Mixing tyres?

bfc1974

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all, new to this forum. I have issues with the original Dunlop Roadsmart tyres fitted to my XJ6 Diversion. I recently replaced the rear with another Roadsmart & now I need to replace the front which has still got 3mm tread but has some crazing around the tyre either side of the centre section of the tread. I regularly check the pressure & make sure it is 33psi as the book. I would like to fit a different front tyre, has anyone got experience on mixing tyres on the Divi?
Thanks all

Last edited:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all, new to this forum. I have issues with the original Dunlop Roadsmart tyres fitted to my XJ6 Diversion. I recently replaced the rear with another Roadsmart & now I need to replace the front which has still got 3mm tread but has some crazing around the tyre either side of the centre section of the tread. I regularly check the pressure & make sure it is 33psi as the book. I would like to fit a different front tyre, has anyone got experience on mixing tyres on the Divi?
Thanks all

I dont have any experience with mixing tires, but IMO it can be done as a short term fix. It's always best to have a matched set of tires due to the fact that both front and rear are designed to work together. A mixed set will handle differently.

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
The main issues mixing tires arise when you are truly mixing them - eg a bias and a radial. I don't remember which of the two combinations (Bias Rear Radial Front or vise versa) is the dangerous one, but I would simply stay away from any sort of mix like that. Aside from that, you should be fine with two different brands.

There is something to be said for being confident about your tread, when I change my tires, I'll change both, so that I know that I have similar grip and abuse on each of my tires. It gives you a really good feeling.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm currently running a mis-match set and for the most part all is well but this is misleading. The manufacture is discontinuing the BT016 Pro and replacing it with the S20 which are VERY similar tires. I burned the back off and have 50% tread left on the front so the new S20 is on the rear.

The downside: Since the season started I've felt some strangeness which has made me uneasy at times as it felt like the nose pushed out while not being taxed excessively. So its very likely the matched set will be up front soon. And yes, I use the whole tire, not just the center.

For commuting - you'd likely be fine. If you tend to push it, I'd get them matched.

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Until my front wears out, I'm running a Shinko Raven up front and a new Michelin PR2 on the rear. If it's affecting anything, I can't tell. Handles like a dream in corners and straights.

bfc1974

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks to you all for your comments. I think sticking with a matched pair of Roadsmarts is probably the safest bet & then change both next time I need replacements.
Happy riding, & keep rubber side down.
Bfc1974 :thumbup:

chemicalsmile

Reaction score
Visit site
I can't remember ever having a matching set, other than when new. I usually run a sport front and a s/t out back - I try to stick to the same brand a least but sometimes you don't have a choice when you hit cords in the middle of nowhere....which is why I'm running a BT016 out front and a Conti Motion in the rear ATM :D