Hardwiring GPS - switched power

chemicalsmile

Reaction score
Visit site
After going through a few cigarette lighter chargers for my GPS I'm accepting that they can't handle the vibration and installing a hardwire kit. After searching a bit, it appears these units are always drawing power so I'd like to wire it to a switched power source. From the forum searches it sounds like the front running light wire is a good source to tap into for this but I'm wondering if it will work with my pod light setup:

I've got the pod lights hooked to the 2 positive lines so that they are always on then flash as signals - will tapping into the running light line mess this up?

I'm usually ok with this kind of stuff but the whole non-polarized LED and alternating flasher line has me confused. Any help from the electronics gurus here would be greatly appreciated :)

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You would have to pick the the positive side of the pod light wiring and provide a separate ground for the GPS supply line. If you need a low power tap for your GPS without lifting the tank you can use your headlamp low beam wire.
OEM black with the green tracer is the non-switched low beam and the black wire is it's ground. If you have a BD43 or Motogiro headlamp mod. don't use those switched low beam wires because on high beam they switch off.

This power source is not active until the engine is running. This means there will be no power even with the key turned on and once the bike is started that circuit is active. when the key is turned off that circuit turns off. If you usr the kill switch to shut the motor off but don't turn the key off the headlamps and your tap will remain active. If you want a better setup you'll have to lift the tank.
Let me know what you need. :)

chemicalsmile

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the information- I was planning on sticking the converter box under the tank in that space near the head of the frame - is there an easier place to tap into since I'm digging into there anyways?

cmantis

Reaction score
Visit site
I know you said switched but thought I would throw this out there. They sell a usb connector for the trickle charger connectors but wouldn't be switched.

chemicalsmile

Reaction score
Visit site
I know you said switched but thought I would throw this out there. They sell a usb connector for the trickle charger connectors but wouldn't be switched.

Thanks - that would be nice but I've got one of the old Garmin Nuvi's that only goes into PC mode when it's connected via USB.

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks - that would be nice but I've got one of the old Garmin Nuvi's that only goes into PC mode when it's connected via USB.

Does it charge through the USB port? Or do you have a seperate charge port?
If it's through USB, you can trick it to charge, not go into PC mode...

Grtz,

Degake

Sent from my New iPad using Tapatalk HD

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the information- I was planning on sticking the converter box under the tank in that space near the head of the frame - is there an easier place to tap into since I'm digging into there anyways?
Under your tank, on top of the battery, there is a relay. I believe it's a red with a white tracer wire going to that relay. That is key switched. You can test it to be sure. Then all you need is a ground for your device. :)

Last edited:

chemicalsmile

Reaction score
Visit site
Does it charge through the USB port? Or do you have a seperate charge port?
If it's through USB, you can trick it to charge, not go into PC mode...

It's got a mini USB on the side (the old standard before the really small one that's on most Android devices now). I believe there's a proprietary charge port on the back but I got it second hand with no cradle and a wall charger that goes into that side port. If I hook it to a generic USB charger or PC through a USB cable it won't come out of PC mode - it charges but can't be used at all. How do you trick it?

Motogiro said:
Under your tank, on top of the battery, there is a relay. I believe it a white with a red tracer wire going to that relay. That is key switched. You can test it to be sure. Then all you need is a ground for your device.

This sounds like it'll work great. Thanks for all of your help!

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
It's got a mini USB on the side (the old standard before the really small one that's on most Android devices now). I believe there's a proprietary charge port on the back but I got it second hand with no cradle and a wall charger that goes into that side port. If I hook it to a generic USB charger or PC through a USB cable it won't come out of PC mode - it charges but can't be used at all. How do you trick it?

Can you give me the model number?
Normally, you should be able to short some of the USB cable wires, so the device sees it as just a regular charger (I've done this with some of my devices, including several HTC phones)

Grtz,

Degake

chemicalsmile

Reaction score
Visit site
It's a Nuvi 360. Probably the worst GPS possible to use on a motorcycle but I got it for free and it's held up pretty well.

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
It's a Nuvi 360. Probably the worst GPS possible to use on a motorcycle but I got it for free and it's held up pretty well.

Take a look at this :thumbup:
Also, can you show a picture of the proprietary port on the back of the device?

Edit:
There should be a way without the need to solder:
Follow these steps:
1) Disconnect the nuvi from the charging cable.
2) Press and hold the battery meter icon for 8 seconds. This puts the nuvi into "system test" mode.
3) Plug in the power cable.
4) Click "Exit." The nuvi will reboot, but remain in GPS mode.

Also, you could possibly search for an USB charge only cable. It should be the same as what you need to do in the link above.

Grtz,

Degake

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Correction on my post #7. That should read red with a white tracer wire. :)