start small...like SV650. They can be found cheap, are cheap to run, parts are abundant, and if you got sick of it you could probably sell it for what you paid for it. Smaller bikes will teach you to carry corner speed and how to use all the power you have. Plus they're loads of fun!

SV650 not your thing? Looking at an R6? The 03-05 R6's (also 06-09R6s) will be more "friendly". They have a much more usable power band and more neutral seating position. GSXR's also sit you more neutral and have a smooth power curve - same can be said about CBR's. 06+ R6's sit you very aggressively. Some like this, some don't. Their power doesn't hit til the top of the rev range but when it does, it hits hard (some like this, some don't). In my experience it took me a while to go fast on the R6 while I could jump on a GSXR and feel very comfortable and lay down some impressive lap times. However, once you master the R6 it is one of the best handling bikes out there. 06-07 R6's can be found for less because in 08 they made some changes to the motor and chassis. Not huge changes, but an experienced rider will prefer 08+ R6.

cliff notes - get a already setup track bike that best fits your price range. Try it out - you can always sell it if it doesn't work out. I've been through a few race bikes, it's fun trying them out and finding what you like best.

metallicat

Reaction score
www.KhandrosDesigns.com
I agree w/ sv650s. We saw one @ njmp that was tearing it up, and I do hear they make great, very light track bikes. They have standard clipons, easily modifiable components (gxr forks, etc), a great following, and chances are cheaper and MUCH less abused than a true crotch rocket at any price point.

Hell I always considered one alongside the fz6 for every day riding :).

Then again, what the heck do I know :eek:.

As for insurance, w/ a motorcycle (in NY) unlike a car, you don't need insurance to register it, but I am pretty sure you might at least do that. If you get a cheap bike, [full] insurance may not even make sense since your deductible may be 1/4 of the bike's cost... but then again, your crazy NJ premiums aren't that bad.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you're looking at getting a truly dedicated track bike (ie: no street use) then dont bother with insurance. You'll be paying money for something you don't ride everyday and will be a challenge to deal with in the event it goes down. A properly setup track bike will have aftermarket clip-ons, rearsets, track fairings, etc. These are designed to take a beating, be easily replaced (individual parts if needed), and not cost that much. Track crashes aren't that bad (unless you REALLY screw up).

If you buy a track bike with a title, then just get the title transferred (it's $25 for me). This will prove the bike is yours and will make make for a higher resale (people generally like bikes with titles). The other (cheaper) option is buying a fully setup trackbike with a bill of sale. I've done this before and it's actually quite common. Just make sure to run the VIN and maintain the bill of sale.

As for bikes, from my experience, it is much cheaper to buy a fully setup track bike with aftermarket goodies versus building it up as you go. I understand you're "new" at this and I warned you earlier about the addiction, but if you continue the track-path you WILL start to upgrade things. You can find many track-ready bikes on WERA Classifieds and NESBA forums, as well as many others.

What bike should you get? My suggestion would be to start small...like SV650. They can be found cheap, are cheap to run, parts are abundant, and if you got sick of it you could probably sell it for what you paid for it. Smaller bikes will teach you to carry corner speed and how to use all the power you have. Plus they're loads of fun!

SV650 not your thing? Looking at an R6? The 03-05 R6's (also 06-09R6s) will be more "friendly". They have a much more usable power band and more neutral seating position. GSXR's also sit you more neutral and have a smooth power curve - same can be said about CBR's. 06+ R6's sit you very aggressively. Some like this, some don't. Their power doesn't hit til the top of the rev range but when it does, it hits hard (some like this, some don't). In my experience it took me a while to go fast on the R6 while I could jump on a GSXR and feel very comfortable and lay down some impressive lap times. However, once you master the R6 it is one of the best handling bikes out there. 06-07 R6's can be found for less because in 08 they made some changes to the motor and chassis. Not huge changes, but an experienced rider will prefer 08+ R6.

cliff notes - get a already setup track bike that best fits your price range. Try it out - you can always sell it if it doesn't work out. I've been through a few race bikes, it's fun trying them out and finding what you like best.

Awesome info!! Thanks! :thumbup:

OneCheekRider

One Cheek On The Seat!
Reaction score
Visit site
To add... I would not suggest going bigger than a 600 at first. While a liter bike might be nice at first...since you can pretty much leave it in 3rd gear and forget about it and focus on body positioning, track lines, etc... I've found it teaches most newer track riders what I call the "point and shoot" method of track riding: you go through the corners slow, hammer the throttle while upright, then brake quickly before entering the next corner. Also, if you get on the throttle a little too hard and aren't ready for the rear to step out, it can be a bit scary...not to mention adds in your tire expense.

QwickFliCk

Manly Man Member
Reaction score
Visit site
im in the same boat as u eric... ive been searching craigslist for an sv650,r6,zx6,gsxr600 and 750...i saw a clean 07 r6 w/ 7200 miles by ur area for 4900 obo. i might go take a look. im considering an sv but the money you have to put into it for suspension and fairings might as well buy a full on supersport. an r6 i saw track plastics as low as $350:thumbup:

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going to ask any local forum members to organize an intervention this weekend:scared::rof::rof:

That's why I stopped looking at Eric's videos from the track day. It's too addicting.

I opted out to do (light) off roading on my V-strom, instead of track days. Of course that doesn't help that much either, because I keep looking at that DR650 since it much more capable off road.

It never ends.:D

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
Dag, I was looking for the little emtiocon with the horns!

Are we not 'mericans? Bigger is ALWAYS better.:rolleyes: Nothing like blasting 180mph down the straights, parking it in the corner and getting passed by a Ninja 250!! Seriously, if you can ride a 600 to it's full potential, no one at a track day will keep up with you if they're on a 1000. Even an SV, a very good rider will smoke 90% of the track day guys on whatever they are on. For an SV, gen 1 or gen 2. Not much difference. I actually prefer the gen 1 for comfort, feedback and handling. You can pick up either for under $3K. Other good advice you've already heard - buy one that someone has already set up. You get about 10% of your investment in aftermarket parts back when you go to sell. Shocks\forks etc can be rebuilt fairly cheap and you'll probably end up having to change springs for your weight, etc.

If you're stuck on a 600, I would get an 06 GSXR600, only because I have one that I could be talked out of ;) LOL. Any of the 600's are more than capable of fulfilling your need. Go sit on a few and see what feels comfortable. I thought for sure that I wanted an R6 until I sat on one back to back with the gixxer. The gixxer fit me better. Yep, you'll want to transfer the title to prove ownership. Don't discount bikes with salvage or rebuilt titles. You can save a few bucks plus it really doesn't matter for a track bike. No need to insure it. Do you carry full coverage on a $3K car? Depending on where you live, may theft insurance or add it to your home owners. The WERA BB is a good place to look especially this time of year when folks are changing bikes for next year. Also, our forum at sportbiketracktime has a for sale section with lots of good deals and good people that won't rip you off.

You're going about it correctly. Good luck and welcome to the club. Oh, and either plan on getting home before the wife to get the credit card bill out of the mailbox or getting your own card. :D

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
OneCheekRider said:
you can pretty much leave it in 3rd gear and forget about it and focus on body positioning
Check! That part I liked (on FZ1)

OneCheekRider said:
you go through the corners slow, hammer the throttle while upright, then brake quickly before entering the next corner.
Check! :( .. well, not exactly. I never hammer the throttle. I *think* I'm quite good when it comes to rolling on smoothly, but I was definitely taking advantage of the power to keep up with 600cc riders.

OneCheekRider said:
Also, if you get on the throttle a little too hard and aren't ready for the rear to step out, it can be a bit scary
Check! Again, not exactly, but close.. I was very gently getting on the throttle, but between older tires and pretty good rain, it didn't take much at all for the rear to step out. Didn't really scare me all the much, but I definitely slowed down some more after that happened.

OK, 600 it is (or 650). The only reason I even considered anything other than 600 is because I'm used to riding a liter bike on the street, but the track is a very different place.

Thanks for the awesome input, everyone! :thumbup: