Do You Like To Ride With Others?

Do you like riding with other riders?

• I'll ride anytime,anywhere with anybody.

Votes: 15 51.7%
  • Sometimes, if it's a planed ride with people I know.

Votes: 13 44.8%
  • Only with people with sport bikes.

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Never, other riders cramp my style.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
S

sportrider

I like riding with others if I trust them. Shawn (poorwboy) & I have ridden together for years be it on motocrossers or sportbikes. I like riding with him, I can predict what he's going to do and know if were running a fast pace he won't plow me on corner entries even if were only a bike length apart! riding with someone like that is FUN you know they will hold there line in a corner if you want to make a pass, and if they pass you, you know it will be clean and they won't crowd you. on the other side of the coin I've ridden with guys who feel they have some point to make, there lines are sloppy, passes are reckless and I feel at any minute they are going to go down ( most the time they do!!!) riding with people like that is very stressful, taking most of the fun out of it.

so I guess to answer the question I'd say sometimes if the company's "wright"( subliminal message) otherwise I ride solo! :Sport:

Last edited by a moderator:
W

wrightme43

I have got to ride with a few people I trust. Most of the people I have rode with make me want to drop back and disappear. My first group ride was with harley riders and I really just dont know how to explain what that was like. My brain hurts right now thinking about it.

fz6xlr8r

Reaction score
Visit site
I've ridden for years with my old man and we've always had a pretty good time doing so. Since we've always had identical or similar style bikes in the past we were able to ride at a similar pace making the rides very easy to enjoy. Now that our bikes are extremely different, (He now having a 1800cc VTX and the FZ6, of course, as mine) riding together has almost become an exercise in futility for both of us. Over this weekend we put about 250 miles on the bikes just riding around together with no particular place to go. Some of the roads we rode were very difficult for the VTX to navigate even at half of the speed the FZ6 could handle them without even breathing hard. On the interstate the VTX shines with it's big bore V-Twin, relaxed riding position and soft ride which pleases my old man fine but interstate riding bores me to death.( I guess my old man is gitting soft in his old age but he still rides so I can't complain.) The way I look at it is, when you ride with other people you must be willing to compromise some things to be able to have camaraderie with other riders.( God knows others have compromised for me. LOL) I know safety,experience,ability and trust play very much into how well a ride may go. I hope the ones who do like to ride with others have these things like I do with my dear old(and now a little slower) dad.:thumbup:

gmickey2001

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am supposed to ride on Saturday with 3 others: a motocycle motorhome (goldwing), a yamaha cruiser, and a Ducati 749.

I am not expecting too much because the other three are riding 2-up.

We'll see. We are hitting a burger joing on the coast west of Lompoc called Jalama beach. So there should at least be a good lunch involved.

My real fear is that mom&pop on the goldwing will set the cruise control at 55 mph on the 101. That would make for a very monotonous haul. :banghead:

pedwards89

Reaction score
Visit site
Being a 'born again biker' I'm learning the art of motorcycling all over again. So, I tend to ride alone, just pottering about learning my limits & that of the bike. I can't wait until I feel I'm competent enough to go for a ride out with the boys though. Might be a while yet though.

boliviasi

Reaction score
Visit site
i ride my brother all the time or with people thats i know. last time we rode with randon people, one of them hit my brothers r1 and almost kill him, the bike was in the shop for over 5 weeks geting fix total damage was 6500$. 06 r1 with 600 milles
0506071910c.jpg

Last edited:
S

sportrider

that sucks!!! I would have been so pissed off if that was my bike!!!
I take it everything is ok in the end? thats a picture perfect reason to ditch the squids!!!

Rockhound

Stroked89Stanger
Reaction score
Visit site
I will ride with new people if they aren't completely nucking futz, but generally i have always loved riding with my dad the best. We always make sure the other is safe, and it make the riding far more enjoyable (offroad neways, I cannot wait to cruise on public roads with him).

since i am new can someone tell what exactly a squid is? I am guessing something like a "hooligan."

I know i know....Fing new guys

S

sportrider

since i am new can someone tell what exactly a squid is?
the term "Squid" was originally coined on the race track at a track day. some experienced rider was commenting on the new riders say they move "squid like" on the track implying the go really fast come to a complete stop, turn, then go fast again. on the street most people call a squid someone riding way over their head, usually not wearing any gear or even riding in shorts and a tank top normally in sandals. I like the acronym "s.q.u.i.d." S.tupidly Q.uick U.nderdressed I.mmenintly D.ead
I hope that answers your question.:thumbup: :Sport:

Rob_the_tyrant

Reaction score
Visit site
only when the people I'm riding with aren't jack-offs. I hate riding with show offs who wheelie every 60 ft or so cause when they go down in the front of the pack it dominos to the people in the back and they all fall down.

thanaton23

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been out riding with a few people i know but they were all so bloody slow it did my head in, last time i had to go round every island three times so they could catch up! It's not that i ride like a loony either, i go at a decent pace and press on when i can but seriously these guys were all real wusses, i'm suprised they didn't have their feet down on every bend although maybe they did, i wouldn't have known cuz i was always 2-3 miles down the road! I prefer to go out on my own most of the time, at my own pace. I find riding in large groups quite tedious and frustrating.

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
seriously these guys were all real wusses

A club that i am looking at joining has a few rules that I really liked. Rule 1 is "RIDE YOUR RIDE". Simply stated it means ride at your own pace and don't be pressured by others to ride beyond your skill level. The fact that they were lagging behind tells me that they were riding their ride! Good for them!

poorwboy

Reaction score
Visit site
I like riding with others if I trust them. Shawn (poorwboy) & I have ridden together for years be it on motocrossers or sportbikes. I like riding with him, I can predict what he's going to do and know if were running a fast pace he won't plow me on corner entries even if were only a bike length apart! riding with someone like that is FUN you know they will hold there line in a corner if you want to make a pass, and if they pass you, you know it will be clean and they won't crowd you. on the other side of the coin I've ridden with guys who feel they have some point to make, there lines are sloppy, passes are reckless and I feel at any minute they are going to go down ( most the time they do!!!) riding with people like that is very stressful, taking most of the fun out of it.

so I guess to answer the question I'd say sometimes if the company's "wright"( subliminal message) otherwise I ride solo! :Sport:

^^^^^^^^ I agree with you. Riding by your self isnt as fun, but riding with some is suicide. I have to say riding with danny I dont worry about him going down for something stupid, I can relax and ride. Danny,s probably my favorite guy to ride with, WE HAVE HAD SOME GOOD TIMES ON AND OFF ROAD!:thumbup:

thanaton23

Reaction score
Visit site
seriously these guys were all real wusses

A club that i am looking at joining has a few rules that I really liked. Rule 1 is "RIDE YOUR RIDE". Simply stated it means ride at your own pace and don't be pressured by others to ride beyond your skill level. The fact that they were lagging behind tells me that they were riding their ride! Good for them!

Yes, i'm all for that. As i say i don't go at it like a loony, i overtake in safe places and where there's room for those following to do the same but they can only do that if they are there and ready. I know some people suffer from the "lemming" effect where they just follow someone round a car without looking themselves but these guys are the opposite! You give em plenty of opportunities and make it obvious you're going to overtake and where are they? About half a mile behind you! If i'm following someone and i can see they're going to overtake i prepare myself to do the same and go when i have the opportunity.

It's not just that though, i appreciate what you say about riding your own ride and i agree that people should not push beyond their limits just to keep up but then there's some folks who do just ride painfully slowly. i mean, this guy had a GSXR600 but he may aswell have been out on a 125!

Anyway, i won't be riding with him again.......

gmickey2001

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am supposed to ride on Saturday with 3 others: a motocycle motorhome (goldwing), a yamaha cruiser, and a Ducati 749.

I am not expecting too much because the other three are riding 2-up.

We'll see. We are hitting a burger joing on the coast west of Lompoc called Jalama beach. So there should at least be a good lunch involved.

My real fear is that mom&pop on the goldwing will set the cruise control at 55 mph on the 101. That would make for a very monotonous haul. :banghead:

The ride was a great success! :thumbup:

The goldwing surprised me many times, passing cars on the 2 lane lane highway at speeds in excess of 90 mph.

In addition, they knew the roads, and waved me and the Ducati ahead before we entered the extreme curves in the mountain sections, so we could maximize our fun. (Chicken strip has been whittled down to a frightening size!)

Oh and the cruiser was a Honda 1800 not a Yamaha.

S

sportrider

good times!!! from the pics it looks like you had fun!! hows the FZ6 hold up with the DUC?