Finally....at the track!

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So, on the 16th of Sept. I did my first track day with ACE at NJMP. No pics, but I had a great time and learned a lot. It was so much info (physical and mental), that I left with a feeling of disappointment. I guess I thought I would do better than I did and I'm ashamed to say my dreams of being a pro racer were crushed that day:BLAA:
The more I process that day I realize that it was my first time on a track and I will eventually learn the lines better, body position, etc. But for now.....oh, I want to do it again!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The important part is you're doing it and you've walked away with more experience to bring into your everyday riding. Good for you Brother! :)

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Another one bites the dust! (track riding is like crack.. but more addictive :rof: )

Had an awesome time hanging out and riding with you, Joe!!

I looked into their programs and the military one looks really good. Start saving up now!!

I'm considering doing their last day (last weekend of October) at Lightning.

DeepBlueRider

Reaction score
Visit site
So, on the 16th of Sept. I did my first track day with ACE at NJMP.

Awesome ! Congratulations !

It was so much info (physical and mental), that I left with a feeling of disappointment.

It happen to me on my second (not first) trackday. Is it possible you've tried to hard so keep up with other riders (or push harder), so you've forgot to have fun ?

When I'm on track I'm doing some crazy things to comfort my self. You can here me talking through the corners, singing or humming on a start grid, waving to corners workers on sighting laps and last but not least repeating mantra - "just have fun, just have fun". All of that helps me to forgot about stress and pressure.

And you know what ?:) My fastest laps almost always are when I easy up :)
When I'm not trying to be fastest guy on a track, when I'm not focusing to keep my line, when I don't care if someone will tell me how ****ty rider I am. When that happen I can shave 5-7 seconds on a lap :)

I would like to encourage you to go at least couple more times with "i will have most fun than other peeps there" attitude. :thumbup:

I will eventually learn the lines better, body position, etc. But for now.....oh, I want to do it again!

Thats the spirit :thumbup:

Last edited:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Another one bites the dust! (track riding is like crack.. but more addictive :rof: )

Had an awesome time hanging out and riding with you, Joe!!

I looked into their programs and the military one looks really good. Start saving up now!!

I'm considering doing their last day (last weekend of October) at Lightning.

As I did too, my friend!
I wasn't sure how to put the pieces of the weekend together.....
It was my first track day, Erci's second. Many things went wrong leading up to the track day. First my new set of tires led me on a wild goose chase of vibration issues, Eric's friend bailed out due to forecasted rain and trailer issues, so on and so on....
Now, me being in the military, put the ol' noggin to work and between the two of us we got a plan hatched and put into action.
All in all, it turned out to be a great day. Yes, we even got to ride in the rain during the second session:D
I wanted to give Eric a big thanks for the heads up on the track day and sharing the hotel....we even spooned:BLAA:

Last edited:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome ! Congratulations !

It happen to me on my second (not first) trackday. Is it possible you've tried to hard so keep up with other riders (or push harder), so you've forgot to have fun ?

When I'm on track I'm doing some crazy things to comfort my self. You can here me talking through the corners, singing or humming on a start grid, waving to corners workers on sighting laps and last but not least repeating mantra - "just have fun, just have fun". All of that helps me to forgot about stress and pressure.

And you know what ?:) My fastest laps almost always are when I easy up :)
When I'm not trying to be fastest guy on a track, when I'm not focusing to keep my line, when I don't care if someone will tell me how ****ty rider I am. When that happen I can shave 5-7 seconds on a lap :)

I would like to encourage you to go at least couple more times with "i will have most fun than other peeps there" attitude. :thumbup:

Thats the spirit :thumbup:
Funny thing was, I had to wear the red shirt for 5 of the 6 sessions because during the evals, the person in front of me would brake hard into the turn. This caused me to brake and change my line at just the time the instructor would turn around to look at us:eek:

Last edited:

DeepBlueRider

Reaction score
Visit site
Funny thing was, I had to wear the red shirt for 5 of the 6 sessions because during the evals, the person in front of me would brake hard into the turn. This caused me to brake and change my line at just the time the instructor would turn around to look at us:eek:

I've never heard about red shirt - What does it mean ? That you're some kind of dangerous rider ? :confused:

My lines are far from being perfect but no one ever complained.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've never heard about red shirt - What does it mean ? That you're some kind of dangerous rider ? :confused:

My lines are far from being perfect but no one ever complained.

It was an intro class. Classroom time then track time, four sessions then an eval. I had to do another eval session. The shirt identified the first timers and helped the instructors spot you.

DeepBlueRider

Reaction score
Visit site
It was an intro class. Classroom time then track time, four sessions then an eval. I had to do another eval session. The shirt identified the first timers and helped the instructors spot you.

Ok, thanks for clarifying.

This eval thing sounds strange (IMO). It puts unnecessary pressure on your mind. Sorry you had to go through this.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, thanks for clarifying.

This eval thing sounds strange (IMO). It puts unnecessary pressure on your mind. Sorry you had to go through this.
Looking back, maybe it did add some pressure. I "passed" on the fifth session after explaining to the instructor about the person in front of me...turned in the red shirt and cut me loose. I then promptly learned why they teach what they teach...almost missed a few corners:rolleyes:

ctbandit

Fazer, don't even know er
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you did it and realize that it will only get better. It was nice meeting you at the races. I'm sure it's hard to go out there after watching those guys and be like, why am i not dragging elbow right now!?!?!?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you did it and realize that it will only get better. It was nice meeting you at the races. I'm sure it's hard to go out there after watching those guys and be like, why am i not dragging elbow right now!?!?!?

It would be harder to accept my *speed* if I were in my 20's. As is, I'm very happy with my riding and it's a blast, no matter how slow I go :D

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It would be harder to accept my *speed* if I were in my 20's. As is, I'm very happy with my riding and it's a blast, no matter how slow I go :D
SPEED....that is one sins that got me that day. The faster I rode, the less I learned and lost some of the fun. Next time, my ride, my speed, my fun:thumbup:

QwickFliCk

Manly Man Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It was so much info (physical and mental), that I left with a feeling of disappointment. I guess I thought I would do better than I did and I'm ashamed to say my dreams of being a pro racer were crushed that day:BLAA:

i felt the exact same way! lol

SPEED....that is one sins that got me that day. The faster I rode, the less I learned and lost some of the fun. Next time, my ride, my speed, my fun:thumbup:

same here i took it easy on my last few sessions and it worked out a lot better! glad to hear u had fun! let me know when u guys plan on goin back ill definitely try to make it. i haven't tried njmp yet

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i felt the exact same way! lol

same here i took it easy on my last few sessions and it worked out a lot better! glad to hear u had fun! let me know when u guys plan on goin back ill definitely try to make it. i haven't tried njmp yet

ACE has one last day in late October.....might try for that.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
ACE has one last day in late October.....might try for that.

Not to mention first timers (with ACE) get to do it for $99!! Can't beat that. (again... just like crack, first one's free :rof: )

Just keep in mind it'll be on Lightning track (almost all track days are on Thunderbolt).

Lightning is shorter and FASTER. Check youtube on-board videos.

If I do get to make this one, it'll be my first time on Lightning as well.