FZ6 w/ Scorpion Exhaust w/o Power Comander?

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All,

Been a while since I was on the forums. I have 2 FZ6s. One a Red 2004 w/ a Leo Vince exhaust, no Power Commander. The second is a Blue 2006 w/ Scorpion Exhaust (older style) and a Power Commander.

The Red gets @ 52MPG. Blue gets closer to 35MPG. Actual ride on each is pretty near the same. Both have a smooth power curve through the RPM range with no 'hump' around 4k-5k like you get with the stock exhaust. Both have plenty of power and I honestly can't feel a difference between the two bikes power wise.

So I'm thinking that I want to pull the Power Commander from Blue Bike and see if the mileage improves.

Does anyone know if the Scorpion Ex was tuned to be used without the PComander or if it is necessary?

Thanks,

PJ

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When I fitted a PowerCommander to my bike, with Scorpion Carbon cans, I noticed a drop in fuel economy, and the tailpipe got all black and sooty (as it would when running rich)

I spoke with my local mechanic, and he said the PC would make it run rich - and that it was ok to remove.

So I did, over 6000mi ago, and there have been no ill effects.

Cheers,
Rick

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There is a zero map that you can upload to you PClll that just smooths out the throttle response but make very little change the the stock mapping. Disconnect your battery for 30 minutes so you dump your volatile memory on your ECM, load the zero map to the PClll or just remove the PClll and see what happens. :)

PS: I remember you! Lol!

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I tried the zero map, Motogiro, I tried the Scorpion map, and I tried the dyno map the previous owner of the Scorps got made - and all adversely affected my fuel economy.

I pulled the PC and my fuel usage immediately went back to where it was, prior to fitting the PC.

Cheers,
Rick

7UPyours

Reaction score
Visit site
this is a bit of a good news to me, I had 2bros exhaust installed and was wondering if I should be looking for a PC to get the most out of the bike......I think I will hold off for now

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Funny you posted this..
I had the same situation. I hooked up a Bazzaz, eventually downloaded their slip on map and my mpg went from 50ish to 30-35ish. I could drop 5 fuel bars and only be at 95 miles:eek:
I unhooked it and got 210 miles on the next tank of gas. I may end up selling it, idk.

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
PS: I remember you! Lol!

Thanks, It's good to be remembered. :) Job got busy enough that it is tough to surf the forums. Still riding two FZ6s. Still enjoying the heck out of them.

I don't often roll the tack above 9K. When I do it is a run through gears 1, 2 and 3 getting on the highway with a lot of empty road in front of me. I really can't say if there is any power difference between the two bikes. The only real difference I know it that the Blue/Scorp bike is louder and gets worse mileage than the Red/Leo Vince bike.

Thanks to everyone for their input. The PC is coming out. :)

bigdog9191999

High-tech Redneck
Reaction score
Visit site
yep there are scorps on ours no commander, had 2,500 miles when we got it, it has 15,000+ now and going like a trooper! and with that many miles they are sounding good too!

Senior

My brother is Junior
Reaction score
Visit site
Scorpion without a commander is no problem, I was getting 65 mpg (imperial: 4.554 litres to a gallon) when I first got the FZ6 and was new to motorcycling.

Now I know how to get the best performance out of the FZ6 on a good day's riding it's been as low as 40 mpg :D:D:D:D:D:D

Sent from my HTC One on Vodafone 4G using Tapatalk 2

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
I pulled the Power Commander out last night and took her for a quick run. It may be that I rode the other bike more often (location) than this one and I'm used to a bike w/o the PC but I actually think she rides a bit better without. Obviously I won't know about the mileage for a tank or two but I do know that regardless of the outcome, the PCIII is going up for sale.

Thanks to everybody. I'll update everyone on the Mileage once I get a few more tanks in.

And because I'm here thinking about it. Since I've been tracking, just noting miles/gallons in my iPhone over the past spring/summer:

Blue Bike: Scorpion Exhaust (old style, turned down tips) Power Comander

123.3 / 3.37 = 36.5 MPG <-Filled last fall, finished this Spring
169.9 / 3.84 = 44.24 MPG
135.2 / 3.51 = 38.51 MPG
Power Commander removed

Red bike

208.4 / 4.347 = 47.90 <-Filled last fall, finished this spring

204.4 / 4.23 = 48.3

182.4 / 3.58 = 50.9

189.1 / 3.4 = 55.6

236 / 4.27 = 55.26

184.2 / 3.48 = 52.9

Mta1981

Reaction score
Visit site
So is there any danger in running lean with the scorpion exhaust and using the zero map? I have the same situation with loss of fuel economy. Ive used the scorpion map and the leo vince map from pc's website and both are rich as hell. Maybe the stock bike map would be better than the zero map just to get a little bit of power?

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
I can't give a knowlageable answer to the lean condition part of that question. All I know is others in this thread have said that they ran Scorps without PCs without problems. So I would have to guess it is ok to run that way.

As to the added power from a PC, I just don't feel it with the standard 'seat of the pants' test. I did a quick run after I pulled it and while I do feel a subtle difference in how the bike runs, I can not attribute that to more or less power. So if there is any gains to be had with a PC, I couldn't' feel them.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So is there any danger in running lean with the scorpion exhaust and using the zero map? I have the same situation with loss of fuel economy. Ive used the scorpion map and the leo vince map from pc's website and both are rich as hell. Maybe the stock bike map would be better than the zero map just to get a little bit of power?

The bike runs fine with open SCORP's, WITHOUT any PC added on. No, it won't lean out.

A zero map, I would think is the same as without having a PC.

Now, if you start doing other mods, aftermarket air filter, air box mod, etc, you'll likely need a PC to richen it up some..

BlackMilk

Reaction score
Visit site
I can confirm a "zero map" has no adjustments to the map already on your bike and hence will run as if the PC is not even there.

The "stock map" is a tuned version of the standard map with no mods.

I've just installed a PCV and I will be checking how my usual 50 mpg changes. It has done what I wanted it to however by smoothing out the throttle response making corners easier to power into and changing from 1st to 2nd gear smoother

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
I can confirm a "zero map" has no adjustments to the map already on your bike and hence will run as if the PC is not even there.

The "stock map" is a tuned version of the standard map with no mods.

I've just installed a PCV and I will be checking how my usual 50 mpg changes. It has done what I wanted it to however by smoothing out the throttle response making corners easier to power into and changing from 1st to 2nd gear smoother

Do you have an aftermarket exhaust? Because all the issues you listed were solved by an exhaust on my red bike. That is one of the things that got me thinking about removing the PCIII from Blue bike to try to improve the mileage on that one.

Rolltider11

Reaction score
Visit site
I have scorpions, no pc and it runs great. I'm about to put in a k&n and after reading maybe I shouldn't. I don't want to add a pc just for an air filter.