Loose throttle play

SAFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought my 2008 fz 6 about a yr ago. For the longest time I have dealt with an inch of throttle play, because my manual says it should be done at the dealer.
I finally decided to go online and see if I could take care of issue. Bingo, not a big deal, adjustment is under the throttle. Now I have to relearn with new adjustment. Throttle is instantaneous now, almost scary. But it should help with shifting smoother. Thats what I get for procrastinating.

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
Anything dealers do, you can do better. You can do anything better than dealers. Yes you can, no you can't, yes you can, no you can't. Except you can :D.

Glad you got it fixed. An inch of throttle play? I would be going crazy. Mine is set so it's just enough play to keep the idle from rising when the bars are turned lock to lock, but no more.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Anything dealers do, you can do better. You can do anything better than dealers. Yes you can, no you can't, yes you can, no you can't. Except you can :D.

Glad you got it fixed. An inch of throttle play? I would be going crazy. Mine is set so it's just enough play to keep the idle from rising when the bars are turned lock to lock, but no more.

+1 on the above big time!!!

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
I found the benefits of adjusting my throttle today. I didn't have an inch of play, but it may have been at least 1/4". I adjusted it so that the revs drop quickly when I release. Too tight and the revs hang. Shifting is much more natural now, great idea.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think you'll find with the steering fully turned is when the cables get the tightest.

I have mine adjusted so it's just closed at that point (and not pulling)(like outasight20 posted).

One cable pulls, the other pushes(a safety cable). You should be able to adjust both so there's NO binding, even with 1/4 play. there shouldn't be ANY HANGING UP.

BTW, should you run out of adjustment or are near the end at the upper throttle, on the left side, just below the fuel tank and above the frame, you'll see a round part with the TWO throttle cables attached. that round part turns the throttle body butterflys(throttle).

Ones the PULL cable, the other a PUSH cable. There's also adjusters there, (somewhat difficult to get to, but do-able). You can get more adjustment there too as the cables stretch.

I also sent you a PM...

Last edited:

SAFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. I'm hoping to take it out this weekend and test it out more than around the block.
Its one of those things that I didnt like, but you manage to get through.
Now its really odd when I close the throttle.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. I'm hoping to take it out this weekend and test it out more than around the block.
Its one of those things that I didnt like, but you manage to get through.
Now its really odd when I close the throttle.

No problem...

That throttle should snap shut on its own.

If not, do some re-adjusting. If that still doesn't do it, start looking closer for frayed cables, any binding, using a cable lube would also help and is really regular maintainance..

Please post how you make out.. :thumbup:

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Absolutely! A dealer needs to finish your bike and get to the next one in line....all that stuff about paying rent and salaries and insurance and stuff. When you work on your own bike you can take as much time on the task without any other concerns....it is , after all, YOUR rump that is going to pay for any shoddy workmanship.

SAFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Tried out the adjustment today, and it is so much better. Having to adjust to the play was getting annoying. As you can probably tell, gear changing transitions are smoother. Still need to work on that anyhow.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
SAFZ, is it easy to do? don't wanna really stuff it up.

If you can turn a plastic nut, you can adjust it, its that easy (Thats all it actually is).... :thumbup:

If not, bring it to the dealer
:(

NOTE: If you run out of adjustment at the throttle end of the cable, you can tighten up the slack at the other end (by the throttle bodies), a bit more involved but certainly doable...

Here's a link to get your owners manual:

Boneman's FZ6 Site - Mods

Last edited: