New Front Tire Feels Heavy

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So I had a new set of Michellin Pilot Powers put on my bike this week. For some reason, my front tire becomes real heavy and wobbly at slow speeds. I mean heavy as far as trying to make tight turns, and wobbly like it feels like I'm trying to control a gyroscope. I called Yamaha today and they told me to bring in the bike on Saturday so they can take a look. Any ideas. I checked the tire pressure, its at 32psi, a unit down, but shouldn't cause that kind of a feeling. Tire was balanced before being placed back onto the bike too. Weird.

christod1

Just a member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i would very carefull how I ride the bike if I was you untill I got it checked. Possibly the tyre is faulty or most probably it hasn't been put on correctly. Be very carefull..

oso2k

Reaction score
Visit site
So I had a new set of Michellin Pilot Powers put on my bike this week. For some reason, my front tire becomes real heavy and wobbly at slow speeds. I mean heavy as far as trying to make tight turns, and wobbly like it feels like I'm trying to control a gyroscope. I called Yamaha today and they told me to bring in the bike on Saturday so they can take a look. Any ideas. I checked the tire pressure, its at 32psi, a unit down, but shouldn't cause that kind of a feeling. Tire was balanced before being placed back onto the bike too. Weird.

PPs have this tendency until they're properly broken in. However, I would be a little concerned about the pressure. I thought standard pressure was 36 PSI and 42 PSI for heavy guys like me. Bump up the pressure when you can and make you do a thorough break in run.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
PPs have this tendency until they're properly broken in. However, I would be a little concerned about the pressure. I thought standard pressure was 36 PSI and 42 PSI for heavy guys like me. Bump up the pressure when you can and make you do a thorough break in run.

Correct tire pressure according to the manual is 33 for the front and 36 on the rear. I'm not really a very big person, weigh about 150, maybe 160 with gear. I was wondering if the tire was placed on correctly as well, but it seems to look it's aligned properly and bolts intact. I was planning to take it in anyway for a 100 mile safety inspection torque check on the bolts.

W

wrightme43

Is the little direction of rotation arrow pointing the right way?

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I run PPs at 36/36 on the street (and higher 2up), are you referring to the FZ6 manual???? I don't think the direction should make a difference in the dry and balancing shouldn't be an issue unless you're in the triple digits. Are you sure you're not just needing to get used to how a fresh new tire feels? Did you check over the entire front end?

32 psi on the front is getting close to race track pressure...i'd add 4 to six pounds and see how it feels.

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Is the little direction of rotation arrow pointing the right way?

Are you sure you're not just needing to get used to how a fresh new tire feels? Did you check over the entire front end?

32 psi on the front is getting close to race track pressure...i'd add 4 to six pounds and see how it feels.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will follow up on Saturday, including adding more preassure. I never recalled my front end feeling like that when I first got the bike and had the stock tires on. I would definately remember it. I had a chance to ride Idanny's FZ6 the other night, as we traded off bikes for curiosity sakes, and his were fine. Although he has the 2CT's, and about 700 miles on them, it was fine.

H

HavBlue

Correct tire pressure according to the manual is 33 for the front and 36 on the rear. I'm not really a very big person, weigh about 150, maybe 160 with gear. I was wondering if the tire was placed on correctly as well, but it seems to look it's aligned properly and bolts intact. I was planning to take it in anyway for a 100 mile safety inspection torque check on the bolts.

I run 36 to 38 in the front on my Road Attacks. As DI said earlier, 32psi is pretty soft. In the times I was down there with the D252 tire the front felt very heavy at slow speeds

W

wrightme43

Then I run 32 frt 34 rear but thats with Storms and it works well for me, feel is very planted with easy turn in and control. I guess its just different for each tire and rider. When I raise the pressure for 2 up and then ride alone with it, it feels very harsh and wierd to me.

Maybe experiment with tire pressures?

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I am confident you are not going to like them, take them off and send them to me now! I will send you mine in exchange, problem solved...j/k

Have you tried the simple method, put the bike up the center stand, manually rotate the tire check the for proper bead seating, weight placement, slightly mis molded tire etc??

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I bumped up my front tire pressure up to 36 psi. It helped a bit, but still thought the front end was still heavy at slow speeds making tight turns. The guys at the Yamaha shop rebalanced the tire for me. I will wait and see if I feel any changes as the tire breaks in. It could be that the tire is just more stickier, causing the heavy feeling. Going have to ride Idanny's FZ6 again and compare, or let him ride mine and see what he thinks.

H

HavBlue

Well I bumped up my front tire pressure up to 36 psi. It helped a bit, but still thought the front end was still heavy at slow speeds making tight turns. The guys at the Yamaha shop rebalanced the tire for me. I will wait and see if I feel any changes as the tire breaks in. It could be that the tire is just more stickier, causing the heavy feeling. Going have to ride Idanny's FZ6 again and compare, or let him ride mine and see what he thinks.

This is meant to be a joke...

My bikes are like an extension of my soul and to allow another to ride my bikes would be like letting somebody ride my wife so either ain't happening.....

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Lots of interesting sugestions Vegas, could it just be that you are not used to the profile? Back in the day when the first BT's came out I thought that my bike was going to fall over when I tipped into a gentle bend. Have you run pilots before? I know this is daft but also has to be asked, are you running the same brand of matching tyres front and back?

Nelly

W

wrightme43

I just took my new avon storm frt out for a spin. Tip in, stand up, braking, and all feels almost the same, Just not whump whumpa whump whumpa over 100 any more. You can really see the cupping when the tire is removed from the rim.

This new tire took zero balance wieghts when the low wieght dot was aligned to the stem.

The rear took 1.5 oz on each side in the exact same place.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I got a new set, front and back. Verified correct tire size, direction, and psi. Took in for rebalance and the front end feels still heavy. Like I said, it just that the tire is just that more sticker. It's my 2nd set of tires, 1st being my stock Dunlops 252's which I got about 13,500 (21,600 km).

As far as letting someone riding my bike, I'm never that selfish. What wrong with swapping? People swing all the time? What do you think that Deals Gap meet next week is all about? It's going to be a massive FZ6 orgy.

W

wrightme43

You just made me laugh untill my lungs hurt. LOL

I am going to see if I cant work in a threesome. You know

Red, Silver and Blue. Oh hell yeah!!

W

wrightme43

Right Right.

Black and Cobalt
Red and Blue
Silver

and a Euro orange one.

Then I would be cool.

I just look at my bike as a machine. I like it, I work on it, I care about it, but she is a machine to me.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd still probaby go up to 38 or so unless you're out carving up the mountain roads. It's a much stickier tire than those wooden Dunlops and any difference you're feeling should be making you smile, not worry...brand new pilot powers FTW!!!!