Shark Evo-line Flip Helmets

hoggies

Reaction score
Visit site
OK. In from lurking mode...

I'm researching helmets and came across this helmet in my local Yamaha shop. (I think it's a fairly new model from Shark) It was very comfortable and the design features are brilliant.

But, the question is: how is it in real life? Does any one have one, and if so, how does it perform?

Thanks for any info.
David

nlheikki

2009 Buell XB12Scg
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's a video link to show everybody the helmet....

[nomedia]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sX7SFyw7-Q[/nomedia]

W

wrightme43

Nope dont have one. Did have the RSR2 shark. Hella good helmet. Large round open vent in the center chopped bugs into chunks and then dropped the pieces in your hair. Some still alive.

Other than that a wonderful helmet.

Avalon786

Reaction score
Visit site
I love sharks, i've had like 4 of em. Now i currently ride with the RSi Alien. The shape is nice, but what i love is how snug it is all round on my head! Very comfy.
(Euh teddy bears in the background are NOT mine, ex girlfriends room :D )

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks nlheikki,
I hadn't seen the video, and the reviews are good.
Gonna get one!

Did you buy this in the end Hoggies? How is it? I'm interested too:confused:.

Does anyone else know of any other helmets that you can convert from full-face to open-face while riding and which have the chin bar go round the back (except for the Roof Boxer V)???

Thanks

hoggies

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, I did promise to report back didn't I? Ooops! Sorry.

It's a brilliant helmet in all respects - except one:

Weight.

It weighs a ton - well, it feels like it. It's actually 1900 gr, but because I am not using the bike on a daily basis, my neck muscles haven't strengthened up enough!

It's not quite so bad when the chinbar is right over the back of the helmet, that seems to balance it out a bit more, but on a long ride, it's quite uncomfortable. So much so that I've bought myself a Yamaha 'Roof' helemet (at 1300gr) for day to day riding.

I'll keep the Shark for very hot days.

Regards
David

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, I did promise to report back didn't I? Ooops! Sorry.

It's a brilliant helmet in all respects - except one:

Weight.

It weighs a ton - well, it feels like it. It's actually 1900 gr, but because I am not using the bike on a daily basis, my neck muscles haven't strengthened up enough!

It's not quite so bad when the chinbar is right over the back of the helmet, that seems to balance it out a bit more, but on a long ride, it's quite uncomfortable. So much so that I've bought myself a Yamaha 'Roof' helemet (at 1300gr) for day to day riding.

I'll keep the Shark for very hot days.

Regards
David

Yeah, after reading up on it, it seemed pretty heavy to me. My Takachi TK85 is about 1.7kg and it's a bit heavy (as well as having crap ventilation, poor quality visor and noisier than my last £30 helmet!

What do you mean by Yamaha "Roof" helmet? The Roof Boxer?

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
OK. In from lurking mode...

I'm researching helmets and came across this helmet in my local Yamaha shop. (I think it's a fairly new model from Shark) It was very comfortable and the design features are brilliant.

But, the question is: how is it in real life? Does any one have one, and if so, how does it perform?

Thanks for any info.
David
Welcome to the site,
Try to post a picture or a link for what you are after.
Have you checked out the SHARP link.

SHARP - The Helmet Safety Scheme

Good luck Nelly

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you buy this in the end Hoggies? How is it? I'm interested too:confused:.

Does anyone else know of any other helmets that you can convert from full-face to open-face while riding and which have the chin bar go round the back (except for the Roof Boxer V)???

Thanks
Caberg and Nolan do system helmets.

Nelly

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Caberg and Nolan do system helmets.

Nelly

Do you mean ones that flip up like the one shown below?
SideVisor_lg.jpg

If so, which ones are they? I don't really want another helmet that only flips up this far:-
01whiteliftlarge.jpg

I also want a sun-visor in addition to the normal clear visor like this one:-
trip_flip_front.jpg

I've spent ages looking over the net for options that aren't ridiculously expensive or heavy but there don't seem loads out there. :(

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
the caberg Justissimo-GT seems to tick all the boxes,and its bluetooth compatible..its 1.05kg i dunno if that heavy or light for a helmet

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
the caberg Justissimo-GT seems to tick all the boxes,and its bluetooth compatible..its 1.05kg i dunno if that heavy or light for a helmet

Yeah I looked at that too. Cheers for pointing it out. You can get one for £100 online (which is what I paid for my Takachi in a store) and I tried one on at the dealership recently. Think it's a bit heavier than 1kg though.

Problem with that is, the flip doesn't go all the way round the back so it doesn't turn into an open-face helmet like the shark and the boxer and is therefore illegal to ride around with up (as I do often!).

If I'm gonna pay £100-£150 for a helmet I want it to be an significant upgrade from my current one - not just a slight improvement.

greyrider

Reaction score
Visit site
Just bought the new Evoline 2, as a replacement for my old Arai, and I love it. The slide down sunshade is great and the helmet is very comfortable. It is slightly noisier than the Arai, but being an old guy I just turn down my hearing aids and it's just like riding with earplugs. Fit and finish are great. Thankfully I haven't had to test it's effectiveness in a crash but all the tests bode well for protecting my noggin.

gjpollman

Reaction score
Visit site
which Arai is this closest to the shape of the evoline? I was interested in picking up one of these but there arent any dealers around here for me to try it out, i wear the Arai Profile, long oval shape but there is the occasional helemt that fits me regardless of shape. Thanks for any info