4 Years out of use...

xeres

Reaction score
Visit site
Not exactly an FZ6 question i must admit but you guys seem to have good overall mechanical knowledge so here goes:

Im thinking of buying a European Daytona 600 (2003) but the bike has not been used in 4 years. It has a dust cover on it and will have a new battery and MOT upon sale of it. The engine itself has only covered 1200miles though so technically almost brand new.

Im nervous because a standing bike is not usually a good thing. Not with fluids anyway I believe. Assuming the worst, potentially the tyres would need replacing and may be slightly misshapen if left untouched for so long, brake lines checked for cracking and all over fluid change due to settling.
Im not completely sure of the condition it was garaged in (im hoping he had the sense to drain most fluids, and oil here and there) but what, if any, dangers or problems could i forsee with this?

Please note i have NOT seen this bike and am in the process of asking the questions but I want to be sure im asking the right questions and know what things to look for or whether this would be a bad idea full stop.

Thanks,

Bo

xeres

Reaction score
Visit site
ah yes, good question.

Apparent excuse is "bought it for when i got my license, still haven't so freeing up space in garage". Yes, it seems that this is a dodgy purchase which is why i want to go in with my eyes open and aware of potential dangers. After all, everyone assumes he worst but this could be a potential bargain waiting to be bought.

Bo x

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
I would replace the tires for sure and all the fluids in the bike. After that if it runs i would ride the motor easy for abour 10 to 15 miles then hammer it for 100 miles or so to get everything in order. Then change all the fluids again. After changing them a second time i would ride it and change it when needed as usual.

H

HavBlue

I tend to agree with James. The conditions surrounding the storage will make a huge difference over time. If the bike were stored in a damp area things like rust and such will likely be an issue whereas if it were stored in a dry atmosphere things could be better. Either way a proper inspection is clearly warranted. Things like crankcase oil, brake fluids and such would be out of here before I even considered firing the engine or putting any faith in the brakes ability to save my butt. If the caliper seals are questionable and blow, bye-bye- your ability to stop. The coolant should be changed as well. Your ideas are sound.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Perhaps you can find a GOOD bike mechanic at a local shop who would look it over for you (for a fee of course) and/or have him do the service work for you.

gomd3

Reaction score
Visit site
well def check the tank for rust. Worst case you have to reline the tank, replace the fuel filter, check fuel lines for corrosion deposits. Then replace engine oil, if you can flush it by changing the oil once, run the engine for 5 minutes, then replace again. def. change antifreeze and give the hoses a good look over. Finally check brake fluid for coloration and condensation ,meaning water in the system and flush/bleed in neccesary. check everything rubber like intake boots, brake lines, coolant hoses and replace tires if cracking is visible. Hope you get it for a good price. Good luck.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Perhaps you can find a GOOD bike mechanic at a local shop who would look it over for you (for a fee of course) and/or have him do the service work for you.

This is a top idea.

If you are getting it cheap then spend a bit getting it put right by a pro.

Steve