NY Ticket and Assesment

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What the heck is up with NY. I do not even live in the state but recently got a ticket (77 in a 55)... so the ticket ended up being $240 which is not that bad, but then they send me some assessment thing that states i need to pay $100 per year for the next three years on top of the ticket!!! what a total rip off!! looks like i wont be spending much time in NY i guess..

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That sucks man. As it is here in Cali as in NY it's all about generating revenue for the state. :Flip:

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Man that sucks donkey dong!! it seems they are going after repeat offenders and serious violations.. maybe you won't have to pay it?

From the nys dmv website - NYS DMV - Driver Responsibility Program

Who must pay a driver responsibility assessment?

You must pay the driver responsibility assessment if any of the following incidents occur:

you are convicted of an alcohol-related traffic violation and the violation occurred in NYS on or after November 18, 2004 (includes boats and snowmobiles); or
you are convicted of a drug-related traffic violation and the violation occurred in NYS on or after November 18, 2004 (includes boats and snowmobiles); or
a DMV hearing determines that you refused a chemical test and the refusal occurred in NYS on or after November 18, 2004 (includes boats and snowmobiles); or
you receive six or more points on your NYS driver record during a period of 18 months and the violations occurred in NYS, Quebec or Ontario on or after November 18, 2004.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Look into getting a traffic attorney, level the playing field so you don't get screwed. Yeah, the attorney is happy, but at least you know where your money will be going.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
thanks for the thoughts.. i plan on paying it as i was doing 77 in a 55 and by rights should not be complaining.. more of a heads up to anyone thinking of speeding through NY!!!

this is the best though - "The assessments apply whether you have a driver license issued by NYS or any other jurisdiction, or you have no driver license at all."

which mean i should shut it and pay up!!!

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm sorry to say but sometimes I'm embarassed that USA has gone this direction. All these special, B.S., this/that tack-on fees nowadays: it's ridiculous and, seriously, obvious revenue-motivated "cleverness." Many of the traffic "fines" nowadays... The "official" stance is always, isn't it, "it's due to'safety' reasons"? It's become so sleazy that corrupt Mexican federales probably blush if hear/read about USA tactics to fleese dinero from motorists. Reminds me of the popular hotel "resort fees" that are tacked on whether you use any thing "resort" oriented or not. It's all about obfuscation and "got'cha" mentality. I miss the days when respect, honesty, etc., were the norm.

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Something about making you pay over three years just seems...wrong.

What if you offered to pay $300 up front? Would they take it?

Would a total ticket value of $540 seem like too much?

Does it somehow reduce the blow if you pay over time instead of all at once or does it make it worse? What if they forced you to pay the $540 over the course of 12 years at $45 per year?

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
"...police alerted officers in orbit around the earth, who intercepted the motorcyclists just moments later."

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

nope.. i was on 87 just above albany.. the town is latham and its the cop that hands out ticket after ticket.. guy was already pulling someone over (not even 2 mins) right after he pulled me over.. all during rush traffic..

as for paying it all up front, i dont have the extra 300 so i can pay 100 now and i can pay the balance later or next year..