Oh no! Display is dark after simple wire change....!

yaminator

roll, roll me away
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi there. Alas, I replaced the wire connector to my neutral switch because it was suspect (green lite always on in every gear). But I had to disconnect the other connectors under the gas tank, to have room and do the change. Re-connected everything and checked it all, but now the insrument cluster has no light nor display and both the red and orange engine and oil lights are always on. Oh no! Bike starts, runs, all fuses are good and the connectors seem to be properly re-connected. When I shut off bike, all the characters briefly appear, like normal. When key is removed, clock appears. Any clues? Really stuck.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Almost sounds like you lost a ground path. Very carefully recheck all your plug pins that you were disconnecting. Before you do this unplug the neutral safety switch wire to see if the readout returns to normal. There should be a screw with at least 1 black wire/s attached to the engine in the area you were working. Check that they are secured to the engine casing.
Please let us know what you find! :)

yaminator

roll, roll me away
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi. Still trying to pinpoint the problem but what you described at least makes sense. The two lights that are always on (engine and oil) kinda flicker dimly with the no-readout, so yeah something seems twisted or incomplete. The connectors in bunches under the tank seem to be fine but I'm still trying to locate a ground attached to the engine near the rear (hopefully loose or off). I would have actually replaced the neutral switch as well, but couldn't reach it even after removing the tank and all the couplers, so I just replaced the wire connector. Anyway thanx for the reply and still on it here....TC

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi. Still trying to pinpoint the problem but what you described at least makes sense. The two lights that are always on (engine and oil) kinda flicker dimly with the no-readout, so yeah something seems twisted or incomplete. The connectors in bunches under the tank seem to be fine but I'm still trying to locate a ground attached to the engine near the rear (hopefully loose or off). I would have actually replaced the neutral switch as well, but couldn't reach it even after removing the tank and all the couplers, so I just replaced the wire connector. Anyway thanx for the reply and still on it here....TC

Hate to tell ya, but without changing out the actual switch, (it grounds out when in neutral and activates the green light) you'll still have the orignal problem.

Part #7 is hopefully what your trying to change out:

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/2004/FZ6+-+FZ600SSC/ELECTRICAL+1/parts.html

Good luck and please post your results..

Last edited:

yaminator

roll, roll me away
Reaction score
Visit site
Yup you were right. Changing just the wire alone did not fix the problem. I wasn't able to go all the way yet and reach the neutral switch to get a wrench around it because I would have had to take off much more stuff than just the gas tank, unlike what the Haynes manual was sayin. I did already get another sensor and in a day or so I should have more time and get it in there. Thanks for the parts link tho. And of course, there is still the grounding/loose ground issue too, but I'll let y'all know. Many thanks to you guys!! She shouldn't be ailing much longer....

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I just looked at my bike.

You should be able to reach in from the LEFT SIDE (shifter side) of the bike, BELOW THE REAR SUBFRAME, just ABOVE THE CHAIN and get a deep socket in there (a wrench will be pretty tight). I just literally reached in there and touched the switch.

If you still can't get to it, its just ahead of the mid pipe cat. Pull the rear wheel off and you shouldn't have any issues getting to it... Going in from the back should be considerably easier than going in from the top...

Finding the other electrical issue will be the fun part and we get to exercise Cliff's gray matter :D

Good luck...

yaminator

roll, roll me away
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow. I went back, checked end re-checked connections, sockets, ground wires, anything I could have touched, and the display is still dark (except for red, orange and neutral lights always on). Bike starts, runs, and clock shows up like always tho when no key inserted. ugh. Any value in trying that self-diagnostic code thing, or is it useless with a dark readout. Is it possible I fried the readout, and if so how? Just hoping for any last chance ideas before the last resort of taking the bike to a $mechanic$. Dreading that. Appreciate the guidance so far no matter what. Thx

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow. I went back, checked end re-checked connections, sockets, ground wires, anything I could have touched, and the display is still dark (except for red, orange and neutral lights always on). Bike starts, runs, and clock shows up like always tho when no key inserted. ugh. Any value in trying that self-diagnostic code thing, or is it useless with a dark readout. Is it possible I fried the readout, and if so how? Just hoping for any last chance ideas before the last resort of taking the bike to a $mechanic$. Dreading that. Appreciate the guidance so far no matter what. Thx

Possibility you toasted something but maybe you can unhook the wire that you hooked up? See if the read out returns to normal. Another idea might be to take
the bike to San Diego. There's a guy I know that's pretty savvy, reads schematics and even has tools to do electrical stuff on your bike. :rolleyes::p

yaminator

roll, roll me away
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll try taking out the new connecting wire between socket and neutral switch. And I meant the bike runs as normal (with key in and on), and the clock appears when bike is off and key out (as normal). I'll give the whole thing another once-over before plan B$. Thx

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll try taking out the new connecting wire between socket and neutral switch. And I meant the bike runs as normal (with key in and on), and the clock appears when bike is off and key out (as normal). I'll give the whole thing another once-over before plan B$. Thx

My clock doesn't come on unless the ignition is on.. Humm

yaminator

roll, roll me away
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah you guys! Fixed it! All I did was go in there for a third time, take everything apart and very carefully, slowly, clean all the socket harness connections I had originally unplugged, using some WD40, and re-check and jiggle all the ground points and all nearby wires. And this time I did it with the neg terminal unplugged on the battery. After totally re-hooking the sockets I then WD40'd the key switch just in case . Re-attached the neg batt terminal, turn the key and .....it lit right up again like new. The display is back. Major lesson from this forum is: There's nothing that can't be fixed as long as you don't give up and if you can get a little wisdom from the right fellow bike bros. Oh, and for the time being the neutral light is behaving like it should, so at least I know how to tackle it if it happens again. Maybe the whole thing was a ground connection issue after all. Anyway, thanks! Ride on

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Excellent! Kinda figured it'd be where you played.

Just as a side note, next time the bikes apart (as it was), I'd put some dilectric grease in any connector you pull apart( ground wires too as well as battery terminals).

It'll prevent corrosion and water intrusion. Heck, I'll put it on the base of a standard bulb before it goes in the socket (real light coating).

Once that grease is in, you'll pretty much never have an issue with that connector...

Learned that from my FJR which a plastic connector under that tank that liked to catch water and turn green... Spent 6 hours at a dealer trying to find the issue with no luck. Someone posted (on an FJR forum) the issue, sure enough, mine was green and nasty. Cleaned it up, loaded it with dilectric grease, fixed it and it ran great until I sold it (and never had that connector off again, period)