Indicators not working

philz

Reaction score
Visit site
Yesterday all of my indicators stopped working. They don't work when I indicate or use the hazards. Initially I thought it was the fuse so I checked that and it's ok. Then I thought it was the relay so I've replaced that and still nothing.

Weird thing is that they still flash when I arm/disarm the alarm. (which I've now unplugged but indicators still are not working)

Is it likely to be the switch on the handlebars do you think? How can I test if the new relay is working? Any other suggestions?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Philz!

Your directional circuit and running lights are on the same fuse check your tail/license plate light. Is it working? If you've got a short as soon as you put the new fuse in it'll blow right away. If you have a dead short you need to find it. :)

Let us know what you find.

philz

Reaction score
Visit site
I got up this morning, turned the key and tested my indicators. Worked perfectly. Tail light and side light worked too.

Then I set off for work, went to indicate and nothing. No indicators again.

I'm at work now so will test out your suggestions when I get home.

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
It's a pretty small circuit - just the signals and taillight (not brakelight)

I had this issue (resulting from a short in a resistor I had installed for LEDs) and I just worked my way around the bike tracking it down. I got a box of fuses and worked from the back to the front, unplugged the front signals and tried the rear with a new fuse. They worked so I knew my issue had to be up front. Then I went and rewired the front signals one at a time, plugged them in and they worked.

It's a bit frustrating not having the signals work, but if you take an hour and go through your wires, you'll definitely find the answer you're looking for.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
i had this problem a couple of times when my bike got wet, the indicators and rear lights would all stop working. Never figured out exactly what the cause was

philz

Reaction score
Visit site
Got on my bike to come home after work, no indicators/side light/tail light.

Got home, stopped bike, all of the above worked fine. Tried wiggling anything connected with the indicators, everything still worked. Swapped relays again just in case the old one was being temperamental so I'll maybe go for a ride later and see what happens.

philz

Reaction score
Visit site
Just been out on the bike and indicators were fine for the first half hour. Then they seemed to stop working, and just as I was getting home they started working again.

I have noticed that when I switch the indicators on the green dash LED seems to almost bit a bit dim and pause before it starts flashing. It's almost as if it needs to charge up or something.

Anyone got any ides?

DavesFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Check your wires and connections, lawlburg had a good suggestion already. Check if the license plate light works when the indicators are not working. If it goes off too you can probably rule out the switch.

philz

Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure about the license plate (can't check the license plate as the damn indicators are working fine now!) but the front sidelight definitely doesn't work when the indicators aren't working so it's something to do with that circuit.

What I don't understand is how my indicators flash fine when I arm/disarm the alarm even when they're not working normally.

DavesFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
That makes me think that either the directional switch or the wires near the front between that switch and the relay are shorting somewhere since your alarm is activating the lights.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure about the license plate (can't check the license plate as the damn indicators are working fine now!) but the front sidelight definitely doesn't work when the indicators aren't working so it's something to do with that circuit.

What I don't understand is how my indicators flash fine when I arm/disarm the alarm even when they're not working normally.

As I mentioned before, your tail light/running lights and flasher/directional circuit are on the same fuse. If your directional lights are working then your tail light should be lit. I'll assume the front sidelights you're talking about are your front running lights. If they are lit your tail light should be lit because they are all on the running light circuit. If your directional signals are failing check to see if you have any running lights.
I suspect that if your alarm system continues to flash your directional indicators even though the flasher circuit has failed, it is a positive indication that the tail/running light circuit is failing to provide power from that fuse onward. Your alarm system is providing power from it's own circuit.
Check the fuse, fuse block and associated plugs in that pod. You're experiencing an intermittent open circuit where the power is being interrupted. I could very well be a pin in a plug that has gone bad.
This is not a short. A short is where the power in a circuit is being pathed to ground and continually blows fuses. :)

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It's a pretty small circuit - just the signals and taillight (not brakelight)

I had this issue (resulting from a short in a resistor I had installed for LEDs) and I just worked my way around the bike tracking it down. I got a box of fuses and worked from the back to the front, unplugged the front signals and tried the rear with a new fuse. They worked so I knew my issue had to be up front. Then I went and rewired the front signals one at a time, plugged them in and they worked.

It's a bit frustrating not having the signals work, but if you take an hour and go through your wires, you'll definitely find the answer you're looking for.

That is one way to track down a problem but if you keep replacing fuses to track down a short you can end up with damage to wiring and plugs. A safer way might be to leave the blown fuse out of circuit and use a common, low current, test light. You would put it in series where the fuse would be. As long as the short existing the lamp will be light brightly and when the short is found/eliminated the lamp will go out. :)

philz

Reaction score
Visit site
Update.

I've removed the alarm completely but that didn't help.
I've replaced the fuse but that didn't help.
I've replaced the relay but that didn't help.
I've disconnected the plate light (I have an tail tidy which came with an LED plate light) but that didn't help.

I tested for power at the fuse and that seems ok (not sure if I'm testing correctly but I just took out the fuse, put one side of my lamp into the fuse holder and earthed the other side and the light lit up)

Where do I go next?

philz

Reaction score
Visit site
As I mentioned before, your tail light/running lights and flasher/directional circuit are on the same fuse. If your directional lights are working then your tail light should be lit. I'll assume the front sidelights you're talking about are your front running lights. If they are lit your tail light should be lit because they are all on the running light circuit. If your directional signals are failing check to see if you have any running lights.

Just to confirm. Neither the tail light or running lights work either.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Update.

I've removed the alarm completely but that didn't help.
I've replaced the fuse but that didn't help.
I've replaced the relay but that didn't help.
I've disconnected the plate light (I have an tail tidy which came with an LED plate light) but that didn't help.

I tested for power at the fuse and that seems ok (not sure if I'm testing correctly but I just took out the fuse, put one side of my lamp into the fuse holder and earthed the other side and the light lit up)

Where do I go next?

Have you tested the fuse in question? If there is a dead short then every time you put a new fuse in it will blow the new fuse. Testing the fuse socket only tells you you have power to one leg of the fuse but doesn't tell you whether the fuse is good or bad. Take the fuse out , put your ohm meter on 1x resistance and see if the fuse has continuity. Or pull the fuse up enough from it's socket that you can test both sides of the fuse for power. :)

philz

Reaction score
Visit site
The fuse has never blown. It's fine. What happens is that one day I'll get on the bike and the indicators work fine, then 10 mins of riding later they stop working. It's just intermittent which is why it's so annoying.

I don't have a multimeter but I'll see if I can borrow one from sombody.

philz

Reaction score
Visit site
In the end I admitted defeat and took it to an auto electrician. Cost me £50 but it's fixed now, was a broken wire up near the front of the frame which had worn through apparently.