Anyone use mobil m1-108?

Trialsin

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi alll. New to the forums. So far I've found a ton of great information and love the site.

I purchased my 2009 fz6 about a month ago and love it. Bought it with 7800 miles and am slowly ensuring the maintenance is done on it. I notice when I check the oil on the centerstand it's a bit above the marks on the dipstick. So, I want to change the oil to ensure it's done correctly. I'm not totally worried since I bought it from a motorcycle shop, but still...

My question is this: has anyone used the Mobil 1 m1-108 oil filter? I saw on the oil filter thread it was a recommended filter, but didn't read that anyone had actually used it. Since this bike is my baby, I'm extremely paranoid to make a mistake and somehow ruin it. So I just want to ensure it will work, and do a good job. I went to the auto store and bought it a long with Valvoline 4t 10w40 full synthetic, and then got paranoid I somehow purchased the wrong items.

Thanks for the info and sorry to ask questions that are in other threads. What can I say. I'm paranoid ;)

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
I use the M1-108 on my bike and my Miata. Good filter.

I prefer Rotella T6 5w40, but there's nothing wrong with using the Valvoline oil.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Is the Valoline "high mileage", or energy efficient oil? If so take it back. It will cause your clutch to slip.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
So long as the oil has the JASO MA or JASO MA2 certification, it's good to use.

Wasn't aware until this morning that JASO MA was recently broken up into two new specs: JASO M1 and JASO M2. M2 is the one for wet clutches. M1 is not appropriate, I read -- too slippery. Probably start seeing M2 replace MA on motorcycle oil labels one of these days.

Trialsin

Reaction score
Visit site
The Valvoline I bought was rated Jaso M2. Changed the oi/filterl and took it for a spin.

At first the shifting felt much smootheri than it previously had. Then I jumped onto the freeway and tried to go into 6th. The bike acted as if I hit neutral. However, got it into 6th and carried on. A short while later, after exiting the freeway, I tried 6th again. Same thing - acted as if there was a false neutral. So, I headed home and kept running through the gears. It didnt do it again, but I also didnt jump on the freeway.

I'm wondering why it would do that. Prior to the oil change it hadnt done that so I'm assuming it's a result of the oil change. iI have no idea what kind of oil was previously used. I hope there wasnt somethung I was suppose to do if this was the first time with full synthetic?

I'm going to head out later and try again...

Oh, and Hellgate, it was neither of the two you mentioned but apparently with the same result.

Recluse420

Reaction score
Visit site
I did until I wouldn't come off without buying a oil can remover with teeth, last time I do that forever will I support the K&N filter with the super easy quick release bolt on the end, I will never look back at oil filter caps again!

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/KN-204-Motorcycle-Powersports-Performance-Filter/dp/B000E2CVI8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376866568&sr=8-1&keywords=k%26n+oil+filter+fz6]Amazon.com: K&N KN-204 Motorcycle/Powersports High Performance Oil Filter: Automotive[/ame]

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
It's your baby. Go ahead and be paranoid! I use Mobil 1 10w40 motorcycle oil and usually Fram filters. (I know = Ahhhhhh!)
No matter what I do after it's ran it's always above the full mark! (I quit worrying about it three years ago! : ) Good luck and safe riding!

Trialsin

Reaction score
Visit site
Just wanted to post a quick update. The bike shifts great now so I don't know what the deal was at first.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the replies.