swap uk to european headlight

zino

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys,

I have recently moved from UK to Switzerland with my fz6 s2 fazer 2009. To register and MOT it here i need to change my headlight to euro standard.
I have ordered the headlight unit from yamaha without any cables etc. because as i understood from different posts i can use the cables, lightbulbs from the old set up and just exchange the headlight unit and swap the position of lightbulbs left to right and so on.
Has anyone had a first hand experience with swapping uk to euro headlight and could help out with some tips and what else would i possibly need or maybe some sort of a diagram. I§m quite handy with the spanner but electrics not so much, so if i need to do any flicking with wiring i would probably need help 'for dummies style' my plan is to do the work on saturday so just want to make sure that my headlight unit will be enough to do the job or do i need anything else.
Any help, advice really appreciated !

cheers

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi there Zino first off :welcome: to the forum :thumbup:

Your question has come up in the past for example here

it seems like the only options are:
1. buy new/second hand lights (Davy picked up some cheap ones second hand).
2.Install HIDS with projectors (as these don't use the reflectors in the headlights).
3. Tape off the edges of the lights that will shine onto the other side of the road (but this will reduce light output to a degree).

Let us know what you do and don't be a stranger, Looking forward to the pics when you move to Switzerland, with that sort of scenary they might be contenders for the bike of the month :thumbup:

zino

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Cloggy,

Thank you i should ve introduced myself probably before i wrote that thread.
Im in swiss already just sorting my bike now, pics will come as soon as im on the road.

Thank you for your reply as well, but as mentioned i have ordered a unit from yamaha so that is covered (option 1 ) i ve ordered original headlight for eu version. Ive seen the other threads on that but they were lacking details i need. My question was more about installing the damn thing and if i need something more than the headlight unit itself, or can i easily use the cables and lightbulbs that i had for the old unit and simply exchange the headlight. Thats why the question and hope someone that did it first hand can help as i want to exchange it over on saturday ready for MOT next week and want to make sure i have all i need to exchange it. Appreciate all the help

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
sorry zino I didn't read your post properly :spank: ;)

I think it might be worth sending Davey a PM as I know he has changed over to the european headlights.

Good luck with the swap, and let us know how it goes :thumbup:

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
Just out of pure curiosity...

What the heck is the difference between the two? A headlight is a headlight here in the U.S.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just out of pure curiosity...

What the heck is the difference between the two? A headlight is a headlight here in the U.S.

it's to do with the beam pattern, when riding on the left of the road the light shines straight and off to the left, when riding on the right straight and off to the right so as not to blind oncoming traffic. In most european countries there are compulsary road worthyness tests, which also check that the headlight is set up correctly.

CountryBoy

Reaction score
Visit site
In most european countries there are compulsary road worthyness tests, which also check that the headlight is set up correctly.

Hi guys, apologies for reviving ye olde unused thread. But I'm finally getting round to importing my own Fazer to the NL. I got the part codes for the new headlight unit and new headlight cord (5VX-84310-00 and 5VX-84359-00 Respectively if you're curious). But having worked in the industry last year, I know that spares & accessories departments charge through the nose so I'm foraging online.

Cloggy: my question is, do they have APK for bikes in the NL? I know that RDW will check my headlamps are properly set-up, but after that I've been told there isn't.

Happy new year to you all!

CB

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys, apologies for reviving ye olde unused thread. But I'm finally getting round to importing my own Fazer to the NL. I got the part codes for the new headlight unit and new headlight cord (5VX-84310-00 and 5VX-84359-00 Respectively if you're curious). But having worked in the industry last year, I know that spares & accessories departments charge through the nose so I'm foraging online.

Cloggy: my question is, do they have APK for bikes in the NL? I know that RDW will check my headlamps are properly set-up, but after that I've been told there isn't.

Happy new year to you all!

CB

Happy new year .

There is no APK (yearly roadworthyness test) in Holland. The EU tried to introduce it but hasn't succeded as yet :thumbup:

Good luck on finding the parts.

CountryBoy

Reaction score
Visit site
Happy new year .

There is no APK (yearly roadworthyness test) in Holland. The EU tried to introduce it but hasn't succeded as yet :thumbup:

Good luck on finding the parts.

I've had a look online, and original Yamaha parts are prohibitively expensive. (€350, and I need a european headlight connector €150). Not much going second hand on the bay at the moment. So I had another thought. If I modify it to be a Naked, with aftermarket lights facing the "correct" way, would I get away with it for the purpose of the test? Then I can either return it to stock after the inspection, or if it takes my fancy, keep it naked for the summer.

This being said, I'm not entirely sure this would be cheaper than doing the dual HID mod though.

Thoughts?

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had a look online, and original Yamaha parts are prohibitively expensive. (€350, and I need a european headlight connector €150). Not much going second hand on the bay at the moment. So I had another thought. If I modify it to be a Naked, with aftermarket lights facing the "correct" way, would I get away with it for the purpose of the test? Then I can either return it to stock after the inspection, or if it takes my fancy, keep it naked for the summer.

This being said, I'm not entirely sure this would be cheaper than doing the dual HID mod though.

Thoughts?

Personally I was originally thinking along the lines of covering parts of your lights to prevent the higher beam blinding other drivers, but after googling I found this document( RDW vehicle requirements for motorbikes) which (on page 11) stipulates "De glazen moeten in goede staat
en niet bespoten, geverfd of bewerkt zijn." which means the lenzes must be in a good condition and NOT coated, painted or modified/changed. Oh well there goes my idea :(
Have you tried looking for second hand lights on fleebay and suchlikes? I think this would be your best option, as a HID modification can be expensive.

Last edited:

CountryBoy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Cloggy,

Thanks for that. I was already under the impression that the stickers were not allowed as they are not "a permanent modification". Thanks for confirming that.

I've got a second hand set coming from Germany off fleebay, I bought them yesterday. Hopefully next week I can get them mounted. All things considered that really is the safest option. Because then I'm importing a "standard" vehicle.

I've had another interesting thought, mine is a non-ABS version, and I believe the S2 version was only ever sold with ABS in NL. That could get interesting for type-approval and insurance. But I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

CB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk