Hi-Beam Indicator always on

Webs

Reaction score
Visit site
After doing some trial and error testing and internet/forum lurking I've not been able to find a solution, so here goes my inquiry.

I bought Vishnu's VS01 kit and installed it successfully over the winter season, minus one little hiccup.
My hi-beam indicator stays on at all times (when the bike is running).
The headlights properly switch between hi and lo beam, but the hi beam indicator light only dims slightly when switched off (instead of completely off).

I have replaced my flasher relay to fix the quick blink rate, and during that process somehow blew a tail fuse, and now after replacing that everything seems to work fine except for that indicator light.
I haven't had the chance to ride in the dark yet to see if the brightness of the headlight is actually good, but they seem somewhat dim to me.

Any ideas, or if this is even something to worry about? Could it be a bad ground? Any input appreciated! Will upload pictures when I can.:rockon:

TL;DR - Hi beam indicator always on regardless of lo/hi setting, what do?

dev_usc

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
TL;DR - Hi beam indicator always on regardless of lo/hi setting, what do?

can you please try this.. remove the bulb from the headlight and then try flipping the high/low beam and check if the indicator flips
This will atleast rule out the bulb.. then the only possibility as Motogiro mentioned would be a wire with insulation open...

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
can you please try this.. remove the bulb from the headlight and then try flipping the high/low beam and check if the indicator flips
This will atleast rule out the bulb.. then the only possibility as Motogiro mentioned would be a wire with insulation open...

Yup, I'm thinking the ground is swapped for either the high or low beam or the lamp has leakage internally. :)

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It's a toss up because he probably doesn't have a headlamp mod so the low beam is on at all times.
Here's a diagram for proper H4 with the FZ6 wire color codes. :)

Webs

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm about to fiddle with it and see what I can find. I was quite positive that the wiring was configured right but anything can happen. Will update

Webs

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the input, turns out the wiring instructions from Vishnu's PDF are different from the one you just posted. His shows the black/yellow and the black are swapped, which was my problem! Works like a charm now!

After a quick oil swap this weekend she will be back on the road :rockon: