Need help for a horn

Pagey

Tiger Boy
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi folks,

After 'white van man' nearly wiping me out twice this week its time for me to upgrade my stock horn. So the question to you folks is.......what would be the most noticeable after market horn that i can fit without having to install new looms and preferably that can be located where my stock horn sits.

Any advice is welcomed and more importantly needed !! :BLAA:

Thanks

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Pagey, there are a bunch of us that have installed Stebel horns that are mighty loud. you will need to wire in a relay so your horn button doesnt burn out but its pretty easy to do.
have a read of this
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/39872-stebel-horn-relays.html
and do a search for "stebel" in the search function at the top of the page you'll find a heap of reading
btw, I had mine off today as I thought I was only getting one tone out of the duo horn but when I had my ear down to it-two notes, all good! and it scares the heck out of cagers

and they are 139dB loud, thats the legal limit here in Oz

Pagey

Tiger Boy
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for that Adrian, i read the problems some people had with power, relays, looms etc and i think i know which way im going but just one last question, where did you locate your Stebel Nautilus mate ??

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Pagey, there are a bunch of us that have installed Stebel horns that are mighty loud. you will need to wire in a relay so your horn button doesnt burn out but its pretty easy to do.
have a read of this
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/39872-stebel-horn-relays.html
and do a search for "stebel" in the search function at the top of the page you'll find a heap of reading
btw, I had mine off today as I thought I was only getting one tone out of the duo horn but when I had my ear down to it-two notes, all good! and it scares the heck out of cagers
has them
and they are 139dB loud, thats the legal limit here in Oz

So did you have to separate the horn from the compressor or was it ok? What was the fix for the issue you were having with the sound output?

Also, +1 for the stebel horn, I love mine.

I think "Hull" is in Europe. If your having issues finding one or getting it delivered, "Pirates Lair" has them and ships oversea's: The Stebel Nautilus Air Horn from Pirates' Lair at 828.628.7093 EST I got the wiring kit with relay which makes it stupid easy to install.

I went overboard and hid it under the left side fairing after making a custom bracket. Pretty much protected from the weather, can't see it but can certainly hear it!
(Just for full disclosure, Pirates lair is a distribrutor I work with.)

Last edited:

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
hey Scott, I pulled it off the bike and looked at pulling the whole thing apart but it has a cover that I just couldnt find a way to take off with out cracking it. I could see how it would separate into two pieces if I got the cover off tho.
Anyway I turned the whole thing upside sown to look into both horns and there was nothing blocking either of them, I re connected it, but -ve to +ve and it has hardley any noise at all, I connected it right way and the sound was perfect, so I dont know if maybe the compressor wasnt pumping enough air and hooking it up backwards has fixed it, I just cant say. Anyhow it seems to be ok, I'll keep my fingers crossed- didnt need it this morning on the way to work, just couldnt be bothered blasting the guy in the Audi on his phone at the lights, he was a bit of a hero, sitting on 75 in a 60 zone, lane jumping all over the shop..... a good candidate for a blast, but it would have startled the cyclist who was right next to me, more.

Cortez

Reaction score
Visit site
Last time I had 2 bikes I bought a duo-pack of Stebel TM80/1 TM80/2 horns.
It's supposed to used together with the relay and stuff, but I've used one horn
on my scooter, and the other on my Kawasaki.

Since then I've moved the horn to every new bike I had, and it's on my FZ6n
now. No special wiring, no relay or anything, just plug and play.

Also, the duo-pack of the TM80s (one is high tone, one is low tone) cost less
then a single stebel nautilus, and are just as loud when used together, IIRC.

I also didn't want to mess around with new wiring and relay so that's why I
got the TM80. It never blew a fuse or anything, even on a 125cc scoot.

tosh23

Reaction score
Visit site
I have this on my bike...scares the **** outa people..since then no problem with old ladies and big trucks...
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3WdfPDvyt4]Legit Ooga Horn - YouTube[/ame]

PS...where are you, im west hull, anlaby...Tosh

chimneydoc

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I replaced my stock horn with Stebel air horn, I was pretty easy. It WILL wake you up. I have used it with much satisfaction :cheer:

Doc

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just a reminder.

Most of the air horns pull alot of current (un-less noted otherwise) and will indeed work for awhile with the stock wiring/horn switch.

A relay is NEEDED as there's considerably more current NOW going thru the horn button and WILL burn it out eventually (and potentially some wiring).

The relay takes the brunt of this additional load, the horn button justs activates the relay and is not pushed beyond what it was designed to do...:thumbup: