Geometry/Stability question

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
So I'll prepare to be flamed a bit.

I took the very stable FZ6 and changed the geometry, a bit, and I'm wondering if any of the bike wizards out here can shed some light on my questions.

In order to mount my clip ons, I decided to raise my forks about an inch in the triples, clipping them on above the triple tree. This shortened the forks, increasing the rake and decreasing the trail by a little bit.

My understanding is that I have probably done one or both of the following to my bike now. 1 - increased the 'flickability' and responsiveness of the front end. 2 - decreased the stability of the bike.

I've had the bike up a little over 100mph on the highway since the changes and felt no headshake or wobble.
It was a beautiful day today and I took the bike out for a lunchtime ride in what little excuse I have for twisties here. (She goes into the turns great) but coming out of them while on the gas I could feel a little bit of instability (nothing close to a tankslapper). Our roads here aren't great, and I'm sure it was a little bumpy coming out of the corners so that could have affected it.

My main question is - have I gone too far? If so, should I figure out a way to make the clip ons work below the top triple clamp so that I can drop the bars back down?
The second question is with my new geometry, should I invest in a steering damper/stabilizer?