Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

Anyone has experience with this?

Waterproof Female USB Interface 12V to 5V DC Converter Regulator 15W 3A | eBay

Planning to install one for an upcoming long trip. Will put it behind a fuse and switch then leave the USB port under the seat to charge stuff.

Looks like a nice unit. 3 amps of current rating sounds decent to charge your phone and run your GPS. I wouldn't use it for a cup warmer. Put an inline 5 amp fuse and you should be good! :) Heck! Get 2 and use a 10 amp inline fuse and wire them parallel! :rockon:

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
Just placed the order on eBay. I haven't seen anyone who tried this unit before. Will let you guys know how it works out.

I was kidding about the usb coffee mug :rolleyes: Even though USB devices should conform to specs of 1.8amps , many products out there go over spec - most recent smartphone, tablets and probably usb coffee mugs.

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
With that you could outfit your bike with an arsenal of foam weaponry. I'm planning on sticking this on the front fender and have a bag of tirespikes dangling off of the rear.

0087288800055_215X215.jpg

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
:blowkiss: ohhhh! with a fire button on the handle bar... there will be nothing to envy Batman.

With that you could outfit your bike with an arsenal of foam weaponry. I'm planning on sticking this on the front fender and have a bag of tirespikes dangling off of the rear.

0087288800055_215X215.jpg

edgeofnj

Reaction score
Visit site
i got one last year that was very similar - actually, probably the same OEM, just different seller (or more likely seller created new account). mine was called "Car Led Display USB Power Supply 12V To 5V 3A Car Power" for $4.69 shipped from hong kong. the one i received puts out over 3 amps, so it didn't play nice with an inductive charger that i planned on using, which only worked with 1 amp sources (i've read that devices should only draw what it needs, but the only way i was able to get that inductive charger to work was with 1 amp adapters) so i had to use a 12v port (cigarette lighter) and an adapter. since then, i've switched phones, re-installed the device and it seems to be charging fine.

cmantis

Reaction score
Visit site
I was actually looking into this same thing last night. I have an SAE plug on my battery for my trickle charger and they sell an adapter cable that is SAE->USB so I can just use it when needed and no need to run another wire.

Se7enLC

Nerd
Reaction score
Visit site
I have pretty much that exact thing installed on my bike. Works great! the port isn't waterproof, of course, so I just stuck a microUSB cable in and electrical taped around it. I figure if the cable wears out it's easy to replace.

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
I did the install today. The thing works as advertised :thumbup:

My setup is fairly simple. Battery > fuse > switch > connection box > 12v USB converter AND my LED lights I have installed. I thought of putting them on the same circuit to avoid duplicating fuse etc and make it harder to leave it on by mistake.

The usb port comes out under the seat so it is protected from the weather and I have my switch fixed on the plastic bit under the seat, which is otherwise useless. There are two buttons in the picture. The blue one is the garage opener. One button is and on/off, the other one is on only when pressed.

Sorry for the crappy pictures. Phone pics in low light...

View attachment 48647View attachment 48648

I also bought this little thing on eBay for $2.71 shipped :p Flashlight that can be charged by USB. Flash light always useful and it's small and rechargeable anywhere.

View attachment 48649