Signal and Light questions

Jaimeto

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, Im a new and recent fz6 owner (2006 fz6). I bought the bike used from some guy, only has 7000 miles on it. the only thing with the bike is:

1) there is some wierd modulator for my tail light, it makes a wierd and random circle pattern when riding and then blinks when I hit my brakes. On top of that, it isn't the brightest in the world.

2) another thing is, that there seems to be these cheap-o wannabe carbon fiber blinkers in the front and one (the right one) doesn't work. I was also wondering how easy it is to replace those kind of things as well.

3) lastly, my right rear turn signal blinks at a faster speed then my left one (about twice the speed, if that matters), is this due to the previous owner messing with the modulator or something? how can I correct that?

I'm planning on buying one of those ebay integrated lights and an eliminator kit, but I have 0 (ZIP, NADA) experience when it comes to electrical aspects of bikes... hell i even lack mechanical knowledge. So I was wondering if there are any videos, posts, stickies, anything that can give me a CLEAR installation guide. I've done a brisk search here, and there are no youtube videos giving a clean installation. any help is appreciated.

Jaimeto

Reaction score
Visit site
and if I may add something. my turning signal indicator on my dash is only visible at night time (Its wayyyy to dim to see during the day).... I don't want to even know how many times I have been riding around with my turn signal on because it doesnt make a noise signaling that its on and during the day time it is so dim that I can't see it blinking. any suggestions?

chemicalsmile

Reaction score
Visit site
1) This sounds like one of those spinning 1157 bulbs - they spin when in idle mode, flash when brake is applied and they're directional LEDs so not very bright at most angles. You can pop the tail light bulb out pretty easy with the seat off and check. A 2-pack of the normal bulbs is usually around $2 at any gas station although they don't last as long as the Yamaha one.

2) A picture would help - there's a lot of cheapo carbon fiber blinkers out there - most have a stud that goes through the bracket with a nut on the opposite side and are pretty much disposable unless they use incandescent bulbs in which case you might be able to find a replacement.

3.) This is because your front right signal is out - it's the flasher's way of letting you know there's a blinker problem. Once you get the front one fixed, the rate should be the same for both sides.

I've never installed one of the integrated lights but I don't think they're that involved - looks like most will plug into your stock brake socket and splice into your signal lines.

BamBam

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm planning on buying one of those ebay integrated lights and an eliminator kit, but I have 0 (ZIP, NADA) experience when it comes to electrical aspects of bikes... hell i even lack mechanical knowledge. So I was wondering if there are any videos, posts, stickies, anything that can give me a CLEAR installation guide. I've done a brisk search here, and there are no youtube videos giving a clean installation. any help is appreciated.

I wouldn't worry too much about the experience. I know much of what you want to purchase has installation instructions, and any questions you have, take a look at the search function. Many things you mentioned people have already had problems with.

If all else fails just ask around here and someone will be able to assist you. Plus, many of us learned through trial and error. It just takes time.

:welcome: