New Conti Road Attacks on Friday

PrayHarder

Keep on driving !
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am buying new Conti Road Attacks on Friday, I have heard very good things about them. I have BT020's on right now, I assume that they came new from the factory on it. The bike had 3400 miles on it when I bought it, and it already had a flat spot on the rear tire.

Has anyone else had BT020's from the factory? or is my bike the only one?

Also, does anyone have an knowledge about the Road Attacks that they would like to share ?

Ben

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Bridgestone Battleaxe BT020. I've got 5200 miles as of yesterday on my '07 and they haven't flat spotted yet.

Sorry I don't have any knowledge about the road attacks, but will be looking forward to your review after you get them!

segue00

Burrrppppp, aaaaaahhhh
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The Conti Road Attack is much better than the stock BT020.
You will immediately notice a quicker turn in and better grip at first and will seem that you are riding higher.

The Conti Road Attack is great if not the best single compound replacement tire for commuting in terms of balanced grip/wear and ride combination.

H

HavBlue

Yup, been running Road Attacks for the past 4,000 miles and they hardly look warn at all. They are a very forgiving tire and grip like crazy even when things get a bit touchy with the marbles and such around here. I've been extremely pleased with them and they are far superior to the D252 SportMax that came on the bike. They warm up quick. There is a flat radius turn about 3/4 mile from my property. Taking that turn in the cage at 50 is a chore. Starting the bike cold and only running it to the turn with some back and forth warm up on the way I hit that turn at 70mph and the bike is flat dug in the turn no problem at all. To me this is one of the best all around tires i have ever owned and the price makes them even better as I only paid like $219 to my door... Here is a very good review that I totally agree with.

.: Continental Road Attack | Review | Canyon Chasers Motorcycle Sport Touring :.

Good luck and let us know how you like them...

Charlie

Gigot2000

L'Bon Dieu Amen
Reaction score
Visit site
BT020 were installed when I bought my bike last year. I even had the idea to buy 'em for the next change of set, but I didn't really look at other products at that time. I had plenty of time to read this winter (like many of us I'm sure :) ), and specially on the "tire subject". Many many good comments about the RA. Seems worth it so I change for those Road attack. Well, I don't know if it's because I'm still in my learning curve (1 year now), but I feel now really confident with those tires. From turns, braking, fast turns, fast braking (!!!), everything seems to have improved. They were good under the rain too the other day (road and highway during 5 hours). Only complaint was on a highway entrance ramp, rainy and with a patch of sand. That was kinda scary, but it would have been with any tires or any cage for sure.
I did 15000km with my first set of BT020. I hope it will be the same for these RA. But, just for the handling, it adds 5000km extra points! ;)
You did a really good choice, and like Havblue said, tell us what you think.

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
I am buying new Conti Road Attacks on Friday, I have heard very good things about them. I have BT020's on right now, I assume that they came new from the factory on it. The bike had 3400 miles on it when I bought it, and it already had a flat spot on the rear tire.

Has anyone else had BT020's from the factory? or is my bike the only one?

Also, does anyone have an knowledge about the Road Attacks that they would like to share ?

Ben

You are going to LOVE the new tyres!!! I did exactly this a few months ago and I love these conti road attacks...they are in a class of their own compared to those horrible BT020's!!!!

You wont regret the purchase, just when you get out on them first get used to the difference in lean and turning ability (scrub them in for about 100km or is it miles first before going mad on them).

mglowe

Reaction score
mglowe.public.iastate.edu
...I love these conti road attacks...they are in a class of their own compared to those horrible BT020's!!!!

I don't find the factory BT020's all that bad. :don'tknow: Certainly, like all tires, they have good and bad characteristics but nothing IMO to warrant "horrible".

I've heard good things about the Conti. Let us know how they hold up with some mileage on them.

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
BT020 were OEM on my bike too. Really hard compound. Thus: high mileage and lower than the std grip. As the Conti is much newer model the grip will probably be far better. As for the mileage I wouldn't expect the same, but still good

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't find the factory BT020's all that bad. :don'tknow: Certainly, like all tires, they have good and bad characteristics but nothing IMO to warrant "horrible".

I've heard good things about the Conti. Let us know how they hold up with some mileage on them.

Not attacking here, but do you ride in hot weather, rain, high winds, snow, ice (maybe all in one trip?)...the stock tyres continuously slipped when leaning and from cold they were unpredictable for me. The conti's are the first tyre I've tried that are safe to ride in all conditions mentioned above. I put about 7000 miles on the stock and 2000 on the conti's now...the conti's are a softer compound and do wear alot faster then the stock tyres but peace of mind is well worth it!! I've never dropped this bike, and I never will with these tyres on board! :)

EDIT: God I sound like such an ass....sorry for the "do you ride" approach...

Tough day/week/month so i'm on edge!! Apologies.

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I replaced my stock BT020's for BT020's, they are a great tyre. I have had one front end slip chasing a ZX6. I plan on having a go with the pilot powers next time around.
When you all say "Conti" is that continental?

Nelly

mglowe

Reaction score
mglowe.public.iastate.edu
No Apologies needed - I didn't take it that way.

I too have experienced some of the issues you brought up - especially the cold weather slipping. When it first happen to me, felt it slip, and new right then and there these tires do not like the cold.

Locally we have nothing but flat, straight highways. Sometimes an occasional twisty but I feel BT020's grip comfortably. I found that when BT020's do break loose they gave predictable and recoverable notices.

I do not like the cupping I got on my front tire around 5000 miles, but I see they changed the style on the BT021 design. The back tire lost it's profile [flat] but didn't change much if anything to me on handling. Both seem to get harder and grip less with time.

I was absolutely impressed, compared to Dunlops of the early 80's, with the traction I get in the rain but I'm not aggressive when it's wet. They also have great mileage and wear.

Even with the faults, I feel for a tire and my riding environment/style the BT020's are pretty good. I have over 7000 miles on mine and am ready for a change.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah...:D That's an abbreviation for lazy people like me....
Thanks G,
If I change my mind I dont want to look like a twat asking fot the wrong thing.
Can you or anyone post a picture of the profile for me.

Nelly