Need some turn signal help please!

ticktock

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

So I'm just about done with my naked conversion. I picked up some cheap Lockhart Philips short stalk turn signals to be used with my new headlight. They are not LED. They're just simple 2 wire signals with a bulb.

I also bought some Yamaha style turn signal connectors so I could keep my stock wiring harness.

So, I wired up the positive to positive, and ground to ground, terminating the running light wire.

Only problem is, my lights stay on all the time. They flash when I use my signal indicator, but something is fishy because the actual turn signal lamp in the speedo glows when it shouldn't. (See picture.)

I'm thinking something is off with the ground. Do I need to just run 1 wire to the positive of the wiring harness and send the ground on the turn signal somewhere directly to the frame?

Any help is appreciated. I tried every combo of wiring I could think of. Either they were dead, or acted like what I posted above.

Thanks.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

So I'm just about done with my naked conversion. I picked up some cheap Lockhart Philips short stalk turn signals to be used with my new headlight. They are not LED. They're just simple 2 wire signals with a bulb.

I also bought some Yamaha style turn signal connectors so I could keep my stock wiring harness.

So, I wired up the positive to positive, and ground to ground, terminating the running light wire.

Only problem is, my lights stay on all the time. They flash when I use my signal indicator, but something is fishy because the actual turn signal lamp in the speedo glows when it shouldn't. (See picture.)

I'm thinking something is off with the ground. Do I need to just run 1 wire to the positive of the wiring harness and send the ground on the turn signal somewhere directly to the frame?

Any help is appreciated. I tried every combo of wiring I could think of. Either they were dead, or acted like what I posted above.

Thanks.

The black wire is your ground. Your using your turn signal wire as a ground.
Right front turn signal is dark green wire and a black wire.
Left front turn signal is chocolate or brown wire and a black wire.

Terminate the blue wires. They are your running lights. :)

Last edited:

ticktock

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll have to make sure that the Yamaha style connector is inserted right.

Could have sworn I checked everything.

Thanks!!!

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll have to make sure that the Yamaha style connector is inserted right.

Could have sworn I checked everything.

Thanks!!!

Sounds like your ground and signal wire are switched

What moto said is law just assume he. Is right and you will succeed ;(

ticktock

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like your ground and signal wire are switched

What moto said is law just assume he. Is right and you will succeed ;(

I switched them a few times and was stumped. I think the connector just didn't line up properly into the stock socket, so I need to check the actual color of the wires instead of just assuming the + lined up with Yamahas.

Hope to work on it more next week.

ticktock

Reaction score
Visit site
The black wire is your ground. Your using your turn signal wire as a ground.
Right front turn signal is dark green wire and a black wire.
Left front turn signal is chocolate or brown wire and a black wire.

Terminate the blue wires. They are your running lights. :)

You were right again sir. Sincere thanks for helping me out. The stock turn signal harness didn't line up with the aftermarket harness. After I checked the colors of the wire, I pulled the dead lines and everything works perfect now!