re-pete

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Guy's / Gal's
New to this site. Just bought my first Yamaha. I've bee riding sport bikes for twenty years.
I just picked up a 2004 FZ6, silver and black in color, it's mint and only has 9,000 kms on it. I think it's faster than my 94 ninja and wayyyyyy more comfortable.
So far I've replaced the steering head bearing, the old one was rotten and making a clunking sound which you could feel through the frame.( scary) If you have not replaced your head bearings, you should. the originals , at least in the 04 look like bycycle bearings. I replaced and upgraded to a nice set of tapered head bearings $39.00 at the local Yamaha dealer. 2 hrs labour to replace the part and makes the world of differance. Bike now feels safe and planted.

I've also installed a set of 2004 R-6 cams, it breathes and pulls hard all the way to 14000rpm, much better at least for my riding style.

Next project.. remove the rear fender and turn indicater assembly. just plain ugly!!!! Plus it hides the big 190 rear tire.
I've measured and cut a metal bracket that bolts to existing holes under the tail peice ( it looks like yamaha knew the back of the bike was ugly and have made it easy to remove) turn indicaters will be tucked in close and rear fender will be gone.

Thanks for the site, need some where to talk about my bike. all my buddies are " sport bikers" and give me a hard time until they realize I not only can keep up, but can make them look stupid on a straight stretch.. oh and did I mention, my back and *** don't hurt after driving all day cause it's a comfy motorcycle

Cheers!!!

S

sportrider

welcome aboard!!!
I've thought about the R-6 cam swap also, did you install a power commander to go along with the cams? I'm running a 190 rear now too, but I like the 180 way better, the 190 slowed turn in too much and it requires more effort to hold greater lean angles. I got a good deal on the tires so I thought I would try them, but I'm going back to a 180 as soon as my pilot powers get here!!!

P.S. did you dyno the bike before and after the cam swap? interested to see what the actuall gain was!
:Sport:

re-pete

Reaction score
Visit site
Good to be aboard,
Didn't go for the power commander, my wrench guy said not to bpther unless i was putting on pipes. He's been racing for years so i defer to him.
I like the 190 for straight line stuff, the 180 is better for turn in.
I didn't dyno the bike.. seems every article you read gives a differant horsepower rating. By the seat of the pants feel should be somewhere near 100hp at the wheel.
Getting ready to bail from work. two week vacation!!!
Lots of riding , fishing , camping and general goofing off.
I live in nova Scotia, where are you?

fz6xlr8r

Reaction score
Visit site
If Pete and re-pete are setting on a log and Pete fell off, who's left?.............re-pete
If Pete and re-pete are setting on a log and Pete fell off, who's left?.............re-pete

Okay, that's enough. LOL Good to have you with us. Welcome.:Sport:

Last edited: