Switching back to stock signals...

BenH

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

I just bought a used 2006 fz6. The previous owner had installed some customizations including low-profile, but useless, mirrors and flush mount front turn signals. I decided to re-install the factory mirrors, but noticed that the custom mirrors have led turn signals in them. So, I also had to unwire them. While I was at it, I went ahead and reinstalled the factory turn signals on the front. Unfortunately, when I was testing out the first signal, I accidentally touched two of the bare wires and now none of the turn signals work. I tried swapping around fuses to rule out a blown fuse. I also tried a new turn signal relay. Neither seems to be the issue. Anybody know how I can go about diagnosing what is wrong?

Thanks,
Ben

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Check your fuses again. Get a batch of new ones from your local parts store and replace the signal fuse with a brand new fuse. I can't fathom it being anything but a blown fuse.

BenH

Reaction score
Visit site
Check your fuses again. Get a batch of new ones from your local parts store and replace the signal fuse with a brand new fuse. I can't fathom it being anything but a blown fuse.
Thanks Ohendo. I'll give that a try. I have a couple of other questions...

1) If one of the turn signals is wired incorrectly, would that prevent all of them from working?

2) The way I have it wired currently is that the front signals are the original (non-LED) signals and the back signals are integrated into an aftermarket LED taillight. Is it OK to have a mix of LED and incandescent signals?

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Ohendo. I'll give that a try. I have a couple of other questions...

1) If one of the turn signals is wired incorrectly, would that prevent all of them from working?
If you wired the turn signals incorrectly, you could've created a short circuit, which will blow the fuse. If so, none of your turn signals will work.

2) The way I have it wired currently is that the front signals are the original (non-LED) signals and the back signals are integrated into an aftermarket LED taillight. Is it OK to have a mix of LED and incandescent signals?
Yes; It is OK to have a mix of LED and normal turn signals. The only thing you will need to do, is have resistors to get the blinking speed back to normal, or to get a LED flasher relay. Since the bike already had the LED taillight, I assume it will have a LED relay or appropriate resistors for the rear signals.

Grtz,

Degake

why_not_Zoidberg?

Reaction score
Visit site
Don't forget the fuse might be in the second, smaller fuse block on the same side (I think) as the big one. Not all the fuses are in one location. That threw me for a little bit when mine weren't working. They might be the headlight fuses though, I don't remember which was for what, both were giving me issues at the time.

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't forget the fuse might be in the second, smaller fuse block on the same side (I think) as the big one. Not all the fuses are in one location. That threw me for a little bit when mine weren't working. They might be the headlight fuses though, I don't remember which was for what, both were giving me issues at the time.

The fuse for the indicators is situated in the sidepods (throttle (right) side, if I'm correct).
Fuse #2 is the one you'll need to look at.

Grtz,

Degake

Last edited by a moderator:

BenH

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the info, but I'm only aware of two fuse boxes: the main, which is under the gas tank, and the other one, which is on the brake side of the bike under the rear side plastic cover.

BenH

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the info, but I'm only aware of two fuse boxes: the main, which is under the gas tank, and the other one, which is on the brake side of the bike under the rear side plastic cover.
Another question for you. To rule out bad wiring on the front turn signals, I was thinking about disconnecting them and doing some experiments to see if I can get just the back ones to work. Is this a good approach? Or, will the disconnected front signals prevent the back ones from working?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
^^
I would attempt to isolate them. Does the rear section work at all?
On a faired bike you can undo the main harness under the left side handlebar. Your rear turns signals should work then. Also, you could unplug the back to isolate the front. You have an DMM or test lamp?

Make sure you have power on (key on) on both sides of the fuses top. You should have power to ONE side of the Flasher relay. After that; I need to look at the schematic and see.

For reference:
LS
picture.php

RS
picture.php

Connector, LF of fairing:
picture.php

soupflakes

Reaction score
Visit site
Just saying, Rizoma LED turn signals are UNREAL bright. I just put some on my bike, and everyone keeps asking how I got LED's that bright, and I blow their minds saying it's just one LED in each light. Lol. They're a bit expensive, but you get what you pay for.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Check to see if you have tail/running lights when you turn the key on. One fuse supplies the tail/running lights and the directional signal circuit. If you where working in the front and grounded the running light circuit (blue wires) you may have blown the fuse. It may not be the directional circuit that is shorted and blowing the fuse. :)

BenH

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Motogiro, you were correct. I didn't even notice that the tail lights were out. I pulled the tail fuse and, sure enough, it was blown. I can't thank you enough!

The cool thing is that all the soldering and wiring I did without being able to test turned out perfectly! I'm back in business.

-Ben