Took a police motorcycle training skill course

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Took a Precision Riding Clinic here in Boise this past weekend. 16 hours of riding in two days. As an every day rider for the past six years, I was shocked that my arms were so sore, especially my left hand since it was just non stop clutching. It was taught by a motorpatrol officer along with two other instructors. A few people dropped their bikes, and one self elimanated themself. The drills were similar to most motor patrol training athough the spacing of the cones were spread out a farther apart to accomodate all types of bikes. Also practiced doing 40 mph quick stops and even practiced group riding, transitioning from single file, to staggard to two abreast. And group parking and pulling out. There is a system believe it or not, your group can either look like pros or look like a circus.

The Flying W, three consecutive u turns. I try to challenge myself by making the tightest turns and not utilizing the entire real estate.

Snowman, pictured at this time there were only two circles, but they added a 3rd later, the diameter of each circle decreased by one foot. You enter the first circle, do one and a half circle and exit into the next circle going in the opposite direction and do another one and a half circle and enter the final circle and complete your last circles.

They keep incorportating new drills, like the Cloverleaf, not pictured and others and eventually they will have you do all of them in succession, and depending how fast you go, it could take you over a minute to complete them, and you just keep doing them, over and over again without stopping. It was like motorcycle boot camp. We also played follow the leader a lot, following the rider in front of you in a tight formation as we went through some of the drills. But at the end of the day, I left as a better rider leaving the class than when I arrived.

Last edited:

boarder4life81

Reaction score
Visit site
I would love to do one of these classes, but I'm afraid of damaging my bike. As a daily rider, every day down is a dollar less (after taxes of course).:BLAA:

Last edited by a moderator:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Being in Eugene, it is possible to come out and take the class here in Idaho. It's offered about twice a year and it's under the state sponsored motorcycle training program called Idaho Star. They did offer each rider some foam to be used to protect the bike from spills, but nobody took up on their offer. A guy on a Gold Wing quit because he kept dropping his bike and didn't want to damage his bike anymore. If you're on an FZ, piece of cake! Their was another guy on a Honda F3 I think or was it a CBR? I was very impressed with his skills as well.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You do learn alot at the advanced class. You look good BTW..

When I took it (never took the first course) it was on a full dressed cop HD with of course, crash bars. Being the advanced course, they kept things very tight. If you weren't at full wheel lock and dragging the frame (tearing up the asphault), you'd take out a cone. Needless to say, the crash bars got used often and I learned how to pick that beast up alone, very quickly.

At the end of the day, nailed it and learned slow speed control using steady throttle and the rear brake to actually adjust your speed.

On that tight a course, I don't think I'd take the FZ6 as one spill, well you know.. The course you were on, great way to tone your skills..

BTW, did you do the "Iron cross" (pretty much three tight circles, in the order of a cross going from one tight circle to another)?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Being in Eugene, it is possible to come out and take the class here in Idaho. It's offered about twice a year and it's under the state sponsored motorcycle training program called Idaho Star. They did offer each rider some foam to be used to protect the bike from spills, but nobody took up on their offer. A guy on a Gold Wing quit because he kept dropping his bike and didn't want to damage his bike anymore. If you're on an FZ, piece of cake! Their was another guy on a Honda F3 I think or was it a CBR? I was very impressed with his skills as well.

Re the Goldwing, what we did was plastic tie some slit(lenthwise), rubber heater hose around the crash bars, keeps the chrome from getting tore up. I'd rather take that wing only because if you tip over, the crash bars prevent any damage (short of the crash bars being scuffed up).

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Amazing! I'd love and be scared to death of this kind of course, I still want to take a basic riding course (I know I know, 3 years and no MSF course...) but when I eventually do an advanced class I'd probably take my Ninja 250 first before trying it on my FZ...I've had the FZ for two days now and still have a lot of adjusting to do to it.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Amazing! I'd love and be scared to death of this kind of course, I still want to take a basic riding course (I know I know, 3 years and no MSF course...) but when I eventually do an advanced class I'd probably take my Ninja 250 first before trying it on my FZ...I've had the FZ for two days now and still have a lot of adjusting to do to it.

They start you on a wide course and over time, tighten it up as you learn.

And yes, when you first see the course, your, NO way will I be able to do this, but you do.

We were all on cop, fully dressed, HD's as it was an advanced course (I never took the basic course) so tipping over really wasn't an issue, just zip tie some split garden hose on your crash bars. You learn (several times for me) how to easily pick up a big bike, alone, very easily actually.

With the cop HD bikes, the ONLY way to make the tightest stuff (iron cross, etc) was to literally FULL LOCK on the handlebars, and dragging your foot assemblies (lowest part of the frame) on the pavement. If you didn't get that tight, you'd knock down cones.. At the end of the day, zipping right thru the hardest tightest stuff.

When we were done, there were so many circles ground into the parking lot with different designs.

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice head turns :rockon:. Looks like fun. Police motorcycle training is one of the most difficult programs. This is further proof that you can never stop learning. Any class, MSF dirtbike, American Supercamp, a trackday or whatever just gives you more tools for the ole tool box that may just come in handy some day.

Thanks for sharing!!:thumbup:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As a result of this class, it led me to participate in this event. I excelled so well, I even had one of the police motors enter the course with me, conducting the precision skills together, which they usually do with themselves but not with the general public. Too bad it wasn't on film or had any pictures. He even activated his lights.

This was a tighter set up than the class that I took.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/usa-pacific/49593-chills-thrills-police-motorbike-event.html

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice head turns :rockon:. Looks like fun. Police motorcycle training is one of the most difficult programs. This is further proof that you can never stop learning. Any class, MSF dirtbike, American Supercamp, a trackday or whatever just gives you more tools for the ole tool box that may just come in handy some day.

Thanks for sharing!!:thumbup:

The head turning, as you noted, is SO critical, especially in these exercises.

It should really be used in everyday riding too. The bike is going to go where your eyes are looking. :thumbup:

Verharen

~ Wild Child ~
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

It should really be used in everyday riding too. The bike is going to go where your eyes are looking. :thumbup:

Am I the only one who learned this lesson the hard way at the very beginning? Don't look at the ground right next to you and think "boy, I hope I don't fall over." :eek: Or "Don't cross the double yellow right there" and my favorite "watch that car's bumper, don't want to hit it." :spank:

The good news is that I missed the bumper. But the other two are why I went back and took the MSF course again shortly after getting my gixxer. A 7 year break in riding and I had lost a lot of skills, not to mention the difference between a 250 Honda Rebel and a GSXR600!

I guess when it comes to motorcycles the saying isn't "Live and Learn" but instead "Learn and Live." ;)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Am I the only one who learned this lesson the hard way at the very beginning? Don't look at the ground right next to you and think "boy, I hope I don't fall over." :eek: Or "Don't cross the double yellow right there" and my favorite "watch that car's bumper, don't want to hit it." :spank:

The good news is that I missed the bumper. But the other two are why I went back and took the MSF course again shortly after getting my gixxer. A 7 year break in riding and I had lost a lot of skills, not to mention the difference between a 250 Honda Rebel and a GSXR600!

I guess when it comes to motorcycles the saying isn't "Live and Learn" but instead "Learn and Live." ;)

Don't feel bad, I learned that after literally decades of street riding (since 1977).

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site

If you ever have an opportunity to take Danny Walker's American Superbike Camp, do it. A strong emphasis is put on turning your head. If you don't do it in his class, he wacks you over the back with a bamboo stick when you go by. You learn quickly. ;)