First time push starting the bike today

PurpleZJ

Reaction score
Visit site
Went to walmart to grab some stuff and afterwards went to the wendys drive thru. With wearing the helmet and the loud bike I hit the kill switch at the order queue and at the windows. When I went to leave the battery was too low to turn the bike over. I pushed the bike out of the way and sat there contemplating my choices. I was really looking forward to just eating my take out at home and not while waiting for a friend with jumpers. so I hopped on youtube and watched a vid about push starting a bike. I gave it a try, although I chose to stay on the bike. I was on mostly flat ground but there was a small grade down leaving the lot I pushed down it with the bike, dumped the clutch in 2nd whilst hitting the starter and a slight twist of the throttle and bam she fired right up. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to do. I've done this in my old truck but never on a bike before. I'm glad I know I can do it on decently flat ground in case the need arises again in the future.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad to hear it was a success!
I guess this was one of those times where a convience (cell phone) paid off:thumbup: Gotta love the internet in a pinch:BLAA:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I thought the end of the story was going to be that you had the person tending the drive through help you push your bike.

Work smart, not hard.

lazamus69

Heavy User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
No need to hit the starter as long as your ignition is in the ON position it will fire right up once you dump the clutch. Years ago I drove around in a Nissan hardbody for months parking on hills when my starter died. No fun but I was too broke to buy a new one.

PurpleZJ

Reaction score
Visit site
ha yeah the cell was very convenient, I was sure I would be able to do it on flat ground but seeing a video of someone else doing it was more encouragement to try it. I got the weirdest look from a little old lady driving into the lot as I'm mounted on the bike attempting to run as fast as possible. haha.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
No need to hit the starter as long as your ignition is in the ON position it will fire right up once you dump the clutch. Years ago I drove around in a Nissan hardbody for months parking on hills when my starter died. No fun but I was too broke to buy a new one.

+3 no need to hit starter as long as ignitions on (I've left my heated grips on a couple of times in the winter :eek:).

Also check your emergency off switch, one time in the winter my bike wouldn't start, so I automatically assumed it was the battery and tried to give it a push start, but to no avail, after running up and down the street a couple of times I realised my engine stop switch was off :banghead:

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just had to replace the battery in mine,was fine the night before, went to go to work and nothing,that whirring click,click noise is the worst sound in the world at 5:45am !
Couldnt push start mine coz my driveway is steep and the garage is at the bottom !
To make it worse I hadnt registered my car, thought I would leave it till payday, only four days and this happened on day one :banghead:

chucknorris

Reaction score
Visit site
Great job on starting it up,but I wouldn't do it often it will wear the sprocket,I use to have an old yammy 250 exciter that I jumped everyday and started to wear the sprocket:spank:But the odd time won't hert...

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Great job on starting it up,but I wouldn't do it often it will wear the sprocket,I use to have an old yammy 250 exciter that I jumped everyday and started to wear the sprocket:spank:But the odd time won't hert...

How will it wear the sprocket anymore than normal use will?

PurpleZJ

Reaction score
Visit site
+3 no need to hit starter as long as ignitions on (I've left my heated grips on a couple of times in the winter :eek:).

Also check your emergency off switch, one time in the winter my bike wouldn't start, so I automatically assumed it was the battery and tried to give it a push start, but to no avail, after running up and down the street a couple of times I realised my engine stop switch was off :banghead:

hahaha that would suck. As for hitting the starter, that's what was recommended in the vid I watched

chucknorris

Reaction score
Visit site
What ever happens when you slip the clutch and the chain pulls tight on the sprocket to keep up because for a breif moment the tire and sprocket will stop to catch... If you attempt it a few times a day and the bike dosn't start the back tire stops will even lay a stip on pavement.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 to not using the starter button

I found out the hard way after my charging system broke, i'd almsot get it started and pressing the starter would make it stall

just make sure the kill switch is off

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you got it sorted out! I do this once in a while in my car for fun and a couple times on my ninja just because. I actually thought I needed to on the Ninja because I must have idiotically hit the engine kill switch to off and I normally just pull turn it off with the keys so I push started it three times (three stupid looking waddle runs with it) before I realized the switch wasn't on... and that was after borrowing my dad's Honda Interceptor to get to school haha

And yeah, no need for the starter when doing it (unless some bikes are weird like that but I've never heard of such a thing)

PurpleZJ

Reaction score
Visit site
Left my key on today while chatting with the new neighbors and had to do it again. Grrrr lol. And exiting the highway I saw a guy with a Gsxr on the shoulder so I stopped and helped him push start his haha. At least bikes are easier than pushing my old truck back out of the driveway and then having to push it on my flat street with enough speed to start it hahahaha