Thoughts on Lithium Batteries?

larcklorn

Reaction score
Visit site
I was at the International Motorcycle Show in Indianapolis this past weekend and there were three or four vendors showing off their new Lithium batteries (Ballistic, StarkPower, Shorai, etc.). Any experience with these? With the FZ6's low amount of extra amps, I am wondering if you plugged in a higher AMP battery if you could run more items off of it. Thoughts?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I believe stator is the *weak* point when it comes to plugging in accessories, not the battery.

If you plug in enough toys to negate the charging effect, eventually the battery will drain, no matter what capacity it is, no?

I love my Shorai because it weighs 7 pounds less than original battery and because it doesn't lose charge like lead acid / gel batteries.

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
I am also interested as to the size difference between the normal FZ6 battery and these new ones. Mine works fine as i ride day in day out but if left for more then 2-3 days it struggles to start so i am due a new battery and have contemplated a new Lithium battery as a replacement

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
I believe stator is the *weak* point when it comes to plugging in accessories, not the battery.

If you plug in enough toys to negate the charging effect, eventually the battery will drain, no matter what capacity it is, no?

I love my Shorai because it weighs 7 pounds less than original battery and because it doesn't lose charge like lead acid / gel batteries.

Got a link to one by any chance ?

larcklorn

Reaction score
Visit site

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome - Shorai LFX Batteries

Ballistic Performance Components

Stark Power

Im sure there are others, but this will get you started. I know stark will let you charge over a trickle charger (when needed - like you let it sit for 6 months or something), but some of the others may require something else.

Cheers will take a look, my bike never sits so i don't even own a battery tender. But i just like the idea of something smaller and lighter that can do the same job. Thanks for the links will check em out

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
From what I understand Lithium Iron Phos. (LiFePO4) batteries don't like to sit for longer periods with a drain on them. An example might be if you had an alarm system that has a transceiver.
If you use your bike often or get a tender the LiFePO4 should be fine.

The ampere capacity of the battery won't effect you except that it can deliver more cranking amps and give you great amp hr. capacity.

As Erci said the limit is the charging system so if you do get a higher current capability battery it's actually a benefit in that you'll have a higher capacity battery. :)

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Cheers will take a look, my bike never sits so i don't even own a battery tender. But i just like the idea of something smaller and lighter that can do the same job. Thanks for the links will check em out

Shorai will be smaller than stock and comes with lots of pre-cut pads to make it fit snugly into the battery box.

According to Shorai, it can sit for months without needing charging, provided the bike doesn't have a significant drain in "off" mode.

Shorai does recommend their own charger, but in general they recommend not using any charger at all.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Shorai will be smaller than stock and comes with lots of pre-cut pads to make it fit snugly into the battery box.

According to Shorai, it can sit for months without needing charging, provided the bike doesn't have a significant drain in "off" mode.

Shorai does recommend their own charger, but in general they recommend not using any charger at all.

Exactly! If you do get a tender you want one for this type battery as apposed to other wet cell/AGM type batteries.

Also: This technology should not be confused with other lithium batteries as used with laptops and cell phones etc. LiFePO4 are much more stable without the temperature runaway characteristics of the other type lithiums.

Last edited:

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site

ERCI is that Shorai in your Fz1? I was looking at those and the Ballistic lithium 8 cell.

Also, how does it fair in the cold? I'm not in near as cold as weather, it may get down to 38F here in sunny AZ.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
ERCI is that Shorai in your Fz1? I was looking at those and the Ballistic lithium 8 cell.

Also, how does it fair in the cold? I'm not in near as cold as weather, it may get down to 38F here in sunny AZ.

Yup, it's in my FZ1. I have the regular copacity one (14), not the optional larger (18) one.

I've had it out when it was in high 20's.. no cranking/starting issues to report.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
From what I understand Lithium Iron Phos. (LiFePO4) batteries don't like to sit for longer periods with a drain on them. An example might be if you had an alarm system that has a transceiver.
If you use your bike often or get a tender the LiFePO4 should be fine.

The ampere capacity of the battery won't effect you except that it can deliver more cranking amps and give you great amp hr. capacity.

As Erci said the limit is the charging system so if you do get a higher current capability battery it's actually a benefit in that you'll have a higher capacity battery. :)
Most AED (automated external defibrillators) have Li ion batteries and they are extremly robust and maintain a decent charge. Caridac science offer a 4 year warranty on their batteries. In my previous job I headed a £250,000 tender for new defibs. Battery capacity and durability was a serious consideration.

Neil

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
From what i know about Li-Poly Batteries from RC-Plane flying, lithium batteries have to be cycled properly for them to keep their charge. however they can be cycled and "resurrected." Once charge is lost it can be brought back through a proper cycle. But if poorly cycled they can be dangerous, and catch fire, where the Lithium (which is an Alkali not Alkaline) turns into a powerful catalyst and the fire is incredibly hot and destructive (blow up your house with a big battery and a water heater).

But battery tech, especially lithium has come a long way since i quit flying. and the price has come way down too. a 700mA 3cell used to be $85. i would still use my AccuCycle charger instead of a BatteryTender though, as i know it will cycle Li-Po's efficiently.

Li-Ion's are a much safer battery than Li-Poly's though

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
From what i know about Li-Poly Batteries from RC-Plane flying, lithium batteries have to be cycled properly for them to keep their charge. however they can be cycled and "resurrected." Once charge is lost it can be brought back through a proper cycle. But if poorly cycled they can be dangerous, and catch fire, where the Lithium (which is an Alkali not Alkaline) turns into a powerful catalyst and the fire is incredibly hot and destructive (blow up your house with a big battery and a water heater).

But battery tech, especially lithium has come a long way since i quit flying. and the price has come way down too. a 700mA 3cell used to be $85. i would still use my AccuCycle charger instead of a BatteryTender though, as i know it will cycle Li-Po's efficiently.

This is what scared me away from buying a Lithium battery already. My battery get's a little cranky, or I should say not cranky enough in the cold weather. The man at the parts department at my shop, said his friend had got one in his GSXR750 and they went out for a ride, parked to do some stuff and when they went back to the bikes, it had caught fire. Only had the battery in there a short while, like a week or something and this was the first long ride they had taken.

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
I have two Triumph Sprints and the trickle charge times compared to my Yammie assures me that the drain while sitting is quite a lot less with my FZ6. A Shorai is definitely in my future! Much less weight, better cranking, and a charge could last a year, or at least 6 months. They do not like frigid cold though, neither do I!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Lithium turns into a powerful catalyst and the fire is incredibly hot and destructive

At least the FZ1 battery is directly under my crotch.. should be pleasant if it goes off!!

Shorai is actually Lithium Iron.. whatever that means.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Boeing is not impressed...

0117-lithium-battery-630x420.jpg

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Yup, it's in my FZ1. I have the regular copacity one (14), not the optional larger (18) one.

I've had it out when it was in high 20's.. no cranking/starting issues to report.

Ok, I just did some research and the regular (14) battery is $145 and the Duration (18) is $170. Is there any reason for the bigger one?

I ride everyday, the most the bike sits is one day at a time. I don't have any accessories now but would like a 12v plug to put in tail of the bike to charge my cell phone/iPad mini. I will probably never use GPS since I have a knack for memorizing maps easily. I will probably never use heated grips because it never gets that cold here. However, if someone were to invent an AC unit to attach on the bike I'd get it for the summer here.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Short story; friend with MV Augusta Brutale bought a very expensive light weight high capacity battery and my observation is this: Although the technology has come a long ways, its not there yet.
When below 45F, this things will not crank that bike to save its life. After you grind on it slowly - it makes so much heat internally that 6 min later, it seems to have CC power to start it but IMO, cranking slow on an expensive italian starter motor will likely kill it. Dollar per dollar and pound per pound - great for race application when money is no object - for DD, lead lasts for years!