Glass-Packs - yeah again

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd been planning on making a ghost/stealth exhaust system that fit under the stock fairings etc.

Tonight I was bored so I took off the exhaust to see how it sounded (mind you my bike doesn't have a cat on it either)
Learned 2 things:
1 - the exhaust without a cat and muffler is LOUD. I am a little deaf after riding around the block.
2 - the bike looks damned good without having clutter under the back seat.

I have planned on nixing my idea of hiding the dual exhaust in the existing exhaust shroud and instead hiding it under the seat, yeah it's possible even with keeping storage, did some measurements. You're probably wondering, what does that look like then? Well, it looks like the FZ6R rear, except you don't loose your underseat exhaust - sure, you don't see it, but you also don't have a stubby coming off the side.

My question is this - for those of you who have years of rednecking mufflers onto trucks (or bikes for those of you with the DIY Glasspack/bought from whatshisname on these forums), how much of a difference does length of a glasspack have? I've heard the longer it is, the less rasp you hear, yada yada yada.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
I've heard the longer it is...
yada yada yada.

That's what she said! And did you just yada yada yada us?

That being said, yes the longer the exhaust, the less raspy it will be and also the less obnoxious (read loud) as you'll have more muffler muffling the bike. I think this sounds like an interesting idea and will be curious to see how it turns out! Subscribed.

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
You wanna hear about some rednecking? Putting glasspacks on a car. Running the dog piss out of it, driving straight to the car wash. And shatter the glass In them SOBs! ;)

73 ford gran Torino. 351c 2v-4bbl

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
You wanna hear about some rednecking? Putting glasspacks on a car. Running the dog piss out of it, driving straight to the car wash. And shatter the glass In them SOBs! ;)

73 ford gran Torino. 351c 2v-4bbl

That's the kind of story this thread was supposed to bring out.

'Me and pops put a pair of 48'' long 4'' diameter cherry bombs on our Ford F1000 tractor and woke up the mayor. Moral of the story - they had a nice low rumble' - that sort of thing.

Back to facts and figures -
Depending on the bend pipe I put in there (thinking a 15* mandrel, as short as possible) I can probably squeeze 16-20'' of muffler there. Planning on leaving a short tip so I can make/fit a silencer in there. Anyone know the outlet diameter of their scorps/2bros that have silencers made already? otherwise I'll just have to make one myself.

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
That's the kind of story this thread was supposed to bring out.

'Me and pops put a pair of 48'' long 4'' diameter cherry bombs on our Ford F1000 tractor and woke up the mayor. Moral of the story - they had a nice low rumble' - that sort of thing.

Back to facts and figures -
Depending on the bend pipe I put in there (thinking a 15* mandrel, as short as possible) I can probably squeeze 16-20'' of muffler there. Planning on leaving a short tip so I can make/fit a silencer in there. Anyone know the outlet diameter of their scorps/2bros that have silencers made already? otherwise I'll just have to make one myself.

I'm not really sure if I'm sensing sarcasm or satire there... ;)

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
Head on over to summit racing or jegs and look. They have lots. They sound ok though.

Won't you have to make a slip on style? Someone told me that some motorcycles exhausts use titanium and it don't weld worth a **** to other metals.

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not really sure if I'm sensing sarcasm or satire there... ;)

Grew up in North Carolina, not quite sure which direction I was going with it, just taking it another level.

Head on over to summit racing or jegs and look. They have lots. They sound ok though.

Won't you have to make a slip on style? Someone told me that some motorcycles exhausts use titanium and it don't weld worth a **** to other metals.

Yeah - Lucky for me I'm about 40 minutes from THE Summit Racing.

Been planning on using a Jones (offbrand/cheaper brand) glasspack - it's aluminumized steel - and yeah, slip on style, just using screw clamps for now, possibly welding a bracket on to hold it to the subframe.

I had been planning on doing welding, when I'd been thinking of going with the dual exhaust, since there aren't many Y/H pipes that's compact enough for what I was going for.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
TB db killer is 3" long. It has a 1.248" ID inlet and a 1.5" ID outlet. More volume gives lower tones. So as the volume goes down, the tones sharpness goes up; to small and it gets that crack/ rasp sound. Those are my thoughts....

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Alright - Ordered parts this afternoon - all I think I'll need is a 45* elbow and the glasspack, as I was able to get them with the right OD to match the midpipe!

Should be getting here on Saturday if I'm lucky, then clamps, hang it and move the license plate and we're golden!

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Video soon -

Glasspack came today. It's a little bigger than I'd expected, so the fit is going to be tight, I think it'll still work. Waiting on the elbow to arrive.

I took the stock muffler out, held the glasspack up to the midpipe (couldn't move the midpipe, seems a bit stuck down where it was clamped onto the headers) and even with a little gap, it did a great job at muffling the sound compared with straight out of the midpipe. But since I had one hand holding the glasspack and the other on the throttle, no video, yet. Elbow should be getting here early next week, though I may get impatient and just go to a muffler shop instead. It's going to be a tight squeeze,not sure if I can actually get the 15'' tube+a bit on either end to fit under there, but if I do, I'll be pleased.

First thoughts -sounds kinda ricey - but then again, it's a Japanese 4 banger, so compared with my roommates triumph 955 triple and 1000cc Italian V-Twin, she'll sound like that.

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Instead of waiting for the steel elbow I ordered off of the internet, which won't arrive till Tuesday, I decided to try out using flex pipe - yes, I've heard it doesn't last, corrodes etc. But it was only 10 bucks, so I got a tube of that, some other fittings and clamps and put it together.

The right tools make any job easier - I'd say my tools were only half right today.
3ijMK8u.jpg

It took a while to hack off enough of the ends of the glasspack to make it fit. Left a bit on the end to allow for fitting a DB killer if I decide that it needs one.

My midpipe was fused to the header, so I put my old handlebars in there and bent it outward a little bit (toward me in the picture) to make things fit. Worked well, here's a picture of the flex pipe clamped onto the midpipe.
tX3SedU.jpg

After I got the angles right, I cut the flex pipe to the right length and pulled out my JB Weld. Slid a connector into the glasspack and the flex pipe - welded them together and used some exhaust strap to tie the glasspack onto the "exhaust plate thingy" in the middle of the back of the subframe.
1F0SIxg.jpg

Then I made two small brackets to attach the license plate hanger to - Mine had a tail tidy or something similar when I bought her, so I just took the arms off of it and bolted the plate hanger/light to the bracket.

Tied everything together and
J1YIGXM.jpg

That's right. Clean. Well, the bike needs to be washed, but that back end is clean in the other sense of the word.

Took a video - but the audio didn't come out well, also I think video of an idling bike isn't much fun, so later tonight/tomorrow I'll take a few videos of it at load and show you. I'm pleased with the sound. It doesn't have quite as much bubbly/rumbly deep tones as a 2bros, but it sounds good to me, cleaned up the back end, and cost me around 35 dollars to do.

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
So glad I didn't buy Rizomas!

cause I just melted the piss out of my cheapo LED rear signals. Turns out that a metal license plate holder gets really hot when it has exhaust gas pointed right at it.

Anyway, made do with my integrated taillight signals, need a bit more heat shielding above/around the muffler, but besides that, I'm very pleased.

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
Will you take some more pics of the back of the bike/exhaust? its very stealthy in that pic :thumbup:

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry for the delays guys - I've been MIA for a while.

Anyone trying to do this, wait a couple minutes before you fry the a$s end of your bike like I did. :eek:

Anyway - all of that's solved - but if you do this, be sure to lay some fiberglass between the outlet of the pipe and the underseat/taillight area, otherwise you'll burn everything with the hot gasses since they are pointed directly at squishy things.
My license plate did a good job of deflecting the gasses, until it decided to rattle the (unlocktited) bolts loose and fly off down the road. I retrieved it and put it in my bag for the remainder of my commute to and back home from work, and when I returned home, I'd almost melted through my taillight housing (a motodynamics integrated one, so I would have been pretty pissed at myself).

I got some new bolts, grabbed my locktite, and pulled out my fiberglass and resin. Added a bunch of hardener to the resin and made up a shield to go above the exhaust, under the back end of the seat and underside of the taillight, deflecting heat away. Layed out 2 sheets of glass, glopped resin on them and waited for them to get tacky, then I stuck them up, wired them in place and kept prodding them until they were where I wanted them. Attached the plate again, locktite on all of the bolts, spraypainted the glass a flat black and we're good to go. I am about to drill some tiny holes in the glass so I can fit a couple of LEDs in right above the plate to serve as a license plate light - should be useful and more legal than I am now.

I'll post some pictures later - also thinking about relocating my fried turn signals to the swingarm or passenger foot pegs.

Pope Mobile

Von Skump
Reaction score
Visit site
So you used standard JB Weld to connect everything? I've used it on a crank case before without issue and was considering using it for muffler/exhaust work.
Where did you buy your parts from?

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
So you used standard JB Weld to connect everything? I've used it on a crank case before without issue and was considering using it for muffler/exhaust work.
Where did you buy your parts from?

I used an exhaust clamp to connect the flex tube to the midpipe and then I used JB to connect the glasspack onto the flex tube. Works fine, JB is really strong, and there really aren't any forces exerted on that joint, besides heat.

EDIT: Yeah, just the standard stuff

Pope Mobile

Von Skump
Reaction score
Visit site
That is awesome and makes me want to try it at some point. Had the exhaust and mid-pipe off my bike the other week and the sound was amazing.
I'll probably try and keep the standard exhaust shrowd or even give go for a sidemount, though.