Underlying electrical fault or just a bad part?

Decor58

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

Last year my bike started playing up, on random occasions when I let the revs drop below 1500 rpm the engine would stop. I could never figure out why and there was no pattern to when it happened. If I switched the bike off and on again it would work fine.

Eventually the bike died and error code 5 came up. I took it to the garage and they said it was the regulator rectifier, replaced it with a pattern part and it worked fine for several months, then it started playing up again and now it's died again.

I'm wondering if there is an underlying problem or if it's just that these parts go frequently on the FZ6 (2004)?

I didn't replace the battery the first time as it appeared fine, I'm now wondering if I should replace the reg/rec with an OEM part and battery, although the current battery still seems to hold its charge very well...

Any thoughts?

TheRustySpork

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi I don't know if you have had it sorted yet but I had the same issue. It turned out to be the TPS throttle position sensor this is a known recall on the fz6 especially that year ( same as mine) I took mine to a shop and had it replaced for free.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Didn't recall seeing the OP's thread. last post was 06-24-2013.

All I can add is that most RR live a long life until jump started by a running vehicle. This presents more load than the regulator can handle and damages it.

Jump with CAR off ONLY!

Thanks Spork for followup!