Using a 60/55w standard H4 bulb in the VS-2 headlight kit

VeeDubbinJetta91

Reaction score
Visit site
Well i hope this is the right subforum for this question but a little over a year ago i bought and installed the VS-2 kit from vishnu which has been great, i love it, it came with the crappy 35w bulb which was really bad with not much for light output. I later bought and installed an H4 hi/low HID kit but decided with the current setup lighting wasnt really any better, just bluer. So today i decided to stick back in the regular H4 bulb except i used the one from the factory headlight. I noticed after my ride today i felt the lens on the headlight and it was pretty hot, im worried about melting anything but i never felt the lens with the other bulbs. So my question is do any of you run a standard 60/55w H4 bulb in a VS1/2 kit and has it caused you any problems? BTW i am running a relayed setup to allow proper low/high beams

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well i hope this is the right subforum for this question but a little over a year ago i bought and installed the VS-2 kit from vishnu which has been great, i love it, it came with the crappy 35w bulb which was really bad with not much for light output. I later bought and installed an H4 hi/low HID kit but decided with the current setup lighting wasnt really any better, just bluer. So today i decided to stick back in the regular H4 bulb except i used the one from the factory headlight. I noticed after my ride today i felt the lens on the headlight and it was pretty hot, im worried about melting anything but i never felt the lens with the other bulbs. So my question is do any of you run a standard 60/55w H4 bulb in a VS1/2 kit and has it caused you any problems? BTW i am running a relayed setup to allow proper low/high beams

If you're unloading the low beam when the high beam is on it should run cool enough. Are you sure you're not running both filaments at the same time?

VeeDubbinJetta91

Reaction score
Visit site
Ya like I said I've got a relay setup I'm running so I know the low is shutting off when the high comes on and when the low is on its only the low. Maybe the heat is normal I just wanted to make sure before something happened

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ya like I said I've got a relay setup I'm running so I know the low is shutting off when the high comes on and when the low is on its only the low. Maybe the heat is normal I just wanted to make sure before something happened

Yes they do make heat. I guess keep an eye on it. I've never heard anyone have a heat issue unless they were running both filaments at the same time. :)

VeeDubbinJetta91

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the info like I said I never felt the lens before with the other bulbs I ran just happened to feel it tonight after my ride had the headlight assembly off to replace my clutch cable and ignition, I'd really like to run a projector hid setup but currently don't have the funds

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the info like I said I never felt the lens before with the other bulbs I ran just happened to feel it tonight after my ride had the headlight assembly off to replace my clutch cable and ignition, I'd really like to run a projector hid setup but currently don't have the funds

Yup! Who wouldn't like HID projectors!? :p

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Re: Using a 60/55w standard H4 bulb in the VS-2 headlight kit

I'm ordering my HID Projector kit from TRS on Monday, then for the install. I'll put together a guide for HIDs in a VS01/naked setup.

You know I offer the TRS kits cheaper right?

Sent from my Transform Ultra using Tapatalk 2

leexii

Reaction score
Visit site
Since we are on the subject of headlights can anyone tell me where to buy the dual headlight kit for my FZ and is it a simple install. I'm not a very electrical person so it scares the bejebbers out me to event think about doing it.

dev_usc

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

The VS02 naked kit has 35W/35W bulb. So if both High and Low beams are ON at same time the total load is 70W and the headlight is designed to handle 70W.

If you replace it with 65W/65W and you have a relay that makes sure ONLY ONE BEAM is ON at any given time the load will be 65W and it should be okay.

But as Motogiro said keep an eye on the lens every now and then.

VeeDubbinJetta91

Reaction score
Visit site
instead of creating a new thread for a problem i encountered i figured id just update here. So 2 weeks ago when i created this thread i was replacing my clutch cable,installing a new ignition lock cyl and taking out my drop-in h4 hid kit to put the standard halogen h4 in, i had the whole front of the bike off, for the repairs and got it all back together. Anyways now on my cluster when i have the bike running and using my signals the green arrow on the cluster flashes weird. But if the bike is off it works properly. Any ideas? i doubled checked all my wiring and connections and everything seems good. the signals seem to work fine either way. I do have a motodynamics integrated tail lamp with a led flasher relay installed and everything works great before i performed the disassembly. anyways i took some video to show you what i meant

bike running(weird flashing arrows)

bike off(normal arrow)