Finally Replaced the Battery

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, after 8 years and 11 months I decided that the stock, original battery had served its lifetime and I replaced it this morning.

A couple of weeks ago I rode for the first time in several weeks and I had forgotten to connect up the Optimate. She started first time but was spluttering if I tried to accelerate too fast. I made it to work and back and put it on the Optimate, yesterday after 2 weeks on charge she ran flawlessly but I decided to play it safe and get a new battery.

Almost 9 years on the original battery must be some kind of record, certainly everyone I have told was pretty surprised.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I suspect that is a record (unless the bike was in storage!).

The original owner of my bike had the OEM battery replaced under warrenty the day after he picked it up (brand new bike)!!

I've changed it once in 10,000 miles or so, still going strong...

CNY Fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Andz

I am still running the original in my 2004 FZ. I contemplate changing it out every year. Like you, I have used an Optimate III since year one.

SteveH41

Reaction score
Visit site
I started using an optimate when I got my bike, about 2 months ago I smelled something like sulphur in the garage and thought it was my battery overcharging etc so got a new battery and fitted it. Got the same smell a couple of weeks ago, decided to go outside and have a sniff, would appear that an industrial unit nearby creates this smell occasionally and there was nothing wrong with my original oem battery . Oh well :)

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I suspect that is a record (unless the bike was in storage!).

If by storage you mean laying it up for winter, taking the battery out etc. then no, that was never done. The Optimate definitely extended the lifespan though, a couple of times it was so dead that the clock wasn't even on but the Optimate revived it.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Once again, people on this forum who tend to replace with aftermarket parts, think again. Certain OEM parts are just top quality. Battery one of them.

After replacing my OEM battery with a Cycle Gear Battery that had a lifetime guarantee as long as you owned your bike, I decided to spend the extra money and go back to the OEM after going through 3 of their batterries within the same time frame of going through one OEM.

I would like to learn more about this Optimate.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Once again, people on this forum who tend to replace with aftermarket parts, think again. Certain OEM parts are just top quality. Battery one of them.

After replacing my OEM battery with a Cycle Gear Battery that had a lifetime guarantee as long as you owned your bike, I decided to spend the extra money and go back to the OEM after going through 3 of their batterries within the same time frame of going through one OEM.

I would like to learn more about this Optimate.

I think its a battery charger:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/TecMate-TM-151-OptiMate-Desulfating-Maintainer/dp/B001P5SU24/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360526875&sr=8-1&keywords=optimate+3]TecMate TM-151 OptiMate 3+ 0.6Amp Desulfating Charger/Maintainer : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]