A pictorial introduction to Streetfighters

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
From wiki:

"The term "streetfighter" appears to have been originally coined by two drag racers, Odgie and Lil' Mark, whilst they worked at BSH (Back Street Heroes - a UK custom bike magazine) in the early 1990s. They applied the term to motorcycles which were modified to enhance their performance and handling, as opposed to the custom scene which preferred style over outright ability. (Can't take credit for this one, it was Steven Myatt who invented the term, to describe what the guys like Irish Stewart and Huffy were building at the time - late 1980s. They were kinda like what we used to call lowriders, only crossed with drag-strip styling, using big Jap Four motors, long low rigid frames, small tanks, nose cone fairings - nothing like the streetfighters of today - and still very much a custom styling thing, albeit with a performance twist. Odgie) The term has since been diluted somewhat, and is now regularly applied to any bike with motocross style handlebars, no fairings or other typical customizations. In recent years, the term has also come to be applied to motorcycles manufactured without fairings in this style, usually based on the same engine/frame combination as an equivalent fully-faired motorcycle in the manufacturer's product line-up.

It's unclear when and who built the first of the modern streetfighter. Though it has its roots in the Café racer culture of the 1950s and 1960s, there is a substantial gap between then and the modern streetfighter scene. The current trend in naked sportbikes seems to have started in Italy in the late 1980s, where owners of crashed superbikes started opting to leave off the damaged plastic as the plastic fairing is quite expensive to replace. This is what often gives streetfighters an unfinished or haphazard look.

Currently, (Race Replicas), like the Suzuki GSX-R Series and the Honda CBR series, that have been damaged in accidents or through hooliganism are generally the starting basis for a streetfighter. The GSX-R 750 was initially often favored, due to its light weight and flexible engine. A side effect of the use of the [1980]'s GSX-R was the retention of the dual headlights in the subsequent streetfighter. This feature is now a common trait in both custom bikes and factory streetfighters like the Triumph Speed Triple.

In 1993 Ducati introduced a new naked sportbike called the Monster. Since that time it has been a perennial favorite amongst streetfighter enthusiasts. In 1994 however, Triumph Motorcycles introduced the Speed Triple, based on its Daytona sportbike. This was an immediate success and rapidly eclipsed the Monster in sales. The Triumph is now the current favorite among factory streetfighters due to excellent performance, low ownership cost, and high reliability.

In the intervening years both bikes have been substantially improved, and have been joined by a rapidly growing group of other manufactures producing naked sportbikes. These include: Benelli, Aprilia, Bimota, BMW, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, and Buell, a subsidiary of Harley Davidson. Even the "big four" Japanese motorcycle manufactures, Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, and Yamaha, have tried to enter this market, but with limited success to date."

Even if you are not a streetfighter enthousiast, there are plenty of cool ideas and crafty work going into fighters, and I though this may be a good thread for everyone to enjoy.

I will be posting random pics of fighters I find on the web, so please feel free to post along if you come across something interesting!

:rockon:

View attachment 4002

View attachment 4003

View attachment 4004

View attachment 4005

View attachment 4006

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I know a guy here in chicago with a GSXR1K fighter that he did all the work to and it looks great...dirtbike bars and all. He and many others seem to think that a bike like yours is not a "street fighter" since it started naked. They say there is no such thing as a factory street fighter. I could care less, but thoughts? Oh by the way, I posted pictures of your bike for them once and they all liked it A LOT, but said it was just a customized naked bike, not technically a fighter LOL! Buch of haters? Your bike rocks by the way...love it.

tom5796

Fizshizzle
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, the hardcore guys usually take a crashed sportbike, structurally change the tail angle and minimalize everything else. Very few or no plastics, thin/small/no tail, cut down exhaust etc.

I wouldn't call the 1%ers of that group haters. Maybe fundamentalists or elitists. It really seems to come down to the degree of difficulty and experience required to make the changes oneself vs. just buying parts and slapping them on, and taking other parts off (or just buying a naked bike off a showroom floor).

Obviously I have no problem with the latter. :D

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
I know a guy here in chicago with a GSXR1K fighter that he did all the work to and it looks great...dirtbike bars and all. He and many others seem to think that a bike like yours is not a "street fighter" since it started naked. They say there is no such thing as a factory street fighter. I could care less, but thoughts? Oh by the way, I posted pictures of your bike for them once and they all liked it A LOT, but said it was just a customized naked bike, not technically a fighter LOL! Buch of haters? Your bike rocks by the way...love it.

Thanks Nate :D

I can understand why some ppl may say my bike is not a "real" streetfighter, but certainly not for the reasons your friends mentioned.

First, I did not start naked... my bike had a stock fairing that I took off myself... I know it was only a half fairing, but please... there are no "rules" in the streetfighter book about the size of the fairing :)
Second, there is no clear cut definition of a fighter... I do agree that no factory bike can be a "real" fighter, because by definition, fighters are customized and all of them unique.

To me, a streetfighter is a machine that was customized by its owner. It has to be done with the goal to make the bike aggressive/mean looking, yet keeping it as simple as possible. No plastics (or as little as possible), and all the work ought to be done manually.

That's where I can understand why some ppl may think mine is not a real fighter... I did not mold the headlight fairing myself for example... I did however do all the work myself (except the paint & powder coat), for all the electrical, the headlight bracket, speedo bracket and mounting, top triple swap, rear hugger cut...

Also, you will rarely see a fighter with its original rearend + seat... they are usually custom chopped rearends.... so another reason why one may say I am a little bit behind...

Some ppl may also say that I dropped way too much $$ into my bike for it to be a fighter... again, the trend in the streetfighter world is to "do it all yourself for as cheap as possible", but I believe this trend is slowly changing with ppl just liking fighters more and more... ppl don`t wait to crash to make a fighter out of their bikes anymore... they are looking for something unique and go for it.

Anyway, I posted my bike on the # 1 US fighter site and got great feedback... did not get one comment about whether or not my bike was a "real" fighter... to tell you the truth, I could care less! It is my fighter and I love it very much :rockon:

Last edited:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Anyway, I posted my bike on the # 1 US fighter site and got great feedback... did not get one comment about whether or not my bike was a "real" fighter... to tell you the truth, I could care less! It is my fighter and I love it very much :rockon:

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
lorez%20girl.jpg